What does "Error Opening Path" message in Process Explorer mean?

Eagleeye

Good afternoon,

For some time now, when running Process Explorer, I have noted several items which, when I hover the mouse pointer over, display a message which says, "Error Opening Path." Please see the attached screenshot of the top half of the Process Explorer display. There are several other items such as 3 - 4 rundll32.exe entries, csrss.exe, and winlogon.exe showing this as well.

The only other item I note is the computer seems to take a little too long to fully boot up and the CPU usage to normalize. (It will fluctuate radically anywhere between 0 and 100 %, then finally drop to 0 or slightly above that).

Measures taken so far:

- Ran CCleaner (NOT the registry cleaner part).

- Checked disk fragmentation - no issues.

- Restarted computer 3 times and also powered off and back on after a 20 minute wait.

- Ran scans with my AV, MBAM Pro, and SAS - all were clean.

- Ran a CHKDSK command - no issues found.

- System Restore is set at 4%.

Thank you for your time and any assistance in understanding/resolving these issues which would be most appreciated! (System specs shown in Signature line).

Kind regards,

EE

post-103625-0-54576400-1365877566.jpg

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply! :)

I am (and was) logged in under the default Admin account.

Best regards,

EE

P.S - By the way...the info you and DD1 provided a while back about available info in the FF & NoScript Forums has turned out to be quite informative for the questions I've had! :D

Hi, EE:

I'm not sure if that's what Shy meant.

I think he meant that one needs to right-click the shortcut > run as Admin.

(There are some programs that require it, even if one is logged in to Windows with an Admin account.)

You might take a look at this topic and see if any of the 3 methods described there work:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/474667/process-explorer-shows-error-opening-process/

Having said that, I'm not particularly familiar with ProcMon.

So, one of the staff or more expert members will have additional info.

HTH,

daledoc1

Hi DD1 and Steve,

You both hit the problem right on target! When I ran Process Explorer using the "Run as Administrator"...I no longer see those "Error Opening Path" messages!

Many thanks to both of you for your help with this one! :D

Best regards (as always),

EE

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but by default when you open a command prompt it opens up to your personal directory. However, right clicking it to run as administrator causes it to open up under the system32 path. I think it's because by default when you run a program it uses the current user environmental variables which that one would be under the system variables which probably require administrator access to view in that way.