107 replies to this topic

#21 Spinosa

Spinosa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:57 AM

Bonjour,
Depuis le 14 janvier 09,alors qu'auparavant je n'avais aucun problème, je ne peux plus faire une recherche de nuisibles avec Malwarebytes anti-Malware free. Au bout de 45 min en exécutant un examen complet, le scan se fige sur le dossier système C:\Windows\Installer\111 fa.ms. Le logiciel ne répond plus, le gestionnaire des tâches est inopérant, le PC est bloqué. Je dois agir sur l'interrupteur marche arrêt du PC pour le redemarrer.
WindowsXP-SP3, Norton antivirus 2009, Spybot avec Tea Timer, Ad-aware 2009, Livebox, Pare-feu windows?
J'ai effectué les opérations indiquées pour le débogage, réinstallé Malwarebytes le problème subsiste.

#22 Perth2008

Perth2008

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:29 PM

(Reposted from another forum on the "freezing" issue ... not sure if this will help clarify or further confuse.)

I have the same problem (see Helpdesk Ticket #2575) with Ver 1.33 and the suggested debugging procedure did not work for me.

I got the following message after Step 5 in the procedure:

"The database you are using is not supported by this version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Download the latest version of the program."

I then reinstalled Ver 1.33. What I have noticed, based on comments on another forum page discussing Malwarebytes freezing, is that if I uncheck "Always scan memory objects" on the Settings tab the (Quick) Scan completes albeit it takes about 20 minutes, much longer than usual.

For me the freezing issue "coincided" (more or less) with the upgrade of Ad-Aware to the Anniversary Edition and my installation of Spyware Blaster ... but it's probably just a coincidence. Perhaps there is a compatibility issue with other anti-malware/virus products?

FYI I run the following PC protection programs:

Norton 360 2.0 (the only active anti-virus product)
Malwarebytes 1.33
Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition*
Spybot S&D (I am aware of some compatibility issues between Ad-Aware and Spybot ... BTW, I do NOT use the Tea Timer feature ... after all how do I tell if a process is OK to run?)
SpywareBlaster*
CCleaner
* Marks recently installed or upgraded.

I do NOT have Zone Alarm which is cited on other forum pages as a possible cause of the problem.

System info (via dxdiag log):
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)
BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/09/08 09:28:35 Ver: 08.00.12
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Page File: 603MB used, 4353MB available

Anyway, there are now multiple threads on the "freezing up" issue, in its various guises, and perhaps they need to be consolidated in a folder.

Let's keep this good product GOOD!

#23 Spinosa

Spinosa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:27 AM

You must read C:\Windows\Installer\111 fa.msi

#24 Gadgetman496

Gadgetman496

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same freezing issue & posted HERE before I found this thread.

I'm using v1.33 so can run the Debug tool (I did try).

I've been using Malwarebytes for a while now but never actually performed a full scan (only the quick scan).

I started a full scan & much to my surprise my system hung.

I could do nothing but force my system off by holding the power button.

After the restart I tried again & exactly the same thing happened.

I uninstalled Malwarebytes, downloaded the latest version, done the updates & ran a "Full Scan" but it hung my system yet again.

I've tried it many times now but it hangs the machine everytime I run a full scan?

It does complete a quick scan successfully everytime but not a full scan.

I'm using XP Pro SP3 & have no idea as to where to start to troubleshoot this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Gman.

-

#25 Gadgetman496

Gadgetman496

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

Soryy, that should of read "Can Not run the Debug tool"

-

#26 RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY

Marcin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:06 PM

For those looking for version 1.32 you can find it here. Do not update the database or product.
Marcin Kleczynski
Chief Executive Officer

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#27 Gadgetman496

Gadgetman496

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

For those looking for version 1.32 you can find it here. Do not update the database or product.

OK, I've downed & installed v1.32 and did not allow it to update.

Followed the instructions to the letter.

When the crash occurred (Full Scan) I too was unable to save the log file (I restarted & ran again but got the same result).

The only bit of Info I can offer is this

I watched the "Debugview" window as it populated and the very last entry (at point of freeze) was

"Connect to Server Error 0X274D"

-

#28 RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY

Marcin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:46 PM

That does not help. In fact, I don't think it was Malwarebytes related.
Marcin Kleczynski
Chief Executive Officer

#29 Spinosa

Spinosa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:02 PM

Hi!
I uninstalled the version 1-33 and resetted the version 1-32. Issue: Updated them are done automatically without intervention as well as the setting of the version 1-33

#30 Perth2008

Perth2008

• Honorary Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

Hi Guys

I guess on reflection it's not really a case of "freezing" ... although all the outward signs are that this is what is happening ... it's more a case that the scans take a LOT longer.

