Malware? Trojan? Maybe Spyware? Dunno...

Hello, I hope this is the right forum to post this issue. I'll do my best to try to explain the problem.

PC (Windows XP Pro) was running fine up until this past weekend. Not sure if it's related or not, but at one point, I was prompted to install Windows updates in my system tray (not unusual). Within the last day or so, it started running slower and freezing.

At one point, after rebooting, the desktop changed. Screen resolution doesn't appear as crisp and sharp; icons seem to be larger; the Start bar trails off the screen on the right side so I can only see about half of the clock; when windows are open, they seem to be shifted (i.e. small black bar on the left side and the right side of the window is off screen.) In order to "X" out of a window, I have to minimize and move the window to the left so I can see the "X" button.

Ran things like Spybot, AdAware, Malwarebytes and Advanced System Care. Each program found some issues that were corrected or fixed, but the situation hasn't changed.

Running AVG Anti Virus Free 2012. Performing scan now. Not very hopeful it will correct the problem.

Hopefully someone can help me with this issue or at least point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

post-32477-1261866970.gif

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

Please don't attach the scans / logs for these tools, use "copy/paste".

You could try System Restore.

Click Start.

Point to All Programs.

Point to Accessories.

Point to System Tools.

Click System Restore.

Follow the instructions on the wizard.

See if you can find a date the the PC worked.

*facepalm*

D'OH!

Should've thought to try that, obv. Took a few different dates, but I found one from a week ago or so that worked.

Only problem is that a few minutes after reboot, I got the blue screen of death. I rebooted again and here I am.

Should I try a sooner date? Blue screen of death a different issue?

Thanks for the help.

Seems to be.

As mentioned, went to the Microsoft website for updates, but there weren't any.

Was going to run a few spyware scans like Spybot and Advanced System Care to see if anything comes up.

Unless there's anything else you might recommend to help ensure that I'm running optimally, I think we're good.

Thanks again!

Seems to be behaving OK. The only other issue I have is the Windows XP issue (I think) I've had for quite some time that I posted about in the "PC Help" forum. Sorry for the confusion caused by posting about two separate problems simultaneously.

Here are the scan results:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.61.0.1400

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.05.25.01

Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

Al :: OFFICE-PC [administrator]

5/24/2012 9:40:00 PM

mbam-log-2012-05-24 (21-40-00).txt

Scan type: Full scan

Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM

Scan options disabled: P2P

Objects scanned: 442504

Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 44 minute(s), 24 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!