".EXE. files won't open in windows XP

DougH

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which "update manager" are you referring to ?

(With much thanks to Tetonbob at TSF, whose methods & verbiage I'm using here).

Download This tool save it directly to your desktop - not a folder on the desktop - the commands are tailored for the desktop location.

Click Start>Run and

Copy then Paste ALL the following bolded text into the Run box and click OK:

"%userprofile%\desktop\Inherit.exe" "c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

When successfully completed with this, then Logoff and Restart the system fresh !

Step 2

Using Internet Explorer browser (only!) go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

[ignore any DOES NOT APPLY warning as well as the APPLIES TO section],

run the Fix It and then reboot.

Tip: For optimal results, enable the Delete personal settings option.

Step 3

Save and close any work documents, close any apps that you started.

Temporarily turn off (disable) your antivirus program

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Start your MBAM MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware.

Click the Settings Tab and then the General Settings sub-tab. Make sure all option lines have a checkmark.

Then click the Scanner settings sub-tab in second row of tabs. Make sure all option lines have a checkmark.

Next, Click the Update tab. Press the "Check for Updates" button.

If prompted for a Restart, do that.

When done, click the Scanner tab.

Do a Full Scan. i_arrow-l.gif

When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.

The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

When all done, Copy & paste the MBAM scan log into a new reply.

Tell me, How is the system ?

Re-enable your antivirus program.

The update manager that I assume came with the computer, or so I think. it is a pop up balloon task bar icon that shows up from time to time. I tried to let it run after reading on here about things needing to update or there will be opportunity for malware and viruses to get in so I let it run which I stopped doing a long time ago because it wouldn't finish.

Ok I have it on the dessktop, and yes i have put everything including the quotations and then I tried it without the quotations.

You must include ALL including the double quotes !!!

The update manager that I assume came with the computer, or so I think. it is a pop up balloon task bar icon that shows up from time to time. I tried to let it run after reading on here about things needing to update or there will be opportunity for malware and viruses to get in so I let it run which I stopped doing a long time ago because it wouldn't finish.

You mean Windows Updates ??

1st of all having an Antivirus program is a must, as is keep it up-to-date, plus practicing safe computer use.

As well, regular scans with MBAM are highly helpful.

Download >> Farbar's Service Scanner utility << and Save to your Desktop.

If using Windows 7 or Vista, Right-Click on fss.exe and select Run As Admisnitrator.

If using XP, double-click to start.

Answer Yes to ok when prompted.

If your firewall then puts out a prompt, again, allow it to run.

Once FSS is on-screen:

Keep the checkmark on Internet Services.

Checkmark Windows firewall

Checkmark Security Center.

Click on "Scan".

It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.

Copy & Paste FSS.txt with your reply.

It seems all these items you tell me to download need to go to the desktop, but I don't seem to get that option. I do have some on the desk to though. Sorry I'm not that computer savvy The up date manager I was referring to is HP update manager I believe. I do have windows updates, and i am able to get those and download them regularly. I think that is reflected in the logs we have saved.

Farbar Service Scanner Version: 10-12-2012

Ran by Curtis Lumpkin (administrator) on 18-12-2012 at 11:48:44

Running from "C:\Documents and Settings\Curtis Lumpkin\My Documents\Downloads"

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (X86)

Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:

============

Connection Status:

==============

Localhost is accessible.

LAN connected.

Google IP is accessible.

Google.com is accessible.

Yahoo IP is accessible.

Yahoo.com is accessible.

Windows Firewall:

=============

Firewall Disabled Policy:

==================

Security Center:

============

File Check:

========

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhcpcsvc.dll => MD5 is legit

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\afd.sys => MD5 is legit

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\netbt.sys => MD5 is legit

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\tcpip.sys => MD5 is legit

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\ipsec.sys => MD5 is legit

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dnsrslvr.dll => MD5 is legit

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ipnathlp.dll => MD5 is legit

C:\WINDOWS\system32\netman.dll => MD5 is legit

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => MD5 is legit

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscsvc.dll => MD5 is legit

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => MD5 is legit

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe => MD5 is legit

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcss.dll => MD5 is legit

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe => MD5 is legit

Extra List:

=======

Gpc(6) IPSec(4) NetBT(5) PSched(7) Tcpip(3)

0x0700000004000000010000000200000003000000050000000600000007000000

IpSec Tag value is correct.