I have today submitted recent scan logs (MBAM staff see Request #2575) and you will note how Quick scan time increases from ~3 minutes to ~20 minutes going from 1.31 to 1.33 for my ~190GB of data & programs. The "slow down" is still occuring in the C:\windows\installer directory ... I have now checked all boxes under Settings (except "Terminate IE during removal").

Looking back over all my logs it seems to me that the "problem" arose not so much with 1.33 but the database updates from 1698 onwards ... i.e. my system slowed at 1701 ... I like others (http://www.malwareby...showtopic=10404) seem to recall an update from "1701 to 1701" (or similar ... I'm not sure but it was an update to an update from "16xx to 16xx" or "17xx to 17xx", I cannot precisely recall) about the time the problem began ... I din't think much about it at the time thinking it was a "hiccup" to do with the update to 1.33.

I have a question: is there some risk that your product (updates) may have been compromised by the recent move to have ~1000 servers providing access to updates ... I was happy getting my updates from Security Wonks (who I also use for Spybot) now I don't know where the updates are coming from ... and I guess links can be hijacked?

I am in Perth, Western Australia ... are other reporting the "freezing" problem also in my geographic area? How widespread is the freezing problem? Perhaps our local MBAM server is/was compromised? Again just a thought from a non-IT person.

A ~20 minute "quick" scan is not ideal! Is the MBAM team closer to a solution?

#31 HansV

HansV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:16 AM

I had problems with freezing after updating to version 1.33, earlier versions worked without a hitch.
It turned out to be a conflict with Norton AntiVirus 2008. If I turn off NAV's LiveProtect temporarily, MalwareBytes' quick scan runs without freezing, and a lot faster too!
Others, however, seem to have no problem with Malwarebytes in combination with Norton products, so I'm not sure what the real cause is. (See MalwareBytes on Woody's Lounge)

#32 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:04 AM

Greetings and welcome HansV.

You might consider backing up your license/key info for Norton and updating to the newest (2009) version. To do so, follow the instructions on this page: Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

I've heard NAV 09 runs lighter on system resources anyway, so you'll probably get a performance boost as well as potentially eliminating the conflict.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#33 HansV

HansV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for the welcome and for the advice!

I'll try that in a few weeks time when it's time to renew my subscription. Until then I'll get by with the workaround.

Cheers,
HansV

#34 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:16 AM

OK, just for future reference, Symantec (Norton) allows you to update to the newest version as long as your subscription is still valid. Doesn't matter much now, but once 2010 comes out it might be helpful. When you do upgrade, I (and many other techy types like me) highly recommend using the Norton Removal Tool to make sure all the components of the old version are completely removed. That site I linked to (it's on Symantec's support site) gives you a step by step walkthrough on using the tool and backing up your license info etc. to make removing and upgrading easy.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#35 Spinosa

Spinosa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:22 AM

Hi!
I have disabled the different functions of Norton 2009 and I did a quick scan with Malwarebythes version 1-33 database 1738. The screen is freezing itself on C:\Windows\Installer\110fsda.msi
Norton 2009 (Protection against: virus, spyware, worm,bots, rootkits, trojans)

#36 Maniac

Maniac

Forum Deity

• Experts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:31 AM

I encourage you to:

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here paypal.gif

#37 HansV

HansV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:07 PM

> Symantec (Norton) allows you to update to the newest version as long as your subscription is still valid

Thanks, I didn't know that. I have upgraded to Norton AntiVirus 2009, but it didn't make a difference with respect to the Malwarebytes problem: a quick scan slows down to a crawl in the C:\Windows\Installer folder. It doesn't come to a complete standstill, but each file takes minutes to scan. All processes except mbam.exe, including all Norton-related processes, are at 0% CPU usage. Yet disabling Norton 2009 autoprotect temporarily lets Malwarebytes run through its scan quickly.

#38 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:17 AM

Yep, it's probably just Norton slowing things down monitoring what MBAM is doing. Most antivirus works this way and unless there's a way to add an application to some sort of trusted list I'm not sure how to prevent it, however I don't think Norton has any such function.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#39 Spinosa

Spinosa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:49 AM

Hi!
I uninstalled the version 1-33 and downloaded the vesion 1-34. The quick scan always freezes on the system file C:\Windows\Installer\111fa.msi. In order to do a scan without freeze; I have to disable all the parameters of Norton 2009: antivirus, antispyware, advanced protction,, analyses mail, intrusion prevention

#40 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:59 AM

It looks like Norton doesn't like MBAM very much. I haven't heard of anyone else with this particular problem yet though (at least not with Norton) so you might consider running MBAM with the /debug switch and posting the log here (if you can get a log without it freezing up again).
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users