millie

Hi

Hope someone can help

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with a Matshita BD-RE UJ-220 dvd drive

When I try to write a dvd I get power calibration error and burn process failed

I can play dvds and cds but cannot write anything

It does not seem to make any difference which software I use

Many Thanks

I'm sure you've done a google search on this issue which suggests that you're not the only one with this problem.

1, Has it ever worked to write DVD's

2, What operating system are you currently using and have you upgraded/changed that system ( eg from XP to Win 7).

I suspect you may require a firmware update which is not available from Dell (the Panasonic drive you are using isn't listed by Dell as being supplied with this laptop - not uncommon). Sony does provide a firmware update for the drive but unfortunately it will not be appropriate for you.

Hi Millie, since you have a Dell, one of the best things you can do is go to dells web site and download the Newest Drivers for your Dell PC.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/

It will prompt you for your Express Service tag. Enter your Tag Number and the site will take you to an Area that has all the Drivers for your PC

They Have all the instruction there for Updating your Drivers. I'd be happy to help you with this if you want help. I deal with Dell All the time and they make it easy,

Drivers are probably not the issue. CD/DVD drives are inherited based upon what they are connected to. That could be internal PATA, SATA, SCSI and USB. In all the cases if the drive is seen by the OS then there is no driver issue.

Bornslippy's suggestion in a drive firmware update is more apropos. Often the firmware is updated to fix errors and media incompatibilities and/or other issues.

Contacting Dell support may be a good avenue but only if the computer is still in warranty.