**** End of log ****

What browser do you have set as default? Which browser do you typically use? Why don't you have the option on where to save? Maybe you responded with some click in the past for it to NOT ask you in future.

This FSS report is good.

For the HP updates you must seek help on the HP support forums. I cannot help you on that, plus that is not malware related.

HOW is your system now ? Is your original problem old-history? (gone?)

Chrome is what I have set as default, and that is what I use almost exclusively. Sometimes firefox. yes I am able to download EXE files now. I do still have that DLL:start thing that keeps popping up though. I don't know where it is at, and don't know how to make it stop.

I haven't been on the internet since you asked me not to, I will go play MW now and see.

It seems to be working about like it has been, so it's OK. if we can get that DLL:start thing to go away I say we call it a success. You think maybe I should try a reload of IE? maybe then the HP update manager can do what it wants to do and if not then i can hit the HP website and see if i can solve that issue there.

<LOL> <OMG> That is a prompt for the DDS report utility. Click on Start and let it run !!!

It will produce 2 reports on your DESKTOP (where the DDS should have been saved....when I 1st asked you).

Copy and Paste all the contents of DDS.txt also Attach.txt

In Addition to the steps just above this....

Your Firefox browser is out of date ! Start Firefox. From it's menu, select Help >> About Firefox and then click on Check for Updates.

Allow it to Apply the update and allow it to restart Firefox.

also, do these:

To Reset Firefox to its default state:

Start Firefox

in the address bar, type in

about:support

Click on the Reset Firefox button at top right of screen.

Also see http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-preferences-fix-problems?s=reset+search+options&r=2&as=s

Still in Firefox, on main menu, choose Tools >>> Options

click the General tab

Under the Downloads block

IF the SAVE files to is selected, then Click on (to select) Always ask me where to save files

Then press OK button

Check for junk apps

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your Desktop.

• Please close your security software to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or 7, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select Run as administrator.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete, depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your Desktop and will automatically open.
  • Please post the contents of JRT.txt into your reply. And tell me, How is the system now?
  • Re-enable your security software.

Check for ad-ware

Please download AdwCleaner © Xplode from >>here<< and save it on your Desktop.

If your are running Windows XP, double click adwcleaner.exe to start it.

Otherwise, Right-click on adwcleaner.exe and select Run As Administrator to launch the application.

Now click on the Search tab.

Please post the contents of the log-file created in your next post.

Note: The log can also be located at C:\AdwCleaner[XX].txt where XX Denotes the number of times the application has been ran, so in this should be something like R1.

check for viruses & other crud

Download Dr.Web CureIt to the desktop.

• Turn OFF your antivirus program.
    How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs
  • Doubleclick the drweb-cureit.exe file, then on Start and allow to run the express scan
  • This will scan the files currently running in memory and when something is found, click the yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it. This is only a short scan.
  • Once the short scan has finished, chose the Complete Scan.
  • Select all drives. A red dot shows which drives have been chosen.
  • Click the green arrow drweb.jpg at the right, and the scan will start.
  • Click 'Yes to all' if it asks if you want to cure/move the file.
  • When the scan has finished, look and see if you can click the following icon next to the files found:
    check.gif
  • If so, click it and then click the next icon right below and select Move incurable as you'll see in next image:
    move.gif
  • This will move it to the %userprofile%\DoctorWeb\quarantaine-folder if it can't be cured. (this in case if we need samples)
  • After selecting, in the Dr.Web CureIt menu on top, click file and choose save report list
  • Save the report to your desktop. The report will be called DrWeb.csv
  • Close Dr.Web Cureit.
  • Reboot your computer to allow files that were in use to be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web you saved previously in your next reply.

NOTE: During the scan, a pop-up window will open asking for full version purchase. Simply close the window by clicking on X in upper right corner.

Re-Enable your antivirus program when all done.

