McAfee's McShield freezes syatem after startup.

Hello;

Because I couldn't find a solution for my problem in the common issues section I've started a new topic;

First of all; My system is clean of viruses, both scans of McAfee and Malwarebytes do run without any problems. (And finds nothing)

Short description of my environment (only relevant to this problem);

- Windows 7 Ultimated (x64)

- McAfee AntiVirus Plus version 11.0.578 (64bit)

- MalwareBytes Anti-Malware version 1.51.1.18000 (32bit)

Sometimes (not always) all running programs freezes 9 minutes after I've started my PC. Before it freezes, McAfee gives me a warning that my system is not protected. After looking at the status of McAfee; is starts again and the system is protected. Not long after that all running programs freezes. (1st event) You can move the mouse and start the task manager, but it will not appear. Waiting a couple minutes (5 minutes) everything comes alive again and all programs which I've started after the freeze are appearing. After that the system and all programs (including McAfee and Malwarebytes) are running fine without any problems.

Puzzled over this situation I took a look at the event viewer (programs section) and saw 2 error messages which may explain this problem;

1st error event 18:46;

A thread in process C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.

The process will be terminated. Thread id : 2464 (0x9a0)

Thread address : 0x00000000775E164A

Thread message :

Build VSCORE.14.4.0.333 / 5400.1158

Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume1\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\CMD.EXE

by C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

2nd error event 18:51;

A thread in process C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.

The process will be terminated. Thread id : 4292 (0x10c4)

Thread address : 0x00000000775E135A

Thread message :

Build VSCORE.14.4.0.333 / 5400.1158

Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume1\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\nl-NL\MSMPEG2ENC.DLL.mui

by C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

After both events McShield starts normally (only to fail again after the 1st event)

Looks like a startup clash to me. McShield wants to protect the named file, but couldn't because the file was scanned by the MBAM real time scanning mechanism? I've looked at the MBAMservice and it already starts delayed. (Done by Win7 after encountering the first time occurrence? 14 clashes/events were seen during the 1st occurrence, after that each occurrence took only 2 clashes/events. So I think Win7 moved it from automatic to automatic with delay. Looks like sometimes the delay time is to short?)

This problem occurred since I've installed and registered Malwarebytes on 17/8, and since that time this problem occurred 6 times.

Is this a know problem and can it be resolved? I've you need more information reply/e-mail me.

Hi, hader:

I used to use McAfee, but no longer.

I do recall that there have been some compatibility issues with MBAM and McAfee that have required a bit of extra tweaking to get them to run together properly.

Until a current McAfee user and/or MBAM staffer comes along, please have a look at this topic and also the instructions for setting the reciprocal permissions and exclusions for McAfee and MBAM.

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in McAfee Total Protection 2011 on 32 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open McAfee and click on Navigation in the upper right hand corner.
  2. Click on Firewall located under Features.
  3. Click on Program Permissions and wait for the list to populate.
  4. Click the Add button and then click browser.
  5. Add the following files to the firewall with full access:
    Note: On 64 bit Windows versions these files will be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click OK

[*]Close the McAfee main window and restart your computer.

Set Exclusions for McAfee Total Protection 2011 in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on McAfee and click OK.
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on McAfee.com and click OK.
    Note: For 64 bit Windows versions these folders will be in C:\Program Files (x86)
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Please post back and let us know if this helps to resolve your issues.

Thanks!

daledoc1

Hello daledoc1;

Thank you for your quick response.

Regarding your 2 point;

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in McAfee Total Protection 2011 on 32 bit Windows Versions:

I've looked at this item already, and they have both (MBAM.exe and MBABservice.exe) full access to the Internet from the start. (installation of Malwarebytes)

I don't think thats the issue here; It's a startup problem (an internal PC problem) not an Internet access issue.

Set Exclusions for McAfee Total Protection 2011 in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

A good suggestion. Missed that one. I've putted McAfee on the ignore list. But I've still doubts on this one. The problem is not that Malwarebytes have an issue with McAfee, but McAfee has an issue with Malwarebytes. Remember a part of McAfee program suite McShield.exe terminates itself because it wants access to a file which is already being scanned by Malwarbytes.

Thanks for the points though ;)

I'm gonna take a look at that topic you've mentioned.

It will be hard to say if it will be resolved in the immediate future. This problem has occured 6 time in 14 days. (And I am a heavy user :P )

Regards

Hader

• Root Admin

It can be difficult to get McAfee setup with the proper exclusions but once it has been setup then both programs should get along just fine with each other.

