bwj

Malwarebytes will not install

19 posts in this topic

Saw lots of rave reviews on your product and decided to try it. However, whatever I have will not let me run malwarbytes setup. I also can't run regmon, filemon, rootkitrevealer, McAfee update and lots of other things. What I know I have is SpywareGuard 2008 and also winscenter.exe throwing errors every so often.

I've booted to a CD and run McAfee from there with current DATs but it found nothing - of course. Removed all files and services that didn't look right. I did see files there that I didn't see when booted that hard drive in the OS, which tells me there's a rootkit somewhere. Can't install malwarebytes or run regmon, etc...., in normal boot up or in safe mode. Can't find the TDSServ.exe hidden device and have tried to follow all instructions I have found for this particular piece of .... malware.... Took hard drive out and put in another machine and scanned with McAfee+Antispyware - nothing, of course. Installed Malwarebyte's AntiMalware on that machine to scan the hard drive I put in it, and it looked like it only scanned memory and the c: drive. I could find nowhere to make it scan the d: drive, which is what that drive showed up as.

So, all that to say, is there a way to make it scan anything other than the system drive?

Thanks,

bwj

Renaming mbam.exe often allows it to run even when a trojan is blocking it, although some of them are getting smarter now and blocking it anyway.

I highly recommend that you follow these instruction as best you can considering you can't run a lot of security tools, and one of our malware removal experts will be happy to give you a hand.

I cannot get it to install at all. Tried renaming that file as well as the others I mentioned, and cannot run either the files, or setup even in safe mode. As far as the instructions go, what I saw was to install the prodct. That's what I'm having issues with.

I have however taken the hard drive out and put it in another machine in order to scan it from an un-infected machine. I do have MBAM installed there, but cannot scan the d: drive that is from the initial infected machine.

Thanks,

bwj

I cannot get it to install at all. Tried renaming that file as well as the others I mentioned, and cannot run either the files, or setup even in safe mode. As far as the instructions go, what I saw was to install the prodct. That's what I'm having issues with.

Then you didn't read all of the instructions. :)

Download HijackThis, run a scan, and copy and paste the log into a new topic in this forum (making sure to explain that HijackThis was the only thing you could run). Chances are the malware will try to block HijackThis as well, so you may need to download it on another computer, rename it, and copy it to the infected computer while it is running in Safe Mode.

Sorry, forgot to mention that I did that. Missed one crucial step though - renaming it before copying it over. I copied it over, tried to run, then renamed it. Didn't work.

However, I was able to use SuperAntiSpyware to remove at least most of it. I could scan another drive other than the C: drive with it. Now, I've been able to put the hard drive back in, boot up to the OS, install mbam, update it, and am running a full scan now - found 12 objects infected thus far. Got a msg about installing system devices and needing to restart which kinda bothers me. Maybe a bootsector virus, not sure. Will let you konw.

Thanks,

bwj

I am poting to this string as I am encountering the same issues. I have a PC running XP Pro SP2 with the SpywareGuard2008 bug and have tried all suggestions to no avail.

I've renamed, I tried running as a Windows 2000, I've gone through registry items..... You name it.

I can get the install to start to the point where it asks what language should be used. When I click OK I get the install screen to flash up briefly but then nothing. I am doing all of this in Safe Mode.

Please help.....

Biff,

What worked for me was to take the drive out and put it in another one as a secondary drive, scan with SuperAntiSpyware, take it out, put it back in to original machine, boot up and install MBAM, update and run a a few times until I got a clean run.

Hope that helps!

Was hoping not to have to pull the drive. The PC is in a warehouse and not easy to get to.

Does anyone have nay other suggestions?????

I did manage to beat the AV2009 on another PC by renaming it and running as a Windows 2000 compatability.

But this Guard 2008 is being a real stubborn SOB......

Biff, please follow these instruction, and one of our malware removal experts will be happy to help you.

If you cannot perform any of the steps, then just mention that in your new topic in the Malware Removal forum.

Renaming mbam.exe often allows it to run even when a trojan is blocking it, although some of them are getting smarter now and blocking it anyway.

I highly recommend that you follow these instruction as best you can considering you can't run a lot of security tools, and one of our malware removal experts will be happy to give you a hand.

