Can't use or uninstall Malwarebytes Pro

Though I do not often run my old WinXP Pro SP3 computer these days, today I wanted to do so. I have MBAM Pro installed on it. I was told that Malwarebytes had a new version and I installed it, or thought I did. I was then told that the definitions were out of date, and I went to try to update them. At this point, my computer froze. I could do nothing except force a shutdown. After several similar attempts, I used System Restore to go back to what I thought was before I had tried to update MBAM. That seemed to work well. My computer was no longer frozen, but when I clicked on the MBAM icon on my desktop, I got an error message "Runtime error '5': Invalid procedure call or argument." I decided I should uninstall MBAM and install the most recent version. However, both Add/Remove Programs and Revo Uninstaller listed only version 1.51.2.1300, whereas when I hovered over the non-functioning MBAM icon in my system tray, it said the version was 1.60.0.1800. Perhaps not surprisingly, I could not uninstall MBAM. I got the error message "Runtime Error (at -1:0): Cannot import dll:C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll." Apparently somehow things got screwed up today in the updating process.

(I've read the pinned info about problems with freezing related to specific AV programs. I'm not using any of those programs. I'm using McAfee Enterprise AV, but my university is no longer supporting that and I'm planning to replace it, probably with Microsoft Security Essentials. It doesn't seem as if the problem I'm having is related to my AV.)

What is the best way to deal with this? I'd like to remove MBAM, use mbam-clean, and then install the most recent version, but I'm at a loss for how to do this, since neither Add/Remove Programs nor Revo Uninstaller can uninstall it. I'd be most grateful for some help. Thanks in advance.

• Root Admin

Please try temporarily disabling your McAfee AV and reboot. Then try disabling your McAfee AV again and then see if you can run the Malwarebytes uninstaller either from the start menu or in the Control Panel, Add/Remove and then reboot again.

Download the latest version and see if it will install while your McAfee AV is disabled.

Let us know how it goes please.

Thanks very much for your message. I followed your instructions, disabling the AV, rebooting, disabling the AV again, and trying to uninstall using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. But I got the same error message when I tried to uninstall this time that I got before: "Runtime Error (at -1:0): Cannot import dll:C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll." I tried both Add/Remove Programs and Revo, but since Revo uses the program's uninstaller, I'm not surprised that it didn't work there, either. Same error message. I was tempted to try Revo's "Forced Uninstall" feature. I have used it only once, and that was a while ago on a program that had been partly uninstalled. Here's the description from the Revo User's Manual:

Revo Uninstaller Pro has a very powerful feature called Forced Uninstall. This feature

allows you to remove leftovers of programs that are already uninstalled, incomplete

installations and uninstalls of programs! It does not matter if the program, you want to

remove, is not listed in Revo Uninstaller Pro or in Windows Add/Remove Programs Control

Panel applet. Forced Uninstall gives the power to the user but still keeps the safety and the

accuracy of the results.

I thought I should check back with you before trying this. There may be something you would prefer that I do. Anyway, thanks very much for your help. Please let me know what you think I should do next.

Until AdvancedSetup returns, if you want to uninstall Malwarebytes and then reinstall it, just follow the instructions below, NOTE: all steps with your AV disabled.

Please do the following:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

• Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

You are quite welcome, I appreciate the follow-up to let me know everything is working well for you.

If you have any other questions or issues arise in the future please do not hesitate to create a new topic describing your issue in detail. A friendly forum helper will be glad to assist you.

Thank you very much! :)