I had posted these reports back early in the thread and THEY did make it to the desktop, Never the less, Here they are again. I may have downloaded that twice trying to get a "program" for lack of a better word to the desk top.

DDS (Ver_2012-11-20.01) - NTFS_x86

Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702 BrowserJavaVersion: 10.9.2

Run by at 14:44:06 on 2012-12-19

============== Running Processes ================

c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\MsMpEng.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\jqs.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVCOMSER\LVComSer.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVCOMSER\LVComSer.exe

C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe

C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe

C:\Program Files\PowerISO\PWRISOVM.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe

C:\Program Files\hpq\HP Wireless Assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe

C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LComMgr\Communications_Helper.exe

C:\Program Files\Logitech\QuickCam\Quickcam.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe

C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LogitechDesktopMessenger.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\LQCVFX\COCIManager.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\HPQ\Shared\HPQTOA~1.EXE

C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqimzone.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msfeedssync.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Curtis Lumpkin\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spider.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Curtis Lumpkin\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\SoftwareUpdate.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k DcomLaunch

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k rpcss

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k WudfServiceGroup

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k NetworkService

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalService

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalService

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

============== Pseudo HJT Report ===============

uStart Page = hxxp://www.facebook.com/?ref=hp

uSearchMigratedDefaultURL = hxxp://www.google.com/search?q={searchTerms}&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8

uInternet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = hxxp://register.hp.com/servlet/WebReg.servlets.ProdReg1Servlet?appID=java_wreg_wreg_genpg&PURCH_DT_MONTH=05&PURCH_DT_DAY=09&PURCH_DT_YEAR=2006&product_name=&PROD_SERIAL_ID=&gwCountry=US&language=EN&prodOS=

uProxyOverride = localhost

BHO: Lexmark Toolbar: {1017A80C-6F09-4548-A84D-EDD6AC9525F0} - c:\program files\lexmark toolbar\toolband.dll

BHO: Java Plug-In SSV Helper: {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - c:\program files\java\jre7\bin\ssv.dll

BHO: Skype Browser Helper: {AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497} - c:\program files\skype\toolbars\internet explorer\skypeieplugin.dll

BHO: Java Plug-In 2 SSV Helper: {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - c:\program files\java\jre7\bin\jp2ssv.dll

TB: Lexmark Toolbar: {1017A80C-6F09-4548-A84D-EDD6AC9525F0} - c:\program files\lexmark toolbar\toolband.dll

TB: Lexmark Toolbar: {1017A80C-6F09-4548-A84D-EDD6AC9525F0} - c:\program files\lexmark toolbar\toolband.dll

uRun: [ctfmon.exe] c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe

mRun: [synTPEnh] c:\program files\synaptics\syntp\SynTPEnh.exe

mRun: [sprint SmartView] "c:\program files\sprint\sprint smartview\SprintSV.exe" -a

mRun: [Reminder] c:\windows\creator\Remind_XP.exe

mRun: [RecGuard] c:\windows\sminst\RecGuard.exe

mRun: [QPService] "c:\program files\hp\quickplay\QPService.exe"

mRun: [PWRISOVM.EXE] c:\program files\poweriso\PWRISOVM.EXE

mRun: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe

mRun: [iSUSScheduler] "c:\program files\common files\installshield\updateservice\issch.exe" -start

mRun: [iSUSPM Startup] "c:\program files\common files\installshield\updateservice\isuspm.exe" -startup

mRun: [igfxtray] c:\windows\system32\igfxtray.exe

mRun: [igfxpers] c:\windows\system32\igfxpers.exe

mRun: [igfxhkcmd] c:\windows\system32\hkcmd.exe

mRun: [hpWirelessAssistant] c:\program files\hpq\hp wireless assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe

mRun: [HP Software Update] c:\program files\hp\hp software update\HPWuSchd2.exe

mRun: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] CHDAudPropShortcut.exe

mRun: [Cpqset] c:\program files\hpq\default settings\cpqset.exe

mRun: [AppleSyncNotifier] c:\program files\common files\apple\mobile device support\AppleSyncNotifier.exe

mRun: [LogitechCommunicationsManager] "c:\program files\common files\logishrd\lcommgr\Communications_Helper.exe"

