Threazy

IP-Block - what now?

10 posts in this topic

Hi - I'm new to malwarebytes - a returning user, actually - and have just updates malwarebytes and it's database. I'm now getting frequent (like every two minutes or so) messages "successfully blocked access to a potentially malicious website: 91.214.44.8 (Type: Outging)" What's this all about and is it something to worry about?

I realize this is probably a frequent question and I'm sorry if this is the ten thousandth time you've seen it. I did a quick search of the forum and found similar messages, but nothing that really gave me a good answer.

I'm running XP Home SP3 and current using Chrome. What do I need to do?

Thanks - Bill

Hello Threazy and Welcome to Malwarebytes

Well you appear to be in the US and that IP appears to be from here

IP address: 91.214.44.8

Host name: hosted-by.altushost.com

91.214.44.8 is from Luxembourg(LU) in region Western Europe

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thanks

You're right, Ron - I'm in Colorado. If you're in Luxembourg, YOU are up awfully late! :-) I will check the link you suggested.

You didn't say whether you think this is a concern or not - should I be worried?

I forgot to ask: what does this message mean? Am I correct in interpreting it that something on my computer is trying to access 91.214.44.8 and that MWB considers that site malicious?

Hi, Threazy: :)

Until AdvancedSetup returns...

>>The IP that you reported in your post is in Luxembourg (not AdvancedSetup). :)

There is more information about the significance of IP blocks in this KB topic: What does it mean when I get an IP alert about blocking a 'malicious' site?

Since these are frequent outgoing IP blocks to an IP on a different continent, they could indicate infection.

That's why AdvancedSetup suggested that you follow the recommendations in this pinned topic: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

A qualified expert will guide you through the process of scanning and, if needed, cleaning you computer.

HTH,

daledoc1

I'm here just doing some Help Desk, PM, and Training Material work.

As daledoc1 said - having an unknown IP block from a foreign Country is often the only sign that some of these new infections have.

Go ahead and do as requested and someone will assist you further for free.

Thanks

Thanks for the help, guys. I started following the instructions and - because of your quick help - I bought the pro version of mbam. However, I've installed it but I can't figure out how to activate it. I don't get an "activate" button/option when I launch the UI and the ID value on the about page is different than the one in my registration. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but same thing - no activation button. How do I activate the full version? (I'm running a full scan right now. Interestingly - and I hope I'm not speaking too soon - the scan found 3 objects ... and the IP-Block message hasn't popped up in several minutes ... which is different than what I had been experiencing ... maybe mbam already found the problem.)

Hi, Threazy: :)

If your system is infected, it may create problems trying to install/run MBAM or other security programs.

That's why AdvancedSetup suggested getting some free, one-on-one help from a malware expert over in the malware removal section of the forum (or at the helpdesk, since you are now using the PRO version).

There are some helpful KB articles and videos about activating MBAM PRO here: How do I activate Malwarebytes Anti-Malware?

and here: How to Activate the PRO Version

>>My personal advice -- as just another home user -- would be to follow AdvancedSetup's expert recommendations and get some expert help with your system. :)

HTH,

daledoc1

okay - just ran DDS and posted my logs. My system scan didn't seem to get the problem and I don't seem to have the full Pro version - no way to activate it. Will follow the other post for further instructions - thanks again.

Thank you. Now you just need to wait please. Most of the helpers are volunteers and have family, jobs, friends, and other things in their lives to attend just like the rest of us. Someone will assist you at no cost except time.

Cheers