Malwarebytes Website Blocking unchecked

Malwarebyte's is updated to the newest version.

The problem is when you right click the M icon on the taskbar, "WEBSITE BLOCKING' is unchecked.

I've done the procedure:

(Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.)

But It's still unchecked.

Currently Running Windows 7. Avast Antivirus (put Mbytes on Exception list also).

Please help.

Hello nyjumpmab23,

When you right-click on the MBAM icon in the Taskbar, and the menu comes up, did you left-click on the Website Blocking to enable it?

I've just right-clicked the M icon in my notification area and found Website Blocking unchecked. I then clicked the Protection tab on the main window and everything was checked. I right-clicked the M icon again and tried to check Website Blocking but the check box remained unchecked. I then restarted my pc. Check box now checked but I'm going to keep an eye on it.

When you click on the Web Blocking feature to turn it off and back on, it does not happen immediately, there is a delay when you re-enable it. I have one computer that if I were to disable it and later go back to enable it, it takes about 5 minutes. Not sure its a bug with Malwarebytes though. Sometimes even a restart is required.

Hello Firefox,

No, this is not a bug. The time it takes to load the IP blocker is simply to unload and load MBAM's database. On Windows 7 and Vista this is expected behavior to take a while.

Thank you.

Hello Firefox,

No, this is not a bug. The time it takes to load the IP blocker is simply to unload and load MBAM's database. On Windows 7 and Vista this is expected behavior to take a while.

Thank you.

Thanks for the clarification and confirmation, I was simply stating it so the OP would know, I am aware its not a bug. :)

Hello nyjumpman23,

How many times do you attempt to check the box after it is left unchecked?

Please:

• Right click on the tray icon for MBAM and exit protection module.
  • Start the main scanner and go to the protection tab.
  • Ensure 'Start malicious website blocking when protection module start.' is checked.
  • Check 'Enable protection module.'

Within the system tray verify if the website blocking option is checked.

If it is not. Please check it once. Best practice is to watch Task Manager and look for svchost process using up high CPU. Once it settles down, it's done.

If it is still unchecked after that, please check it once more.

After that,

visit our IP test site:

iptest.malwarebytes.org

HERE to verify that IP blocking is in fact enabled.

Thank you.

Hello nyjumpman23,

How many times do you attempt to check the box after it is left unchecked?

Please:

• Right click on the tray icon for MBAM and exit protection module.
  • Start the main scanner and go to the protection tab.
  • Ensure 'Start malicious website blocking when protection module start.' is checked.
  • Check 'Enable protection module.'

Within the system tray verify if the website blocking option is checked.

If it is not. Please check it once. Best practice is to watch Task Manager and look for svchost process using up high CPU. Once it settles down, it's done.

If it is still unchecked after that, please check it once more.

After that,

visit our IP test site:

iptest.malwarebytes.org

HERE to verify that IP blocking is in fact enabled.

Thank you.

I've done what was stated, but when going to the site listed, it states the IP protection is disabled on my machine.

I've tried everything possible.

I don't know if it's the best bet right now to system restore to an much earlier day, which i really don't want to. It's kind of ridiculous.

Same problem here on a customer PC running 32 bit Vista. The system is running the latest version of Malwarebytes re-downloaded from malwarebytes.org this morining, with 8 days remaining on the trial license. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled/rebooted multiple times and still cant enable the Website Blocking. I even tried revouninstaller as a last resort then reinstalled. I also have Malwarebytes installed on other PCs in the house and can enable and disable website blocking without error. On this Vista 32bit PC, protection is enabled and all check boxes are selected but right clicking the taskbar icon and then left clicking to enable Website Blocking still does not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nyjumpman23,

Please Download OTL to your Desktop:

To Use OTL:

• Get OTL From
HERE
Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
OTL should now start. Change the following settings
Change Drivers to All
Change Standard Registry to All
Under File Scans, change File age to 30
Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt (first run only). These are saved in the same location as OTL.
Please attach these 2 files in your next reply.

Thank you.

Hello Firefox,

Thank you.

Sorry, but this IS in fact a bug. It only started happening recently with the 1.60.0.1800 update. The previous versions never had this problem. I'm VERY familiar with how long the process should take because I'm a power user and I disable and enable the website blocking option many times every day, and it was ALWAYS instant to respond.

