PROGRAM_ERROR_UPDATING (32,0,MBAMFileIO::WriteFile)

ebridges

My parents have an old an outdated computer, and I am trying to get it "up to snuff." They use Norton, but I felt it needed some additional defense, so I installed the free version of Malwarebytes. I did this a while ago, but my parents don't seem to understand that they need to run it and update it every few weeks. And yes, I considered setting up a scheduled time for it to run, but I tried that with Spybot, and it caused it to freeze and go on the fritz....so I gave up on scheduled runs.

My problem now is I am running Malwarebytes on version 1.62.0.140 (last update 1/29/13), and I obviously need to update to 1.75.0.1300.

I go through the process normally, and get to the end where it says, "Click 'Finish' to exit setup." Once, I do that, I get a small screen that says 'connecting to server' and then it begins downloading v1.75.0.1300. All of that seems normal.

HOWEVER, at the end of the download session, I get an error screen that pops up and says, "An error has occurred Please report this issue to our support team. Include the content of all error messages and codes in your submission.

PROGRAM_ERROR_UPDATING (32,0,MBAMFileIO::WriteFile)

This process cannot access the file because it is being used by another program."

I tried restarting in safe mode with networking, but it did the same thing.

What can I do to fix this?

Hi, ebridges: :)

It sounds as if Norton might be blocking the installation.

Setting mutual exclusions between MBAM and Norton might help, as would a clean reinstall of MBAM.

For the latter, please refer to the instructions here: MBAM Clean Removal Process -- if you are only using the Free version of MBAM, you would want Option #2.

For the former, the generic instructions for setting up exclusions are below -- if you need more specific help, please post back with the exact name and version number of the Norton product.

HTH for starters,

daledoc1

-----------------------------------------------------------

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software (I'm not sure what AV and what version of Windows you are using):

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ mbamscheduler.exe

For Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware \ mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Hello daledoc1,

Thank you for your quick and concise reply. I preformed a clean re-installment of MBAM as you mentioned, and it solved the problem. I am not sure why I didn't think of that myself. As for Norton 360, I cannot be 100% sure, but I do not believe that it was causing an interference because the clean re-installment sufficed without having to set up mutual exclusions. Furthermore, their computer is a 10 y.o. Dell desktop, and many other problems may be abound.

Thank you again, and by the way, nice profile pic. My first dog was an airedale named Mr. Bojangles, lol.