mRun: [LogitechQuickCamRibbon] "c:\program files\logitech\quickcam\Quickcam.exe" /hide

mRun: [APSDaemon] "c:\program files\common files\apple\apple application support\APSDaemon.exe"

mRun: [QuickTime Task] "c:\program files\quicktime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

mRun: [sunJavaUpdateSched] "c:\program files\common files\java\java update\jusched.exe"

mRun: [MSC] "c:\program files\microsoft security client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey

dRun: [DWQueuedReporting] "c:\progra~1\common~1\micros~1\dw\dwtrig20.exe" -t

uPolicies-Explorer: NoDriveTypeAutoRun = dword:323

uPolicies-Explorer: NoDriveAutoRun = dword:67108863

uPolicies-Explorer: NoDrives = dword:0

mPolicies-Explorer: NoDriveAutoRun = dword:67108863

mPolicies-Explorer: NoDriveTypeAutoRun = dword:323

mPolicies-Explorer: NoDrives = dword:0

mPolicies-Windows\System: Allow-LogonScript-NetbiosDisabled = dword:1

mPolicies-Explorer: NoDriveTypeAutoRun = dword:323

mPolicies-Explorer: NoDriveAutoRun = dword:67108863

IE: {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - c:\program files\skype\toolbars\internet explorer\skypeieplugin.dll

IE: {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

IE: {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe

DPF: {8100D56A-5661-482C-BEE8-AFECE305D968} - hxxp://upload.facebook.com/controls/2009.07.28_v5.5.8.1/FacebookPhotoUploader55.cab

DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} - hxxp://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

TCP: NameServer = 192.168.1.254

TCP: Interfaces\{9A6A80FD-0F58-4843-B72C-9977A81D7CA8} : DHCPNameServer = 192.168.1.254

Handler: bwfile-8876480 - {9462A756-7B47-47BC-8C80-C34B9B80B32B} - c:\program files\logitech\desktop messenger\8876480\program\GAPlugProtocol-8876480.dll

Handler: skype-ie-addon-data - {91774881-D725-4E58-B298-07617B9B86A8} - c:\program files\skype\toolbars\internet explorer\skypeieplugin.dll

Handler: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - c:\program files\common files\skype\Skype4COM.dll

Notify: igfxcui - igfxdev.dll

SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - c:\windows\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll

SEH: Microsoft AntiMalware ShellExecuteHook - {091EB208-39DD-417D-A5DD-7E2C2D8FB9CB} - c:\program files\windows defender\MpShHook.dll

================= FIREFOX ===================

FF - ProfilePath -

============= SERVICES / DRIVERS ===============

R? Application Updater;Application Updater

R? SkypeUpdate;Skype Updater

R? WinDefend;Windows Defender

S? MpFilter;Microsoft Malware Protection Driver

=============== Created Last 30 ================

2012-12-19 14:41:10 6812136 ----a-w- c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\microsoft\microsoft antimalware\definition updates\{c1978e95-89f5-49c5-92ba-4e9d138298a0}\mpengine.dll

2012-12-17 20:34:04 6812136 ------w- c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\microsoft\microsoft antimalware\definition updates\backup\mpengine.dll

2012-12-16 19:20:15 -------- d-sh--w- \RECYCLER

2012-12-15 20:19:58 -------- d-sha-r- C:\cmdcons

2012-12-15 20:19:58 -------- d-sha-r- \cmdcons

2012-12-15 20:17:14 98816 ----a-w- c:\windows\sed.exe

2012-12-15 20:17:14 256000 ----a-w- c:\windows\PEV.exe

2012-12-15 20:17:14 208896 ----a-w- c:\windows\MBR.exe

2012-12-15 20:16:36 -------- d---a-w- \Qoobox

2012-12-15 04:30:23 -------- d-----w- c:\program files\Microsoft CAPICOM 2.1.0.2

2012-12-15 00:46:57 275696 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\mucltui.dll

2012-12-15 00:46:57 214256 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\muweb.dll

2012-12-15 00:46:57 17136 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\mucltui.dll.mui