Look at the thread - don't you notice that people started complaining about the exact same behaviour all within the last few days? Doesn't that give you a clue that the problem is new? I uninstalled and re-installed. Nothing changed. I uninstalled again, and even went through my registry and manually ripped out anything having to do with Malwarebytes. Then I re-installed again. Nothing changed. I'm still unable to use the website blocking feature. As a result of this, today I was infected with CONSRV through an infected website which never would've happened if the blocking feature was working.

The ironic thing is that I had to clean CONSRV manually by myself from my system and had to edit the registry to restore it to its original state because Malwarebytes doesn't seem to think that CONSRV is a threat. <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Having the same problem, didn't gave it to much thought since uninstalling and reinstalling fixes the problem for me (I'm using XP), but stil drives me crazy that the problem appears back in a couple of days, and have to repeat the process again. I uninstall it with Revo Uninstaller Pro for deleting the registry folders for MBAM and still the problem isn't fixed. Getting a habit now to always right click the icon in the system tray, but i found it silly to do that because of your bad programming.

unreasonableunreasonableunreasonable

nyjumpman23,

Please Download OTL to your Desktop:

To Use OTL:

• Get OTL From HERE
    Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
    OTL should now start. Change the following settings
    Change Drivers to All
    Change Standard Registry to All
    Under File Scans, change File age to 30
    Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
    When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt (first run only). These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    Please attach these 2 files in your next reply.

Thank you.

I found it unreasonable to install a third party program.

Having the same problem, didn't gave it to much thought ... I uninstall it with Revo Uninstaller Pro .... because of your bad programming.

Hello PetreMihai:

I am just a home user, run Win7 (not XP) and have not personally seen this issue.

There are many millions of users of MBAM who do NOT have the problem you describe, and only a few who have reported it here.

So, it's rather unfair to characterize it as "bad programming".

Moreover, if you would like to help to improve the programming, then it would greatly assist the engineers to know more about how/why the problem occurs for a handful of users.

That said, I understand your frustration.

I was just about to suggest running OTL - as requested in an earlier reply by forum admininstrator, Mainard.

Doing so would provide the experts a bit of info to assist them in diagnosing your problem.

However, if you are unwilling or unable to help the MBAM engineers to help you, then I'm not sure how anyone would be able to assist you? :huh:

FWIW Instead of using Revo (unnecessary), have you used the actual MBAM-clean tool to perform your clean reinstall?

If you wish to perform a clean reinstall of MBAM using the removal tool, the steps are listed below.

Otherwise, please wait for further assistance.

Thanks for your patience,

daledoc1

• If you are running MBAM PRO, please be sure you have your license ID and key available (sent via email at the time of online purchase, or in the box).
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from HERE.
  • It will ask to restart your computer; please allow it to do so - this is very important!
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from HERE.
  • If you are using MBAM PRO, you will need to reactivate (register) the program using the license ID & key.
  • Launch the MBAM program and (if you are using MBAM PRO) set the Protection and Registration.
  • Then go to the UPDATE tab (if not done during installation) and check for updates.
  • Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray (if using the PRO version).
  • Now set up any file exclusions, as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications, and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQs HERE, or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

unreasonableunreasonableunreasonable

I found it unreasonable to install a third party program.

Hello PetreMihai,

Please follow the directions for clean re installation of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from daledoc1.

OTL.exe does not require any installation. It is an application that provides diagnostics and can be deleted easily by dragging to the recycle bin (or right click->delete).

These logs are vital to see what is on your system that can be causing conflicts.

Thank you.

Hmmm, still having the problem, in the log file i get this : ERROR IP protection failed: PfBindInterfaceToIPAddress failed with error code 87

Hello, PetreMihai:

Thanks for the update.

Sorry it's still not working.

We'll need to wait for Mainard or another MBAM expert to assist you further with that error code.

In the interim, I'd return once again to the earlier suggestion to run OTL, so that he will have sufficient info to diagnose the problem.

The instructions are in post #14 and the explanation of how it works are in post #19.

If you prefer instead to be assisted privately via email, please send an email to support@malwarebytes.org, or contact the help desk here.

If you select the email support option, please provide a link back to this topic.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

daledoc1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello PetreMihai,

Please follow the directions for clean re installation of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from daledoc1.

OTL.exe does not require any installation. It is an application that provides diagnostics and can be deleted easily by dragging to the recycle bin (or right click->delete).

These logs are vital to see what is on your system that can be causing conflicts.

Thank you.

Nowhere to attached the files here