Malwarebytes & Antivirus

I am brand new to Malwarebytes. I went to a Web Site to download Malwarebytes and saw this warning "If malware is found using the free one time download, your current anti-virus is not effective." I then went directly to the Malwarebytes Web Site and did not see that warning and so I downloaded the free version. However, my curiosity was getting to me and I contacted Customer Support asking the following:

I wanted to download the free version of Malwarebytes at malwarebytes.com but I noticed a so called warning with the free download button that says "If malware is found using the free one time download, your current anti-virus is not effective." I do not want to make my McAfee program ineffective. Why would anyone download this at the expense of possibly losing their antivirus? Am I missing something? I appreciate your response. I noticed this at the following:

I went to Google and entered Malwarebytes and I clicked on this;

Malwarebytes®The Original | Malwarebytes.org

"http://www.malwarebytes.org/Anti-Malware" and it brought me to :"shop.malwarebytes.org" and this is where I found the disclaimer I just described.

I eventually went to "http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free" and downloaded the program because I did not see this warning. However, I now have to wonder if malwarebytes can in fact make my anti-virus ineffective. Thanks for your answer

I got the following very vague answer;

Hello and welcome to the Malwarebytes consumer helpdesk. Thank you for choosing Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware as your malware security solution, my name is Tom Mercado and I'll be assisting you today.

The statement is a matter of fact, not a matter of scare tactics, furthermore, we do not indicate you don't need antivirus, in fact. just the opposite.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far, Malwarebytes has not found anything but am I to understand that once it does, my McAfee antivirus will be ineffective. Can anyone give me a more detailed answer than the one I received from support. I certainly appreciate all help.

You misunderstand what was on the web site and the advice from Tom.

He is indicating that if MBAM detects malware the anti virus you have installed may not be as effective as you may think it was.

The fact is MBAM is an adjunct to your already installed anti virus application , what you indicated to be McAfee.

The fact is MBAM picks up where a traditional anti virus leaves off as indicated by Tom's statement "...we do not indicate you don't need antivirus, in fact. just the opposite."

Here's why...

There are numerous forms of malware or malicious software. There are two major classes of malware known as "trojans" and "viruses". There are also numerous sub-classes of malware under the classes "trojans" and "viruses".

The Mcafee software on your computer targets viruses and many trojans. Viruses are malware that have the ability to self-replicate meaning it spreads on its own. One way it spreads on its own is by infecting another file. That is the virus prepends, appends or inserts malicious code into a legitimate file. The McAfee software is able to detect the modification and REMOVE that added code leaving it, as best it can, they way the file existed prior to the infection. McAfee also targets malicious data files and various forms of exploit code that can lead to an infection.

MBAM doesn't target the viruses, per se, it targets the trojans and the modifications trojans make to your computer. MBAM does this very well. Thus MBAM complements the anti virus software on your computer such that you have a broader range of detection, and in the case of the paid-for full version, prevention. MBAM picks up where McAfee leaves off and McAfee picks up where MBAM leaves off.

Please feel free to ask any questions on what I wrote.

This may be heplful to read What is Malware

HTH

Hello and :welcome:

By installing Malwarebytes, it does not make your antivirus software en-effective. Your antivirus software is your first layer of protection. Malwarebytes is your second layer of protection and it helps catch malware that may get past your antivirus software. For the best protection you need to have both an antivirus program and an anti-malware program (such as Malwarebytes). With the PRO version of Malwarebytes, you get real time protection and udpates as well as automatic scanning. The Web Blocker feature in the PRO version also helps in a BIG way by blocking websites that are known to contain malware hence keeping your computer clean.

Thank you for the excellent answer. On another subject with respect to the navigation of the forum, I find it different than most other forums. Am I replying correctly by typing my reply with your answer to me or should I have chosen the "manage topic poll" option?

You misunderstand what was on the web site and the advice from Tom.

He is indicating that if MBAM detects malware the anti virus you have installed may not be as effective as you may think it was.

The fact is MBAM is an adjunct to your already installed anti virus application , what you indicated to be McAfee.

The fact is MBAM picks up where a traditional anti virus leaves off as indicated by Tom's statement "...we do not indicate you don't need antivirus, in fact. just the opposite."

Here's why...

There are numerous forms of malware or malicious software. There are two major classes of malware known as "trojans" and "viruses". There are also numerous sub-classes of malware under the classes "trojans" and "viruses".

The Mcafee software on your computer targets viruses and many trojans. Viruses are malware that have the ability to self-replicate meaning it spreads on its own. One way it spreads on its own is by infecting another file. That is the virus prepends, appends or inserts malicious code into a legitimate file. The McAfee software is able to detect the modification and REMOVE that added code leaving it, as best it can, they way the file existed prior to the infection. McAfee also targets malicious data files and various forms of exploit code that can lead to an infection.

MBAM doesn't target the viruses, per se, it targets the trojans and the modifications trojans make to your computer. MBAM does this very well. Thus MBAM complements the anti virus software on your computer such that you have a broader range of detection, and in the case of the paid-for full version, prevention. MBAM picks up where McAfee leaves off and McAfee picks up where MBAM leaves off.

Please feel free to ask any questions on what I wrote.

This may be heplful to read What is Malware

HTH

Thank you for the excellent answer. On another subject with respect to the navigation of the forum, I find it different than most other forums. Am I replying correctly by typing my reply with your answer to me or should I have chosen the "manage topic poll" option?

yw.gif

Your reply was was just fine. Manage topic poll is a totally different concept.