Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has stopped working

I am experiencing Malwarebytes crashing ever since I upgraded to version 1.60.0.1800. I am running Windows 7 Professional 64Bit SP1. It looks as though the Malwarebytes service crashes during boot up. Then if I manually start Malwarebytes, it will download the latest database update, but then crashes shortly afterwards.

@Yourshadow

See my reply to you in the Malware removal forum here http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=103838

@Jpetel

Tell us what other security apps/suites, anti-virus programs are installed on your system.

If running a software firewall, which one and the version #

Also provide more clear details on "crash" of MBAM. How / what messages to you get, etc ..... Please be specific.

P.S.S. to both of you, see the FAQ in the MBAM General forum http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

Secondly, I am moving this topic to MBAM General issues.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Maurice,

I am running AVG 2011 and only the Windows Firewall. I also use Solutio, which is where I see the Mbam server fail, but it gives me no info. In the Windows Event Viewer, I see this:

Faulting application name: mbam.exe, version: 1.60.0.59, time stamp: 0x4ef23d40

Faulting module name: mbamcore.DLL, version: 1.60.0.52, time stamp: 0x4eea37f7

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00060ae0

Faulting process id: 0x1ec4

Faulting application start time: 0x01cccb531bdda3b6

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamcore.DLL

Report Id: 60b2ea83-3746-11e1-bfb0-9a8b9c10f250

AVG, Malwarebytes and Solutio have all worked together without any problem until today when 1.60.0.1800 was installed.

Have you set trust exclusions?

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138&st=0&p=167851entry167851

Click the link at H - AVG Anti-Virus

Look over that section, and set "trust exclusions" in both AVG and in MBAM

Pay special focus to this section,

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in AVG Free 2011 in Windows Vista and Windows 7

See if that helps. If not, advise if you are running the Trial or not, and if you have a license (PRO)

• Root Admin

Please do the following:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in AVG Free 2011 on Windows XP:

1. Open AVG and close the pop-up ad that shows up on the bottom of the screen then double-click on Resident Shield
  2. Click on Tools at the top and select Advanced settings...
  3. Click on Excluded Items under Resident Shield
  4. Click on the Add Path button on the right
  5. Click on the + next to My Computer in the Browse For Folder window
  6. Click on the + next to your system drive (usually C:)
  7. Click on the + next to Program Files
  8. Click once on the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder so that it is highlighted and click on OK
  9. Click on the Add Path button on the right
  10. Click on the + next to My Computer in the Browse For Folder window
  11. Click on the + next to your system drive (usually C:)
  12. Click on the + next to Documents and Settings
  13. Click on the + next to Application Data
  14. Click once on the Malwarebytes folder so that it is highlighted and click on OK
  15. Click on the Add File button on the right and click on My Computer on the left
  16. Double-click on your system drive (usually C:)
  17. Double-click on Windows
  18. Scroll to the right until you find the System32 folder and double-click on it
  19. Double-click on the drivers folder
  20. Scroll to the right until you find mbam.sys and double-click on it
  21. Click on the Add File button on the right and scroll to the right until you find mbamswissarmy.sys and double-click on it
  22. Click on the Apply button at the bottom of the program window and then click on OK
  23. Close the AVG window

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in AVG Free 2011 in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

1. Open AVG and close the pop-up ad that shows up on the bottom of the screen then double-click on Resident Shield
  2. Click on Tools at the top and select Advanced settings...
  3. Click on Excluded Items under Resident Shield
  4. Click on the Add Path button on the right
  5. Click on the + next to Computer in the Browse For Folder window
  6. Click on the + next to your system drive (usually C:)
  7. Click on the + next to Program Files Note: This should be Program Files (x86) for 64 bit Windows versions.
  8. Click once on the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder so that it is highlighted and click on OK
  9. Click on the Add Path button on the right
  10. Click on the + next to Computer in the Browse For Folder window
  11. Click on the + next to your system drive (usually C:)
  12. Click on the + next to ProgramData
  13. Click once on the Malwarebytes folder so that it is highlighted and click on OK
  14. Click on the Add File button on the right and click on Computer on the left
  15. Double-click on your system drive (usually C:)
  16. Double-click on Windows
  17. Scroll to the right until you find the System32 folder and double-click on it
  18. Double-click on the drivers folder
  19. Scroll to the right until you find mbam.sys and double-click on it
  20. Click on the Add File button on the right and scroll to the right until you find mbamswissarmy.sys and double-click on it Note: This will be C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers for 64 bit Windows versions.
  21. Click on the Apply button at the bottom of the program window and then click on OK
  22. Close the AVG window

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Set Exclusions for AVG Free 2011 in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click on the Add button
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on AVG and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

I have uninstalled AVG and also uninstalled Malwarebytes. I then ran the MBAM Clean utility. I disabled the Windows Firewall and then reinstalled Malwarebytes, which worked. When I went to enter my product ID and Key, I received an error. Protection is disabled, but Malwarebytes does run.

I've attached a screen shot with the error message.

I have a copy of the Windows event log of the error I was receiving before I uninstalled Malwarebytes. If you would like me to attach it, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jay

hey i had the same problem and i read what you all wrote. i just used the "mbam-clean.exe" link that

AdvancedSetup wrote here and than i installed again and it works!

i also have avg 2012 and i thought it is the problem but i guess not. goodluck

• 2 years later...

I was having a hard time with this same problem.  Read and try a lot of suggestions and nothing would work.  When trying to install Java failed Windows gave me a message saying that the installation did not complete because my profile was a temporary one.  I created a new Administrator account and I was able to install Java and Malawarebytes and run it without any problems.

That solved my problem.

Hello and :welcome: , @ramirez6j:

I was having a hard time with this same problem.  <snip>

We are glad that you seem to have resolved your issues with MBAM.

Each computer is unique.
Problems that sound "the same" most often are not.
The same is true for solutions.
They most often need to be individualized, especially since this topic is two and half years old, based on an older, outdated version of MBAM.

It is less confusing for everyone if we try to stick to "one user per topic".

So, if you need further help, please start a NEW, SEPARATE topic using this clickable cjfj.png button.
The staff and experts will be able to more easily provide you with individual help to get you up and running.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,