2012-12-14 21:31:41 -------- d-----w- c:\program files\Microsoft Security Client

2012-12-14 08:14:19 6812136 ----a-w- c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\microsoft\windows defender\definition updates\{2fa7de67-2618-491a-b20f-546e12f5dd78}\mpengine.dll

2012-12-13 23:26:29 -------- d-----w- c:\program files\trend micro

2012-12-13 23:26:22 -------- d-----w- \rsit

2012-12-13 21:11:24 143872 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\javacpl.cpl

2012-12-13 21:11:22 821736 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\npDeployJava1.dll

2012-12-13 21:11:10 93672 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\WindowsAccessBridge.dll

2012-12-13 02:43:08 -------- d-----w- c:\program files\NT Registry Optimizer

==================== Find3M ====================

2012-12-13 21:10:49 746984 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\deployJava1.dll

2012-11-13 01:25:12 1866368 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\win32k.sys

2012-11-06 00:41:17 290560 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\atmfd.dll

2012-11-02 02:02:42 375296 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\dpnet.dll

2012-11-01 12:17:54 916992 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll

2012-11-01 12:17:54 43520 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\licmgr10.dll

2012-11-01 12:17:54 1469440 ------w- c:\windows\system32\inetcpl.cpl

2012-11-01 00:35:34 385024 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\html.iec

2012-10-02 18:04:21 58368 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\synceng.dll

2012-09-30 01:54:26 22856 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

=================== ROOTKIT ====================

Stealth MBR rootkit/Mebroot/Sinowal/TDL4 detector 0.4.2 by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net

Windows 5.1.2600

CreateFile("\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0"): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

device: opened successfully

user: error reading MBR

Disk trace:

called modules: ntkrnlpa.exe CLASSPNP.SYS disk.sys ACPI.sys hal.dll iaStor.sys

c:\windows\system32\drivers\iaStor.sys Intel Corporation Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver

1 ntkrnlpa!IofCallDriver[0x804EE180] -> \Device\Harddisk0\DR0[0x8235D9C0]

3 CLASSPNP[0xF84D5FD7] -> ntkrnlpa!IofCallDriver[0x804EE180] -> \Device\00000085[0x823D1280]

5 ACPI[0xF834C620] -> ntkrnlpa!IofCallDriver[0x804EE180] -> \Device\Ide\IAAStorageDevice-0[0x82390030]

kernel: MBR read successfully

_asm { XOR DI, DI; MOV SI, 0x200; MOV SS, DI; MOV SP, 0x7a00; MOV BX, 0x7a0; MOV CX, SI; MOV DS, BX; MOV ES, BX; REP MOVSB ; JMP FAR 0x7a0:0x7a; }

user != kernel MBR !!!

============= FINISH: 14:46:10.35 ===============

UNLESS SPECIFICALLY INSTRUCTED, DO NOT POST THIS LOG.

IF REQUESTED, ZIP IT UP & ATTACH IT

DDS (Ver_2012-11-20.01)

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Install Date: 7/21/2006 12:01:32 AM

System Uptime: 12/18/2012 8:23:47 AM (30 hours ago)

Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard | | 30A8

Processor: Intel® Celeron® M CPU 410 @ 1.46GHz | U1 | 1463/mhz

==== Disk Partitions =========================

C: is FIXED (NTFS) - 29 GiB total, 2.608 GiB free.

D: is FIXED (FAT32) - 8 GiB total, 1.123 GiB free.

E: is CDROM ()

F: is CDROM ()

G: is CDROM ()

H: is CDROM ()

==== Disabled Device Manager Items =============

==== System Restore Points ===================

RP1145: 11/2/2012 2:01:26 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1146: 11/3/2012 2:42:02 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1147: 11/4/2012 2:38:29 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1148: 11/5/2012 3:21:03 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1149: 11/6/2012 1:50:19 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1150: 11/7/2012 3:12:36 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1151: 11/8/2012 4:12:02 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1152: 11/9/2012 1:48:31 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1153: 11/10/2012 6:08:41 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1154: 11/11/2012 6:56:07 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1155: 11/12/2012 7:37:38 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1156: 11/13/2012 1:50:06 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1157: 11/14/2012 3:01:25 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1158: 11/14/2012 11:33:37 PM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1159: 11/15/2012 5:23:41 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1160: 11/16/2012 2:15:59 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1161: 11/17/2012 11:02:30 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1162: 11/18/2012 11:54:22 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1163: 11/19/2012 12:39:18 PM - System Checkpoint

