"The latest version of ..." no it is not.

Feature request: better update(jump to latest version).

Condition:

You open MBAM and get this message:

"The latest version of malwarebytes' anti-malware has been downloaded. Malwarebytes' Anti-malware will now close and install the latest version."

The problem is if the current version is more than one version old. The statement presented is erroneous because The latest version of malwarebytes' anti-malware does not install, but the NEXT version of MBAM installs.

Example: If the current version is 1.51, then 1.51.1 installs, not the current version 1.60 or whatever is the current version.

This causes the user to have to rinse and repeat several times to end up on the latest, or like many will do, they think it is all updated so they do not continue. I have many customers that never update. I also suggest MBAM Pro should show a toaster pup-up when a new version is available like Avast does. The toaster pup-up can have an update button on it.

Thanks for listening. I hope you consider my improvements.

Mike

I just tested this myself. I installed version 1.46 (a version several versions old) and updated it. It downloaded and installed 1.60.0.1800, it did not update through any of the 1.5x builds. I've never seen it behave the way you describe, however, there is one thing about the process that I do not like (and that we do plan on changing eventually), and that is that it downloads the database first, then the new program version, but unfortunately, the new program version overwrites the new database that was just downloaded with the one that comes with the installer, which is usually itself out of date. This results in the user needing to update their database once more after the new program version has been installed.

I am pretty sure I have seen this many times because I have so many customers using the Pro version.

Maybe it does not have to be repeated for every increment as you tested, but this could be what I experience:

Maybe the "install-reboot-woa-another-update-reboot" can happen if the user never installed the 1st new downloaded version, after some time (maybe several months) another new version is released. So maybe it will "cache" the 1st downloaded version update and offer to install it instead of checking for and downloading the very latest. And then finally after installing the cached update, you have to reboot. Then if you open MBAM again it will download offer the latest.

It just seems to me it should always recheck and download the latest instead of installing the "cached' update from months ago.

I am pretty sure I have seen this many times because I have so many customers using the Pro version.

Maybe it does not have to be repeated for every increment as you tested, but this could be what I experience:

Maybe the "install-reboot-woa-another-update-reboot" can happen if the user never installed the 1st new downloaded version, after some time (maybe several months) another new version is released. So maybe it will "cache" the 1st downloaded version update and offer to install it instead of checking for and downloading the very latest. And then finally after installing the cached update, you have to reboot. Then if you open MBAM again it will download offer the latest.

It just seems to me it should always recheck and download the latest instead of installing the "cached' update from months ago.

Yes, I believe that's what they're experiencing. They never installed the older update when it was first offered, so they end up installing that one first, then after that, the new version. I agree that if such a scenario were to occur, that the updater should overwrite the downloaded installer for the previous upgrade with that of the latest one.

exile360 I just had to do a double update myself. I went to a friends house that was having issues, so I double clicked on their Pro version on the task-bar and was asked to update to the latest version. So I did and then asked to reboot. After the reboot, I was told Malwarebytes was out of date by x number of days, so I told it to update, once again it updated and also downloaded the latest version of Malwarebytes and when through the whole process again.

It would be nice if Malwarebytes did check to see if the file waiting to be installed is actually the latest version if not have it replaced.

• 1 year later...