Try reviewing the other programs and how and what they exclude, then go through the interface for McAfee and try to setup the same or similar exclusions.

Please let us know if you continue to have an issue with getting it working correctly.

Thanks, AdvancedSetup! :)

Hader, it's generally the case (and particularly so with McAfee - from my own past experience, and from a few threads I found at the McAfee forum), that it might make a difference as to the order in which MBAM and McAfee were/are installed.

I know it would probably be a chore, but you might want to consider: uninstalling both McAfee (including running their removal tool) & MBAM (see below); then reinstall McAfee, and, finally reinstall MBAM, using the steps below.

(When you get to the part about setting up the exclusions, follow the steps outlined in my earlier reply).

• If you are using MBAM PRO, be sure to have your license ID and key handy first.
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here.
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so (very important!).
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here.
    Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license ID & key you were sent via email, if you are using the PRO version.
  • Launch MBAM and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab (if not done during installation) and check for updates.
  • Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray (if using the PRO version).
  • Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications, and then restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQs here, or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Obviously, if you can get things working without having to go through this, that would be swell.

If not, it might be something to consider.

Earlier versions of McAfee consumer products worked just fine with MBAM PRO -- something with their more recent versions has made it a bit more challenging.

Please do post back and let us know how it goes!

Regards,

daledoc1 (home user of MBAM and McAfee survivor ;) )

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again;

Did run Malewarebytes for quite some tine without the real-protection, without any problems at all. As soon as I turned the real-protection on again, the freeze problem re-appeared.

Did de-install everything and installed it again (1st McAfee, 2nd Malwarebytes) The problem stays the same.

Investigated if McAfee has some other exclusion settings; apart from the firewall settings it does not have any other exclusion settings.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Regards

Hader

Hi, hader:

Thanks for the update.

Sorry it's still not working.

I think we'll have to wait for AdvancedSetup and/or another expert or McAfee user to weigh in.

I know that the 2009/2010 versions of McAfee consumer programs worked OK with MBAM PRO.

They changed something in their programming with the 2011 versions to break that. :angry:

And the general lack of configurability of their software makes it very difficult to resolve this.

While waiting for additional help, have you tried the McAfee user forum?

(I have a feeling I know what they are going to tell you, but it's worth a try.)

Sorry I couldn't provide a solution for you.

Thanks very much for your patience,

daledoc1

• Root Admin

Try temporarily disabling MBAM protection from loading on startup. Then manually launch MBAM after reboot and go to the Ignore tab and add the following folder to the ignore.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee ???

Then try launching the Protection Module and see if it helps or not. Assuming you also added the original requested exclusions in the program.

• 4 weeks later...

Try temporarily disabling MBAM protection from loading on startup. Then manually launch MBAM after reboot and go to the Ignore tab and add the following folder to the ignore.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee ???

Then try launching the Protection Module and see if it helps or not. Assuming you also added the original requested exclusions in the program.

Hello;

A status update. Included the above path (was the correct path) to the already inserted excluded paths, and monitored this change for a while but still the problem persists.... :(

Looked also at something else; Tried to schedule the start of MBAM service a.e. 10min after startup, but the MBAM service doesn't allow tempering (can imagine why. A trojan/malware program can stop secretly the service in order to avoid detection) Besides the windows delayed startup option there is no other way to delay the service any further. Can solve this by hacking it, but I believe thats not the correct way to solve this problem. The risk of introducing other side-effects is imaginable. My system is stable as it is.... :P

Gonna try to make a ticket at McAfee. See that the mbamservice.exe isn't the only program McShield is complaining about. See also svhosts, wlmail and other programs battling it out over the fact who may access a file at a certain time. mbamservice.exe is number 1 on the top 10 list, but only because it's real-time scanner is more likely to be active each time the PC starts than any other programs.

I'm surprised to see that no other MBAM users has any similar problems in conjunction with this McAfee software. Can the speed of a very fast SDD drive be the cause for this problem?

Regards

Hans

Hi there Hader

You may find it useful to try the manual registry method of adding exclusions to McAfee:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=76402

The info on how to do this is in post #3 and #9 ..

I have configured lots of systems successfully using those registry exclusions and setting MBAM to ignore McAfee's files and folders. 64 bit and 32 bit. But none of them had a solid state drive... Good luck!