RP1164: 11/20/2012 11:45:09 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1165: 11/21/2012 4:04:57 PM - System Checkpoint

RP1166: 11/22/2012 5:44:21 PM - System Checkpoint

RP1167: 11/23/2012 6:42:36 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1168: 11/24/2012 9:44:02 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1169: 11/25/2012 11:00:35 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1170: 11/26/2012 1:32:18 PM - System Checkpoint

RP1171: 11/27/2012 2:15:32 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1172: 11/28/2012 3:03:56 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1173: 11/29/2012 10:29:21 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1174: 11/30/2012 1:49:36 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1175: 12/1/2012 3:30:03 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1176: 12/2/2012 4:05:46 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1177: 12/3/2012 4:15:36 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1178: 12/4/2012 10:01:08 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1179: 12/4/2012 12:29:09 PM - Installed QuickTime

RP1180: 12/6/2012 1:39:37 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1181: 12/7/2012 1:48:37 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1182: 12/8/2012 2:03:03 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1183: 12/9/2012 2:51:46 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1184: 12/10/2012 4:53:36 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1185: 12/11/2012 1:48:51 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1186: 12/12/2012 4:19:30 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1187: 12/12/2012 6:07:58 PM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1188: 12/13/2012 3:10:40 PM - Installed Java 7 Update 9

RP1189: 12/14/2012 2:13:29 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1190: 12/14/2012 3:48:46 PM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1191: 12/14/2012 10:23:45 PM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1192: 12/15/2012 3:39:38 PM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1193: 12/16/2012 1:53:10 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1194: 12/17/2012 4:48:38 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1195: 12/17/2012 2:33:37 PM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1196: 12/18/2012 2:47:41 PM - System Checkpoint

RP1197: 12/19/2012 8:40:59 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

==== Installed Programs ======================

ALLDATA for Windows

Apple Application Support

Apple Software Update

BufferChm

CCleaner

Click to Call with Skype

Conexant HD Audio

CP_AtenaShokunin1Config

CP_CalendarTemplates1

cp_LightScribeConfig

cp_OnlineProjectsConfig

CP_Package_Basic1

CP_Package_Variety1

CP_Package_Variety2

CP_Package_Variety3

CP_Panorama1Config

cp_PosterPrintConfig

cp_UpdateProjectsConfig

CueTour

Customer Experience Enhancement

Destinations

DeviceManagementQFolder

ERUNT 1.1j

Free Easy Burner V 4.0

FullDPAppQFolder

Google Chrome

HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

Hotfix for Windows Media Format 11 SDK (KB929399)

Hotfix for Windows Media Player 11 (KB939683)

Hotfix for Windows XP (KB2158563)

Hotfix for Windows XP (KB2443685)

Hotfix for Windows XP (KB2570791)

Hotfix for Windows XP (KB2633952)

Hotfix for Windows XP (KB2756822)

Hotfix for Windows XP (KB2779562)

Hotfix for Windows XP (KB952287)

Hotfix for Windows XP (KB970653-v3)

Hotfix for Windows XP (KB976098-v2)

Hotfix for Windows XP (KB979306)

Hotfix for Windows XP (KB981793)

HP DVD Play 2.1

HP Game Console and games

HP Help and Support

HP Imaging Device Functions 6.0

HP Photosmart Premier Software 6.0

HP Rhapsody

HP Update

HP User Guides--System Recovery

HP User Guides 0019

HP Wireless Assistant 2.00 E1

HpSdpAppCoreApp

InstantShareDevices

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver

Intel® PRO Network Connections Drivers

Java 7 Update 9

Java Auto Updater

Lernout & Hauspie TruVoice American English TTS Engine

Lexmark Toolbar

LightScribe 1.4.74.1

LimeWire 5.5.10

Locked Programs

Logitech Desktop Messenger

Logitech MouseWare 9.79

Logitech QuickCam

Logitech QuickCam Driver Package

Logitech Resource Center

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.65.1.1000

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Security Update (KB2656370)

