how to stop Malwarebytes from loading at startup

My computer is old and has only 256 meg ram. I don't want Malwasrebytes to come up into the tray at startup. It boggs down the startup and rarely works anyway. I have Avira and that starts up easily. I manually scan my computer every night. Is there a way to prevent Malware bytes from attempting to start at startup?

thanks,

John

Hi, and welcome to MBAM:

Yes, there is: Open the main GUI > protection tab > untick the box that says "start protection module with Windows".

Also, have you set the reciprocal exclusions for Avira and MBAM? That can improve performance quite a bit, although 'tis true that you are quite low on RAM, as you noted. :)

Cheers,

daledoc1

I should have mentioned that the computer is Windows XP and I am currently running the free version of Malwarebytes. One day Malwarebytes produced a message box that said it would demonstrate the features of the full version if I wanted to try it. I clicked OK and since then it has tried to install at startup.

I don't know where the main GUI >protection tab > is. If it's supposed to be one of the tabs on Malwarebytes, it's not on the free version.

thanks,

John

Hello, John:

Thanks for the additional info.

Yes, only the PRO version can be configured to load at Windows startup.

I assumed from what you initially described that you were already running the PRO version.

I am a bit confused by what you describe: are you saying that the free trial of the MBAM PRO version is trying to install with the next computer restart (reboot), or that the MBAM PRO trial is already installed and that the active protection module is trying to load at Windows startup (which is the default setting)?

If it's the former, then it might be best to just uninstall MBAM and reinstall it cleanly, choosing NOT activate the free trial for the PRO version, if you only want to use the FREE version?

If it's the latter, then you should be able to open the main user interface and disable (untick) the option to have the protection module load at Windows startup (see attached screenshot).

Either way, you still might want to set up the mutual permissions for MBAM and Avira, to improve performance.

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Avira on 32 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Avira and click on Local Protection on the left
  2. Click on Guard
  3. Click on Configuration on the upper right
  4. Click the checkbox next to Expert mode on the upper left so that it is checked
  5. Under Guard, click the + next to Scan to expand the list
  6. Click on Exceptions
  7. Under Processes to be omitted by the Guard click the ... button next to the blank white box
  8. In the browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  9. Double-click on mbam.exe then click the Add button
  10. Repeat steps 7-9 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on Apply

[*]Close Avira's window

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Avira on 64 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Avira and click on Local Protection on the left
  2. Click on Guard
  3. Click on Configuration on the upper right
  4. Click the checkbox next to Expert mode on the upper left so that it is checked
  5. Under Guard, click the + next to Scan to expand the list
  6. Click on Exceptions
  7. Under Processes to be omitted by the Guard click the ... button next to the blank white box
  8. In the browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  9. Double-click on mbam.exe then click the Add button
  10. Repeat steps 7-9 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on Apply

[*]Close Avira's window

Set Exclusions for Avira in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Avira and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

I'm sure someone more expert than I will have some additional advice.

Thanks for your patience & sorry for any misunderstanding,

daledoc1

post-29793-0-42601900-1311527247.jpg

I am a bit confused by what you describe: are you saying that the free trial of the MBAM PRO version is trying to install with the next computer restart (reboot), or that the MBAM PRO trial is already installed and that the active protection module is trying to load at Windows startup (which is the default setting)?

If it's the former, then it might be best to just uninstall MBAM and reinstall it cleanly, choosing NOT activate the free trial for the PRO version, if you only want to use the FREE version?

If it's the latter, then you should be able to open the main user interface and disable (untick) the option to have the protection module load at Windows startup (see attached screenshot).

I'm sure someone more expert than I will have some additional advice.

Thanks for your patience & sorry for any misunderstanding,

daledoc1

You are obviously an expert. Thanks for the settings to allow Avira and Malwarebytes to run at the same time.

I should have been more specific.

The MBAM PRO trial is already installed and the active protection module is trying to load at Windows startup (which is the default setting).

The problem is that the GUI interface is not the pro version so it looks like this:

post-88787-0-87599100-1311529837.jpg

Hmmmmmmm, I see what you mean.

I may be having a senior moment, but it looks as if you are still running only the FREE version (as I do not see PRO in the ribbon at the top)?

Truth be told, I'm not 100% familiar with the finer points of the new 14-day free trial of the PRO version (as it is a new feature). And I am just a home user, so I'm not 100% certain if what you are seeing is correct or reflects a partially corrupted install of the PRO trial version.

Are you sure that the protection module is trying to load with Windows startup?

Anyway, we may need to wait for someone more expert to help us out here...

In the interim, though, a clean reinstall might do the trick...

MBAM clean reinstall instructions:

Follow these procedures as outlined below for the FREE version:

Download and run this utility: mbam-clean.exe

It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

After the computer restarts, Temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here.

Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again.

Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. (Use the steps described in my last post.)

Sorry for apparently leading you down the garden path -- your original post seemed like such a straightforward question.

Thanks again for your patience,

daledoc1

• 2 years later...

I see this is an old topic, however I have exactly the same problem.  I downloaded the Free Version and ended up with the Trial Version which slows my old XP Windows PC down to almost a stop !

I have uninstalled it and reinstalled and there is no tick box to not allow the Free Trial.  Unfortunately not being techie whatsoever I don't understand how to stop the programme from starting up automatically. 

At the moment all I can do is just install the programme as and when I need to use it to check my PC. 

Hello and :welcome:

Sorry your having issues with MBAM Trial.... Please see below for instructions on how to fix this....

• Please download mbam-clean.exe from here to your desktop and save it.

• Please close all open applications and temporarily shutdown your antivirus to avoid any conflicts when running the tool.

• Locate the file mbam-clean.exe and double-click to run it and follow the onscreen prompts.

• It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important

• After the computer restarts, ensure that your antivirus is enabled and download the latest version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from here and save it to your desktop.

• Now close all open applications including your browser and again temporarily disable your antivirus as before and launch the Malwarebytes installer you just downloaded.

• Please make sure to uncheck the Trial checkmark near the end of the installation. (see image below)

• Please make sure you check for updates at the end of the installation as well.

DkgJ7Zr.png