Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.60 released

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am running Windows XP Professional version 2002 SP3 and ever since 1.60 downloaded this morning I get Application error and it closes down.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Application Error

Event Category: (100)

Event ID: 1000

Date: 28/12/2011

Time: 13:20:28

User: N/A

Computer:

Description:

Faulting application mbamservice.exe, version 1.60.0.25, faulting module mbamcore.dll, version 1.60.0.52, fault address 0x00060ae0.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat

0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 6d 62 61 ure mba

0018: 6d 73 65 72 76 69 63 65 mservice

0020: 2e 65 78 65 20 31 2e 36 .exe 1.6

0028: 30 2e 30 2e 32 35 20 69 0.0.25 i

0030: 6e 20 6d 62 61 6d 63 6f n mbamco

0038: 72 65 2e 64 6c 6c 20 31 re.dll 1

0040: 2e 36 30 2e 30 2e 35 32 .60.0.52

0048: 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 at offs

0050: 65 74 20 30 30 30 36 30 et 00060

0058: 61 65 30 ae0

So if I understand this correctly, the "chameleon technology" eliminates the need to rename Malwarebytes (like is suggested in the Self Help Guide section)in certain circumstances on infected machines and also to work around active processes that might otherwise interfere (thus eliminating need for Rkill for example). It's basically a built-in work around on already infected machines so that users don't have to go through additional steps to begin cleaning their computer, is this correct? Also, I know there is no such thing as "100% effective" and things can change rapidly as new malware is developed constantly, but will this chameleon technology address the vast majority of the malware that currently interferes with running this product on infected machines?

Hi,

I purchased Pro version 1.51.2.1300. Now that we see the new version 1.6, I don't see any option on my software to upgrade the software version to 1.6 The only update option available which updates only database file & not the latest malwarebytes version 1.6.

Please advise how to upgrade the software version to 1.6.

So if I understand this correctly, the "chameleon technology" eliminates the need to rename Malwarebytes (like is suggested in the Self Help Guide section)in certain circumstances on infected machines and also to work around active processes that might otherwise interfere (thus eliminating need for Rkill for example). It's basically a built-in work around on already infected machines so that users don't have to go through additional steps to begin cleaning their computer, is this correct? Also, I know there is no such thing as "100% effective" and things can change rapidly as new malware is developed constantly, but will this chameleon technology address the vast majority of the malware that currently interferes with running this product on infected machines?

Yes, that's precisely what it's designed to do :). Tools like unhide.exe may still be needed for some infections (to repair some of the damage done by the infections), but yes, to get MBAM running so that it can scan and remove infections, Chameleon should do the job.

Hi,

I purchased Pro version 1.51.2.1300. Now that we see the new version 1.6, I don't see any option on my software to upgrade the software version to 1.6 The only update option available which updates only database file & not the latest malwarebytes version 1.6.

Please advise how to upgrade the software version to 1.6.

Please open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and click on the Settings tab and click Updater Settings. Make sure that Download and install program update if available. and then go to the Update tab and click on Check for Updates. You should then be offered the option to install the new version.

Yes, that's precisely what it's designed to do :). Tools like unhide.exe may still be needed for some infections (to repair some of the damage done by the infections), but yes, to get MBAM running so that it can scan and remove infections, Chameleon should do the job.

Please open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and click on the Settings tab and click Updater Settings. Make sure that Download and install program update if available. and then go to the Update tab and click on Check for Updates. You should then be offered the option to install the new version.

I see the Check for Updates button is disabled in Update tab. How to enable this button?

I see the Check for Updates button is disabled in Update tab. How to enable this button?

That means you're running on a limited user account. You need to log into an administrative user account in order to check for updates or run the program as administrator (though I recommend the former since you'll be installing the new version, and you should always be logged in as an administrator when installing or uninstalling software).

That means you're running on a limited user account. You need to log into an administrative user account in order to check for updates or run the program as administrator (though I recommend the former since you'll be installing the new version, and you should always be logged in as an administrator when installing or uninstalling software).

Oops!..I totally ignored that...it's working now....thanks for your help!

I have 1.51 Pro version on my Windows XP computer. I did the update and installation to 1.60 and now the program won't run. Clicking on the icon gives me the "Windows has encountered a problem" error, followed by "MBAMService has terminated unexpectedly -- see event log for details".

I did a System Restore to yesterday and the program still won't run. This time the error says "Run-time error 5; invalid procedure call or argument".

Help.

