Exclusions in Avast and MBAM

Hi, jamjar:

I don't use Avast, & what you mention looks correct to me, but here are the official instructions for Avast and MBAM exclusions:

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Avast! Antivirus 6 (Free, Pro and Internet Security):

• Open Avast! antivirus and click on REAL-TIME SHIELDS on the left
  • Click on File System Shield on the left and click on Expert Settings
  • Click the Exclusions section
  • Click on Browse next to the blank entry at the bottom of the list (this will be the only entry if no other exclusions have been set yet)
  • In the Select the areas window click on the + next to C:
  • Click the + next to Program Files Note: For 64 bit Windows versions this will be Program Files (x86)
  • Click the box next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on OK
  • Click OK again
  • Click on Web Shield on the left and click Expert Settings
  • Click on Exclusions and check the box next to URLs to exclude:
  • Type or copy/paste the following address:
    *.mbamupdates.com
  • Click on OK
    Also, for Avast! Internet Security:
  • Click on Behavior Shield on the left and click Expert Settings
  • Click on Trusted Processes
  • Click on Browse next to the blank entry at the bottom of the list (this will be the only entry if no other exclusions have been set yet)
  • Navigate to C:Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click once on mbam.exe and click Open Note: For 64 bit Windows versions this will be Program Files (x86)
  • Do the same for the following files:
    • mbamgui.exe
    • mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on OK

[*]Close Avast! antivirus

Set Exclusions for Avast! Antivirus Free, Pro and Internet Security in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click on the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on avast software and click on OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

I assume everything is working OK?

One of the moderators or more expert folks or Avast users will likely spot this thread and add anything else that I did not include.

Hope this helps a bit!

daledoc1

• 2 months later...

daledoc1 most of those exclusions are fine except for the webshield exclusion as the webshield does not scan the malwarebytes updates anyway, that is done with the network shield so who ever did those exclusions made a slight mistake there.

Personally though no exclusion's are necesary in avast for malwarebytes but if you feel you want them then just add the malwarebytes program file to the file system shield exclusions, the main exclusion that is not listed there is C:Windows\Temp\avast which should be added to the ignore list in malwarebytes because this is where avast unpacks its files and it would not be good for avast if this file was stomped on by malwarebytes.

Hello, craigb:

Couple things:

1) First, this is a slightly stale topic, to which the OP never replied.

and

2) That verbiage is copied verbatim from the standard text which was written by the MBAM staff.

(But of course, there's always a chance of mistakes.)

As I mentioned in my reply, I do not use Avast, so I was posting the standard material to which I had access at that time.

Thanks for pointing out your important observations - I'm sure the MBAM folks will make any needed changes. :)

Best regards,

daledoc1

Sorry daledoc1 i didn't notice the date of the post, i was linked to this thread from a post over at the avast forum so i thought i had better mention that there were some mistakes in the exclusions, i know that the exclusions wern't of your doing's but at least it did reveal some small issues there.

Craig :)