Can't Run Malwarebytes Run time Error 371

I guide can be found here: http://forums.malwar...showtopic=61918

A very important step is the last thing in that guide. That is to update your system as soon as the repair in complete. As part of the reinstall of the operating system, your system will be brought to the point of your CD (SP1, SP2, SP3) but no further. There is likely dozens of updates that will need to be installed to bring you current.

Sorry Tom, after the license agreement screen I get a screen that says

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer

Use UP and DOWN arrows to select an item in the list.

-To Set up Windows XP on the selected item, press Enter

-To Create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C

-To Delete the selected partition, press D

Then there is a Box below that says

Unknown Disk

(There is no disk in this drive.)

If I hit enter anyway, I receive a blue screen of deathe whis states:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: setupdd.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Followed by a buch of stuff

I'm beginning to think this XP MAchine (Windows Installation) is hosed.

Hi Tom, sorry for the delay but I've been busy the last three days. So here is what happens when all all the different steps I've tried.

Insert Windows CD in CDROM and power up system. Depress F12 to get the boot menu. Once on the boot menu I select Boot From onboard CDROM I receive a blue screen which says Windows Setup and it goes through loading a bunch of files. Next I receive the first blue screen that says Welcome to setup, to set up Windows XP New press enter, To Repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console press R, To quit press F3. If I press R I receive a black screen that says Microsoft Windows XP Recovery Console. The recovery console provides system repair and recovery functionality. Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the Computer. THis is followed by a C:\> prompt and nothing happens.

If while on the first blue screen I hit Enter, the next screen I receive is the license agreement as indicated in the directions at the link you provided. I press F8 and receive a blue screen that Windows XP Professional SetupThe following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP and DOWN ARROE keys to select an item in the list.

To setup Wiindows XP on the selected iten, press ENTER

To Create a partition in the unpartitioned space press C

To Delete the selected partition press D

In the box below the 3 items above it says

Unknown Disk

<There is no disk in this drive.>

The sample screen in the directions shows an instance of Windows to select and repair. I do not receive anything to select

If I press enter I get the bluue screen of death mentioned in in my previous post.

If I shut down a try again, my computer is freezing at the first blue screen

Not sure what to try next.

Sorry I've been so slow to respond. I saw your post a few hours ago but before I could answer you, a couple trucks showed up and I had to go load them with hay.

Anyhow... I found my disk and double checked the instructions. I was wrong earlier. You do want to hit enter instead of R. Hitting R takes you to the recovery console rather than repairing the operating system. However... if you are not getting a screen that shows a Microsoft Windows line like shown in step 4... then we need to back up and actually enter the recovery console and run chkdsk.

So... boot from the CD again and hit R to get to the recovery console (the black window will open). You should see a line that says:

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows Installation would you like to log on to ?

(To cancel, press ENTER)

You want to press 1

Then at the prompt ( C:\Windows> ) you want to type chkdsk /r and then press enter (note the space between the k and /)

Let the utility one. It will look for errors on your disk and try to repair them. It will take awhile. If it finds errors... then when it is done... run it again. If it then runs without finding any errors.. try the repair again.

No worries Tom. OK so using my Windows XP disk I selected Boot from the onboard CDROM. I selected R to Repair but did not get the screen you noted above asking which instance of Windows. Apparantly Windows is not recognized on my machine I received a black screen which states:

Microsoft Windows XP Recovery Console.

The recovery console provides system repair aand recovery functionality.Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the Computer

C:\>

So I entered chkdsk /r at the C prompt and hit enter

I received

The volumn appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

C:\>

Any other suggestions?

Again, thanks for all your help so far!!!!

OK... let's not start in the recovery console.

Boot your computer normally.

Hold your windows key (found between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and press R. This will open a run box.

In the box type cmd and click OK. This will open a command prompt.

At the prompt (C:\ >) type Chkdsk /r and hit enter.

You will probably get a message similiar to:

CHKDSK cannot run because the volume is in use by another process

Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked next time the system

restarts (Y/N)

type Y and hit enter.

Then type exit and hit enter (this will close the command prompt and take you back to your normal screen)

Now reboot your system and the chkdsk utility will run.

Sorry Tom this didn't work either, I received the following:

The type of file system is NTFS.

Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.

Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system resterts? (Y/N)

I typed in Y and restarted and windows just booted, no chkdsk utility ran. I tried again and again typed Y but this time powered down instead of restarting. This time the chckdsk ran and the first four stages were complete File verification stage 1, index verification stage 2, Security descriptor verification stage 3, Usn Journal verification complete stage 4, and the free data check stage 5 ran. Next windows started.

OK so chkdsk ran but I don't think it did anything. I restarted the system and my desktop is still the same as my original post and Windows is still not recognizing my AVG Antivirus. Windows security alert still says I may be at risk. One note, I could only run chkdsk, not chkdsk /r or chkdsk /f. if I try to run either of those I get the error:

Chkdsk can not ru because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts/ (Y/N).

So it looks like nothing has changed :(

You should get that "...volume in use..." error - but, when you type Y, and then reboot, it should run. If you don't have the space/r after the chkdsk... it won't do anything.

I don't know why it is being so resistive to everything. I'm beginning to think that you need to backup everything you need... reformat, and start fresh.

I am beginning to think the same. Are there any other utilities I should try before reformatting and reloading? Do you have any instructions on how to reformat and reload the operating system? I have an external HD which I backed everything up to. I will run Malwarebytes and my antivirus on the HD to make sure whatever messed up my PC didn’t get backed up onto the HD.

Thanks for all the help!!!!

We can try this:

Boot to the Recovery Console again (from your CD and choose R)

When you get the prompt (C:\>) type fixboot and press enter (it might ask you to confirm)

then type fixmbr and press enter (confirm if it asks)

Then type exit and press enter.

Go ahead and shut down and reboot your system normally.

Then try chkdsk /r from the command prompt again.

OK Tom, so I'm thinking this existence of Windows on this machine is pretty much hosed. I Booted to the recovery console

(off the CD) and typed in R. At the prompt (C:\>) I typed fixboot and pressed enter. I received the following error:

FIXBOOT cannot find the system drive, or the drive specified is not valid.

I also tried fixmbr and nothing happened. Next I tried bootcfg /scan to scan for all disks with Windows installations and display results and I received:

ERROR: Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors.

I tried chkdsk and received

The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems

I then tried chkdsk /r and received the exact same error message as above.

I’m thinking all I can do now is wipe the drive and reinstall Windows XP. Do you have any instruction sheets on how to do that? Also, you’ve been extremely patient with me and VERY helpful. Thank you for all the assistance you gave me.

Hi Tom, this solution still does not work for me. When I get to step 3 as shown below from the instruction link, I don't have anything in the box to select to install to. This is the same as when you asked me to try repairing from the Windows CD. If I try any of the options, I just get the blue screen with plenty of hex and the standard MS statement if theiis the first time you experienced this error....

This is what I receive in the box when I get to step 3 after accepting the license agreement.

| |

| Unknown Disk |

| |

| (There is no dosk in this drive.) |

| |

| |

Blue death screen says Page Fault in nonpaged area

Technical information:

*** Stop:0X00000050 (0xE10E50A0, 0X00000000, 0XF77F3F3E, 0X00000001)

*** setupdd.sys - Address F77F3F3E base at F77CF000, Datestamp 3d6dd67f

Then I have to manaull shut off the machine. If I power it back on, it will still boot to the bad version of Windows that I started with

Step 3: Delete the partition prefix C: To do this select the partition and press the button D

6251225089_d94e4d7b41.jpg