I have 1.51 Pro version on my Windows XP computer. I did the update and installation to 1.60 and now the program won't run. Clicking on the icon gives me the "Windows has encountered a problem" error, followed by "MBAMService has terminated unexpectedly -- see event log for details".

I did a System Restore to yesterday and the program still won't run. This time the error says "Run-time error 5; invalid procedure call or argument".

Help.

@Rox829

In lieu of posting a problem-issue here in the Malware News section, you ought to have posted in the General MBAM forum

at http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=41

Please follow this sequence for MBAM removal & re-install:

1) Go to Control Panel and Add-or-Remove programs.

uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Exit Control Panel

2) Logoff and restart your computer

Get, save, and then run the utility at the following link

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe

3)Logoff and restart your computer again.

4)Now, reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

You may download a fresh copy for the reinstall from the following link:

http://malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

If you have MBAM PRO (have a license) you will need to reenter your ID and Key afterwards to get the Protection module enabled.

IF the issue is not resolved, again, start a new Topic in the General MBAM forum

AND be sure to state your Windows version and service pack level

AND name/version of antivirus app

AND name/version if any 3rd-party firewall and /or security app that are active with Windows startup

Good luck.

Update:

Well, I semi-solved my problem with 1.60. Fortunately, I had another registered Pro 1.51 version on my laptop which I hadn't updated yet. I replaced the Malwarebytes files that had changed on my desktop with the same files from my laptop. The program is back to 1.51 and runs on my desktop.

Under Settings I unchecked the box that says "download and install program update if available", then I selected Update on my laptop and it only downloaded the database updates and not the software. I unchecked this box on my desktop as well.

Needless to say, I will avoid updating the software to 1.60 for as long as possible.

Help.

I had the same problem as Rox829 and Moeff, 1.51 ran perfectly under XP SP3 but after the updater installed 1.60.1600 the app crashed every time and showed a Windows error. Tried downloading the full app and installing over the updated version with no luck, then tried uninstalling and re-installing with the same result. Finally reverted my disk with Go-Back (once THE best a**-saving software for obsessive tinkerers, too bad Norton didn't upgrade it for Win 7) and am back with 1.51. Unless someone knows a fix I think I guess I'll just have wait for the next upgrade and hope for the best. (BTW 1.60 running fine on my Win 7 machine).

I am running Windows XP Professional version 2002 SP3 and ever since 1.60 downloaded this morning I get Application error and it closes down.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Application Error

Event Category: (100)

Event ID: 1000

Date: 28/12/2011

Time: 13:20:28

User: N/A

Computer:

Description:

Faulting application mbamservice.exe, version 1.60.0.25, faulting module mbamcore.dll, version 1.60.0.52, fault address 0x00060ae0.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat

0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 6d 62 61 ure mba

0018: 6d 73 65 72 76 69 63 65 mservice

0020: 2e 65 78 65 20 31 2e 36 .exe 1.6

0028: 30 2e 30 2e 32 35 20 69 0.0.25 i

0030: 6e 20 6d 62 61 6d 63 6f n mbamco

0038: 72 65 2e 64 6c 6c 20 31 re.dll 1

0040: 2e 36 30 2e 30 2e 35 32 .60.0.52

0048: 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 at offs

0050: 65 74 20 30 30 30 36 30 et 00060

0058: 61 65 30 ae0

Me too...1.51 ran perfectly under XP SP3 but after the updater installed 1.60.1600 the app crashed every time and showed a Windows error. Tried downloading the full app and installing over the updated version with no luck, then tried uninstalling and re-installing with the same result. Finally reverted my disk with Go-Back (once THE best a**-saving software for obsessive tinkerers, too bad Norton didn't upgrade it for Win 7) and am back with 1.51. Unless someone knows a fix I think I guess I'll just have wait for the next upgrade and hope for the best. (BTW 1.60 running fine on my Win 7 machine).

then tried uninstalling and re-installing with the same result.

Just for sake of clarity/troubleshooting.

Did you use the MBAM clean.exe tool and did you restart the computer after uninstalling had finished before attempting to reinstall again ?

The reason being is the MBAM cleanup tool is fixing a high percentage of corrupted installs on XP and some other incomplete uninstalls/installs can be attributed to a computer not being restarted when it needs to be.

• Staff

Hello :)

Good news!

Malwarebytes Chameleon technology:

Gets Malwarebytes Anti-Malware running even when blocked by infection.

Not sure to understand, how is this possible?

If the process is killed, and the driver has not been loaded, how MBAM could re-init itself without parent process recalling it?