I've tried renaming it, no luck, tried loading HJInstall, no luck. Nothing will install. Internet Explorer even terminates when I search on Malwarebytes. Unfortunately, I don't have a spare drive I can load and then run the scan on the one that's having the trouble. I've even tried Safe Mode, still the same issue. I get to the Language screen and the executable terminates.

Any ideas?

I did to no avail. Neither program will run.

And you renamed HijackThis to something completely random?

yes

Also, the machine in question here(not the one I'm on now) was infected with SpyWare Guard 2008 which could not be eradicated. I had to rebuild the machine from scratch. There is no sign of spyware on the machine now but I still wanted to run Malwarebytes to be completely sure which is when I ran into the trouble. I had the same trouble with installing the application before trying to eradicate Spyware Guard 2008 which is why I defaulted to a rebuild.

Perhaps there is still remnants of Spyware Guard 2008 in the boot sector? Doesn't a rebuild completely rebuild the registry?

thanks for your help.

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes.org

If you're having Malware related issues with your computer that you're unable to resolve.

1. Please read and follow the instructions provided here: I'm infected - What do I do now?
  2. If needed please post your logs in a NEW topic here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs
  3. When posting logs please do not use any Quote, Code, or other tags. Please copy/paste directly into your post and do not attach files unless requested.
  • Please do not post any logs in the General forum. We do not work on any logs posted in the General forum.
  • Please do not install any software or use any removal/scanning tool except for those you're requested to run by the Helper that will assist you.
  • Using these other tools often makes the cleanup task more difficult and time consuming.
  • If you have already submitted for assistance at one of the other support sites on the Internet then you should not post a new log here, you should stay working with the Helper from that site until the issue is resolved.
  • Do not assume you're clean because you don't see something in the logs. Please wait until the person assisting you provides feedback.
  • There are often many others that require asistance as well, so please be patient. If no one has responded within 48 hours then please go ahead and post a request for review
  • NOTE: If for some reason you're unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one. If you can't even run HijackThis, then just proceed and post a NEW topic as shown in the second link describing your issues and someone will assist you as soon as they can.

stormnormski, is this case it may be better for you to follow Advanced Setup's instructions about starting a topic in the Malware Removal section. Obviously you will have no logs to post, so let them know that you couldn't get any of the stuff to run, and give them a breakdown of the steps you went through to try and get around it. Our malware removal experts will be able to walk you through getting some of the stuff cleaned up even without the more common tools.

Saw lots of rave reviews on your product and decided to try it. However, whatever I have will not let me run malwarbytes setup. I also can't run regmon, filemon, rootkitrevealer, McAfee update and lots of other things. What I know I have is SpywareGuard 2008 and also winscenter.exe throwing errors every so often.

I've booted to a CD and run McAfee from there with current DATs but it found nothing - of course. Removed all files and services that didn't look right. I did see files there that I didn't see when booted that hard drive in the OS, which tells me there's a rootkit somewhere. Can't install malwarebytes or run regmon, etc...., in normal boot up or in safe mode. Can't find the TDSServ.exe hidden device and have tried to follow all instructions I have found for this particular piece of .... malware.... Took hard drive out and put in another machine and scanned with McAfee+Antispyware - nothing, of course. Installed Malwarebyte's AntiMalware on that machine to scan the hard drive I put in it, and it looked like it only scanned memory and the c: drive. I could find nowhere to make it scan the d: drive, which is what that drive showed up as.

So, all that to say, is there a way to make it scan anything other than the system drive?

Thanks,

bwj

I have run into problems like this, and the poster after you is right. When I get a nasty one that blocks mbab i rename the installer to snickers.exe. No particular reason for the name. If its even nastier it won't let the install finish. In that case it will hang on 'finalizing installation' or something like that. Find the install path and copy mbam.exe then rename the copy. Run it and do a scan. Most likely it will find a boatload of malware that you can delete. Then the install should finish and you should be able to update. Good luck!

Alright read this whole forum and renamed the file worked to a point i know i have antivirus 360 virus which i have to admit who ever created it is a mean person anyways renamed it got half way threw the instalation and it looks like antivirus 360 stops it cant get it to finish and the same malwarebytes that im trying to install on my desktop worked perfectly fine on my laptop.