Objects DETECTED?

I just ran MBAM and it asked me to update, so I did.

However something odd happened that I don't quite understand, I'm guessing the update did it but I just need to make sure.

Malwarebytes now says "Objects scanned | Objects detected". It used to say "Objects scanned | Objects infected". Also, when downloading the database MBAM said, instead of "Updated from (some string of numbers) to (another string of numbers)", it had a date in the database number.

Is this normal, or has MBAM been hijacked?

Hello and :welcome:

You must have had an older version of Malwarebytes installed. Not sure what version you had, but yes there has been some changes and one of the biggest changes is the numbering of the database version, incremental updates, and the scheduler has also been changed.

It has to do with semantics.

If a file is infected it suggests that malicious code has been prepended, appended or inserted within a legitimate file. This happens with file infecting viruses and trojans that "patch" or trojanize legitimate files.

A trojan that comes as a file itself is not infected. The Registry that has a malicious entry is not infected. Thus the better terminology is "Objects detected" as it better describes the concept.