MB eating up CPU

shinglhed

I just installed more RAM. Running windows XP Pro SP3, all updated and optimized.

Older computer so I just installed some more RAM and now whenever MB starts it is using up 90-100% of CPU!? I don't undertsand what could cause this. I am contemplating uninstalling MB, down loading and installing latest version. Also, MB just updated the version and database today before I did the memory upgrade, no problem until the new memory was installed.

Please run the tools below and ATTACH (do not copy and paste) the logs so someone can better assist you.

Please post an mbam-check log:

Create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please attach the CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next reply

Next:

Please run the following scanner and send back the logs.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
  1. DDS.txt
  2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

Before I start running through the usual process I'd like to know why? What is the relationship between the program and the amount of RAM that could cause this problem? And why should we check for infections? I've run the program for years without so much as a hiccup. I add more RAM and that's when the problem started. Also, I wasn't hooked to the internet when I did this so we can't be talking about an infection slipping in somehow.

I did not say you were infected, by providing these logs we can see if there are perhaps some software or hardware conflicts that could be affecting the performance of your computer.

It is probably only a coincidence that it happened when you installed more ram. Its up to you weather you want to provide the logs or not, but its very hard to diagnose without them.

• Root Admin

@shinglhed

As you can see the computer is having a lot of software conflicts. Please temporarily uninstall MBAM and reboot the computer 2 more times after removing the software.

Then run all the scans again and post back all NEW logs and we'll take another look and see how things are working now.

==== Event Viewer Messages From Past Week ========
4/9/2013 8:42:51 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7034] - The Java Quick Starter service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).
4/9/2013 8:42:46 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7034] - The MBAMScheduler service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).
4/9/2013 8:42:41 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7034] - The Skype C2C Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).
4/9/2013 8:42:37 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7034] - The SoundMAX Agent Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).
4/9/2013 8:42:24 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7034] - The Acronis Try And Decide Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).
4/9/2013 8:41:29 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7034] - The WinFax PRO service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).
4/9/2013 8:41:18 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7034] - The Acronis Scheduler2 Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).
4/9/2013 8:41:03 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7034] - The Application Layer Gateway Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).
4/9/2013 7:57:49 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7000] - The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
4/9/2013 7:57:48 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7009] - Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service to connect.
4/9/2013 1:54:04 PM, error: Service Control Manager [7022] - The Automatic Updates service hung on starting.
4/8/2013 7:23:44 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7009] - Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Acronis Try And Decide Service service to connect.
4/8/2013 7:23:44 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7000] - The Realtek LANPkt Protocol service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.
4/8/2013 7:23:44 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7000] - The Acronis Try And Decide Service service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
4/5/2013 7:55:24 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7009] - Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the HTTP SSL service to connect.
4/5/2013 7:55:24 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7000] - The HTTP SSL service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
4/5/2013 7:54:34 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7000] - The Application Layer Gateway Service service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
4/5/2013 7:54:33 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7009] - Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Application Layer Gateway Service service to connect.
4/4/2013 7:49:28 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7000] - The HTTP SSL service failed to start due to the following error: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.
4/10/2013 9:30:54 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7026] - The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: AFD aswFW aswRdr aswSnx aswSP aswTdi Fips intelppm IPSec MRxSmb NetBIOS NetBT RasAcd Rdbss Tcpip
4/10/2013 9:30:54 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the AFD service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
4/10/2013 9:30:54 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The IPSEC Services service depends on the IPSEC driver service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
4/10/2013 9:30:54 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The DNS Client service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
4/10/2013 9:30:54 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
4/10/2013 9:30:23 AM, error: DCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "%1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server: {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}
4/10/2013 9:30:21 AM, error: DCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "%1084" attempting to start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server: {BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}
4/10/2013 9:06:32 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7009] - Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service to connect.
4/10/2013 9:06:32 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7000] - The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
==== End Of File ===========================

Thanks

• Root Admin

Well as long as you've not edited the log then the errors are no longer showing which would indicate that you probably have not setup file exclusions in avast or MBAM to allow them to work together.

Try reinstalling MBAM and setting up exlusions.

If you need help with how to setup exclusions in avast or MBAM please let us know.

Ok, I am confused. The exclusions were set, and still are in Avast. I know I'm no IT guy but even he's confused on how simply adding more memory could cause these problems. I will try reinstalling and re-setting the exclusions but I'm not holding out much hope at this point.

I'll let you know what happens.

• Root Admin

Let's not possibly mix up issues here shinglhed. There are possibly 2 issues going on.

1. There is a current issue where some computers are experiencing a heavy CPU use as you stated, but most are not seeing the issue so we want to figure out the cause.

2. You posted logs that show numerous errors so the assumption is that something is wrong with your computer and not the exact issue as #1 might be, and why I asked you to uninstall MBAM which you did and now the logs do not show the errors. The avast is probably the only thing I can think of on your computer that might cause that conflict.

Please go ahead and do a clean removal of MBAM by following the directions here: MBAM Clean Removal Process Then reinstall the program and reboot even though it won't ask you to. Then run the scans again and let's see if the errors come back again or not.

Thanks

Well I did as you suggested but still have the same problem. So I unchecked the "start protection module with windows" and re-booted. After complete boot up I went to programs and started MB's. Initially it was eating up all the memory but after about 15-20 minutes it finally stopped. Here are the logs from after it stopped eating up the memory but was still open and without the "start protection module with windows" checked. However if I tried to open anything or start another program it would happen all over again. Something else odd, I am unable to check off the "enable malicious website blocking". It just won't check off???

attach.txt

CheckResults.txt

dds.txt

Another update, just to see what would happen I checked off the "start protection module with windows" and did a re-boot. As expected it was eating up the memory but I gave it about 20 min's and it calmed down. But again, as long as I didn't try to open up any files or other programs. Also even after that the taskmgr.exe was fluctuating between 10 and 20% of CPU usage on a constant basis.

I ran the logs again just in case.

attach.txt

CheckResults.txt

dds.txt