Does malwarebytes actually do anything? - Apparently NOT!

I have the latest version of malwarebytes and its latest update. I originally downloaded the free version a few months ago when it had been highly recommended. I have run its quick and full scans a few times, and of course, it always finds something, but other than letting it delete the threats I didn't pay close attention to what it actually did or didn't do. Yesterday I ran a quick scan, selected to have malwarebytes remove all the threats and let it reboot the system. Then I ran a full scan, again selected to have it remove all the threats, and again let it reboot the system. This morning I had malwarebytes do a quick scan and I detected five threats. I thought some of those threats looked familiar but I couldn't be sure. I had malwarebytes remove the five threats and reboot the system. After the reboot, I immediately had malwarebytes perform another quick scan. It found exactly the same five threats that it had just claimed to have removed. Again, I had it delete them, again I had it reboot the system, and again those same five threats were back as soon as it rebooted. I know it might be possible for something else to be recreating theats when the system reboots, but it that were the case why wouldn't the full scan detect THAT threat - or more accurately THOSE threats since the "threats" malwarebytes detects and fails to delete appear to be unrelated.

mbam-log-2013-04-03 (09-22-19).txt

MBAM-log-2013-04-03 (09-30-18).txt

mbam-log-2013-04-03 (09-37-46).txt

Greetings,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues getting those threats eliminated. It is quite possible that there is a rootkit or some other undetected piece of malware resurrecting those items keeping Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from eliminating them once and for all. If you would, please refer to the information posted here and follow the instructions there to receive direct, free of charge, one on one assistance with getting your computer checked and cleared of any remaining infections.

Thanks,

JMeadows84 I understand you trying to help and all, thanks for that, but we do not give removal advice in the General Forums, this is done in a special section of the forum where folks can get expert help with doing so.

As for your steps, I cringe on your steps as running CCleaner and clearing out temp files may make the computer harder to fix because some of the latest malware these days hide your files in temp folders and doing so will delete your stuff..

Don't get us wrong, we are not asking you not to help or to keep quiet, just merely to not give malware removal advice on the general forums. Also the HJT section which is where such help is provided, you have to be a member of the Experts Group or the Trusted Advisors Group in order to post in that section as well, unless you are the one seeking help.

Yes it is one with SMTMP files, but that's just one variant of it. We do not run any cleanup tools until we know the system is clean, and all files are safe and restored.

Greetings,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues getting those threats eliminated. It is quite possible that there is a rootkit or some other undetected piece of malware resurrecting those items keeping Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from eliminating them once and for all. If you would, please refer to the information posted here and follow the instructions there to receive direct, free of charge, one on one assistance with getting your computer checked and cleared of any remaining infections.

Thanks,

Great answer -- follow the link that tells me I should look for help in the forum! By the way, what the hell is wrong with the forum post editor that it will not let you put a carriage return anywhere in any post. (And don't bother telling me that it has something to do with my system because my RETURN key works everywhere else, it just does not work in the malwarebytes forums)

Great answer -- follow the link that tells me I should look for help in the forum! By the way, what the hell is wrong with the forum post editor that it will not let you put a carriage return anywhere in any post. (And don't bother telling me that it has something to do with my system because my RETURN key works everywhere else, it just does not work in the malwarebytes forums)

Please calm down. The instructions are there to help find the best support options that are available to you. Also the problem you are having has not been reported as far as I've seen and I have no issues. Just because you do doesn't mean everybody does.

By the way, what the hell is wrong with the forum post editor that it will not let you put a carriage return anywhere in any post. (And don't bother telling me that it has something to do with my system because my RETURN key works everywhere else, it just does not work in the malwarebytes forums)

The issue you are seeing with the RETURN now working, (you are probably using IE10). I have the same issue and I think it has something to do with IE10.

I get mine to work with one of two way...

1. You can toggle off Editing mode (top left switch in the posting window)

2. You can click on compatibility mode in IE10 (broken page in the IE browser on top right)