My computer hates me....

Windows 7

Firefox

My computer got really really slow. I tried to go to Task Manager, but it would display for a second and then disappear. I did not have admin access to do some things. Prior to running the MSERT (see below), I got a blue screen memory dump error.

Ended up downloading and running the following:

• Search and Destroy (it gave me a series of errors, but it did do the scan)
  • Hijackthis
  • Avast Free
  • Malwarebytes
  • TSSSkiller
  • RSIT (log attached)
  • MSERT (miscrosoft's tool)
  • CCcleaner

MSERT said it found a Java exploit and removed it.

Log files attached (event from RSIT).

Computer still seems slows.

Also strange that my ZoneAlarm is warning me about everything now (i.e. I am installing Pinnacle Studio video editing software and I get "setup launcher unicode trying to launch c:\windows\sysWOW64\msiexec.exe or use another program to access priviledged resources"); it did not used to give me so many warnings. I did not make any changes to zonealarm.

Note on Hijackthis.... I get an error that the Host File Directs. Also, there is the O18 Filter Hack.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve

RSIT-info.txt

RSIT-log.txt

Attach.zip

hijackthis.log

DDS.txt

Hello Steve and :welcome:! My name is Maniac and I will be glad to help you solve your malware problem.

Please note:

• If you are a paying customer, you have the privilege to contact the help desk at Consumer Support. If you choose this option to get help, please let me know.
  • I recommend you to keep the instructions I will be giving you so that they are available to you at any time. You can save them in a text file or print them.
  • Make sure you read all of the instructions and fixes thoroughly before continuing with them.
  • Follow my instructions strictly and don’t hesitate to stop and ask me if you have any questions.
  • Post your log files, don't attach them. Every log file should be copy/pasted in your next reply.

Step 1

Anti-Virus programs take up an enormous amount of your computer's resources when they are actively scanning your computer. Having two anti-virus programs running at the same time can cause your computer to run very slow, become unstable and even, in rare cases, crash. My suggestion is to uninstall ZoneAlarm Antivirus, ZoneAlarm Firewall, ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite and ZoneAlarm Security and to keep avast! Free Antivirus. Next, restart your computer.

Step 2

You have some old remnants from AVG. Let's try to clean them:

Please download AppRemover and save it on your desktop. Start the application and click Next and then select Clean Up a Failed Uninstall. Wait until AppRemover finishes scanning the computer and determines which security applications have elements installed. For some applications, AppRemover requires that you restart your computer to finish the uninstallation. If prompted, restart your computer before exiting AppRemover.

When you are ready, please generate a new fresh DDS log file with Attach.txt, but please post them directly in your reply.

Maniac.

I installed avast today to try to help me with this particular situation. I have been running zone alarm for its firewall only (no antivirus protection) and actively running AVG for its antivirus. So, just one antivirus program was running before this issue. Is avast better than AVG for antivirus protection? If I uninstall zonealarm firewall, what do I protect myself with regarding programs trying to conact the internet/bad people trying to get to me via the internet?

Thanks

Steve

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!