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Security Update (KB2698023)

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Security Update (KB979906)

Microsoft Application Error Reporting

Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP

Microsoft Internationalized Domain Names Mitigation APIs

Microsoft Money 2006

Microsoft National Language Support Downlevel APIs

Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English)

Microsoft Security Client

Microsoft Security Essentials

Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0

Microsoft Web Publishing Wizard 1.52

Microsoft Works

MobileMe Control Panel

Mozilla Firefox 12.0 (x86 en-US)

Mozilla Maintenance Service

MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)

MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)

MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430)

MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688)

Netscape Browser (remove only)

NTREGOPT 1.1j

Office 2003 Trial Assistant

OptionalContentQFolder

PhotoGallery

PowerISO

PrintMaster

Quicken 2005

Quicken Family Lawyer 2001

QuickTime

RandMap

Safari

Search Settings v1.2.3

Security Update for CAPICOM (KB931906)

Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2564958)

Security Update for Step By Step Interactive Training (KB898458)

Security Update for Step By Step Interactive Training (KB923723)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB928090)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB929969)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB931768)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB933566)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB938127)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB950759)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB953838)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB972260)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2183461)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2360131)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2416400)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2482017)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2497640)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2510531)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2530548)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2544521)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2559049)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2586448)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2618444)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2647516)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2675157)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2699988)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2722913)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2744842)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2761465)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB971961)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB972260)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB974455)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB976325)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB978207)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB981332)

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB982381)

Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB2378111)

Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB911564)

Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB952069)

Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB954155)

Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB968816)

Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB973540)

Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB975558)

Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB978695)

Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB917734)

Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB936782)

Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 (KB954154)

Security Update for Windows Media Player 6.4 (KB925398)

Security Update for Windows Media Player 9 (KB911565)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2079403)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2115168)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2121546)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2160329)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2229593)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2259922)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2279986)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2286198)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2296011)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2296199)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2347290)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2360937)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2387149)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2393802)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2412687)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2419632)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2423089)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2436673)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2440591)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2443105)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2476490)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2476687)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2478960)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2478971)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2479628)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2479943)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2481109)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2483185)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2485376)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2485663)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2503658)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2503665)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2506212)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2506223)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2507618)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2507938)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2508272)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2508429)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2509553)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2511455)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2524375)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2535512)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2536276-v2)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2536276)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2544893-v2)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2544893)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2555917)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2562937)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2566454)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2567053)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2567680)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2570222)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2570947)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2584146)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2585542)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2592799)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2598479)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2603381)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2618451)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2619339)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2620712)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2621440)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2624667)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2631813)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2633171)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2639417)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2641653)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2646524)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2647518)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2653956)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2655992)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2659262)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2660465)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2661637)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2676562)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2685939)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2686509)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2691442)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2695962)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2698365)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2705219)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2707511)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2709162)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2712808)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2718523)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2719985)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2723135)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2724197)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2727528)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2731847)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2753842)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2758857)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2761226)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2770660)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2779030)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB923561)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB923689)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB938464-v2)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB938464)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB941569)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB950760)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB950974)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB951066)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376-v2)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB952004)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB952954)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB953839)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB954211)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB954459)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB954600)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB955069)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB956391)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB956572)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB956744)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB956802)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB956803)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB956841)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB956844)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB957095)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB957097)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB958644)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB958687)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB958869)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB959426)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB960225)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB960803)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB960859)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB961371-v2)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB961501)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB968537)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB969059)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB969947)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB970238)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB970430)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB971468)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB971486)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB971557)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB971633)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB971657)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB972270)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB973346)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB973354)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB973507)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB973525)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB973869)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB973904)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB974112)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB974318)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB974392)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB974571)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB975025)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB975467)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB975560)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB975561)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB975562)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB975713)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB977165)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB977816)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB977914)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB978037)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB978251)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB978262)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB978338)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB978542)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB978601)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB978706)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB979309)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB979482)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB979559)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB979683)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB979687)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB980195)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB980218)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB980232)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB980436)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB981322)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB981852)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB981957)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB981997)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB982132)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB982214)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB982665)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB982802)

Serif DrawPlus 3.0

SkinsHP1

Skype™ 5.10

SmartAudio

Sonic Audio Module

Sonic Copy Module

Sonic Data Module

Sonic Express Labeler

Sonic MyDVD Plus

Sonic Update Manager

Sonic_PrimoSDK

Sprint SmartView

swMSM

Synaptics Pointing Device Driver

Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515/xx12 drivers.

