Malwarebytes freezes 75% of the time and pc locks up

6 posts in this topic

Hello. I use Kaspersky and I run Windows XP, 3rd edition (home edition - 32 bits).

Everytime I run malwarebytes (or more like 75% of the time), my computer freezes and and locks up. At best, I can run the quick scan (it doesn't freeze then), but a full scan locks up my pc 75% of the time or so. Sometimes I can scan from between 32,000 files till maybe 120,000 files (or even more). It varies a lot. Everytime I can fully scan, however, it does not find any threats.

Furthermore, I have scanned my pc with kaspersky, and even tried to download the fake virus eicar to see if my antivirus was working properly. It prevented the eicar download, so I know my antivirus is working.

I checked the forums for solutions, but I'm not sure if any of them apply to my problem.

These are the two best solutions I believe may work:

-Adding the program to my antivirus list (but I don not know how that works or understand how to do that.)

-I am thinking of checking off "Enable advanced heuristics engine (Heuristics. Shuriken)".

Malwarebytes ---> Settings ---> Scanner Settings ---> Enable advanced heuristics engine (Heuristics. Shuriken)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please run the following scanner and send back the logs.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop


Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or to run the tool, on Vista or Win 7 right click and select Run as administrator

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

    When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

    1. DDS.txt
    2. Attach.txt

  • Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Difficult to say for sure. You have a mix of security software there that might play a part in the issue, you also appear to have a lot of items disabled according to the logs.

You have what appears to be a driver from Commodo yet add/remove does not seem to show it. You have what looks to possibly be 2 versions of Spybot - Search & Destroy both which are also older versions.

I doubt you're infected but running some other scanners and doing a full disk check wouldn't hurt. You'd need to either try and have someone help you scan for malware in the HJT forum or submit request to the help desk and let them know that I asked you to so that we can do some other checks.

Have you run run a full disk check yet?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I had Comodo, but it caused problems... or so I thought! I believe that in fact it might have been a trial vpn which had me install a driver (untested). I then disabled the vpn driver (and maybe I did a system restore - I cannot remember). Yes, I have done a full disk check (then followed by a defrag).

Concerning Spybot, yes I had used the spybot application that I had from before. So I will uninstall and install the newer version then.

Currently, I have the following applications running in the background:

My antivirus

S&D - Resident (a.ka. teatime) (you reminded me of that just now! Thanks)


I will definitely keep my antivirus running and threatfire. I will not disable either. BUT, I can disable the teatimer I believe :D until the scan is finished. I propose that I could do this and see if THIS is the culprit (which is possible, since it may in fact be in conflict with Malwarebytes).

I will attempt these steps and see if anything changes. If not, them I will do as you have suggested :D

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I have scanned once... it worked. Scanned a second time... it froze.

Finally, I decided to scan my pc with ad-aware (which I installed two days later), because I knew something was wrong. It found 2 trojans! One of them came back, but I then quarantined AND deleted them, and unchecked the "system restore" box (the one that deletes every single system restore point). I then rebooted and rescanned the system volume information folder, and came up with nothing. Yay! But now (well tomorrow) I have to RESCAN the pc with ad-aware. It takes 3 hours and a half... so it will be painful lol. Should it find nothing (which I hope this is the outcome), I will create a new system restore point - one with no viruses attached, yay! But for now, I am merely hopeful. Anyhow, should this be successful, I will once more scan my pc with malwarebytes. Should after 3 attempts (as long as the first two do not fail), the third one freezes, I will definitely post in the malware removal section, in case I might have another virus.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.