The Plain-Language Law Dictionary

TIPCI

TourSetup

Unload

Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB973874)

Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB976662)

Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB976749)

Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB980182)

Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB982664)

Update for Windows XP (KB2141007)

Update for Windows XP (KB2345886)

Update for Windows XP (KB2467659)

Update for Windows XP (KB2541763)

Update for Windows XP (KB2607712)

Update for Windows XP (KB2616676)

Update for Windows XP (KB2641690)

Update for Windows XP (KB2661254-v2)

Update for Windows XP (KB2718704)

Update for Windows XP (KB2736233)

Update for Windows XP (KB2749655)

Update for Windows XP (KB942763)

Update for Windows XP (KB951072-v2)

Update for Windows XP (KB951978)

Update for Windows XP (KB955759)

Update for Windows XP (KB967715)

Update for Windows XP (KB968389)

Update for Windows XP (KB971029)

Update for Windows XP (KB971737)

Update for Windows XP (KB973687)

Update for Windows XP (KB973815)

WebFldrs XP

WildTangent Web Driver

Windows Defender

Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB905474)

Windows Internet Explorer 7

Windows Internet Explorer 8

Windows Media Format 11 runtime

Windows Media Player 11

Windows XP Service Pack 3

WinRAR archiver

Wireless Home Network Setup

==== Event Viewer Messages From Past Week ========

12/16/2012 2:23:31 PM, error: sr [1] - The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000001' while processing the file '' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume1'. It has stopped monitoring the volume.

12/16/2012 2:23:23 PM, error: Service Control Manager [7026] - The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: AliIde PCIIde Pcmcia ViaIde

12/15/2012 2:16:14 PM, error: Service Control Manager [7034] - The Process Monitor service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

==== End Of File ===========================

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Thisisu

Version: 4.1.9 (12.19.2012:1)

Ran by Curtis Lumpkin on Wed 12/19/2012 at 15:30:35.81

Blog: http://thisisudax.blogspot.com

~~~ Services

Successfully stopped: [service] application updater

Successfully deleted: [service] application updater

~~~ Registry Values

~~~ Registry Keys

Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] hkey_local_machine\software\application updater

Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\internet explorer\searchscopes\{afbcb7e0-f91a-4951-9f31-58fee57a25c4}

Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\internet explorer\searchscopes\{afbcb7e0-f91a-4951-9f31-58fee57a25c4}

~~~ Files

~~~ Folders

Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\application data\drivercure"

Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Documents and Settings\Curtis Lumpkin\Application Data\drivercure"

Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Documents and Settings\Curtis Lumpkin\Application Data\search settings"

Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Program Files\application updater"

Scan was completed on Wed 12/19/2012 at 15:39:14.67

End of JRT log

downloaded adware from Xplode and it is on my desktop. But when I double click it it asks to run adn then I get the hour glass for a few seconds, and then nothing. Nothing to ask to "SEARCH". I did go to windowa supplied search an pasted in the string you offered but it found nothing. I looked in all files and folders on C: and D:, and included hidden files and folders.

Make sure whatever tools you download are SAVED to the Desktop, first. After a save has tottaly completed, then use Windows Explorer or go to the Desktop (press Windows-key + D key) and run the tool on the Desktop.

Set aside Adwcleaner for now.

Get and do the DrWeb Cure-it procedure. Please proceed forward.

By the way, for your future experience with less than knowledgeable clients like me. i went to the Chrome thingie at the top right of browser page clicked it>settings>advanced settings>downloads> Click Ask where to save each file before downloading. hat is why I didn't have an option to choose desktop, but i do now....i think. lol