Reddit AMA

celee

Just some old guys crying Samuel. Don't take it to heart, we just don't see the same need for dozens of different "social sites" that the youth today seems to feel is part of their daily lives.

Hey, you're preaching to the choir on that. I don't use Twitter, Facebook or Reddit, but a LOT of people do and I think that has more to do with it than anything else. We reach out to our forum community all the time (because some of us kinda live here :P), but unfortunately our forums just don't generate nearly as much traffic as places like FB, Twitter and Reddit.

"... but unfortunately our forums just don't generate nearly as much traffic as places like FB, Twitter and Reddit."

yeah ... it must be because it does not give the opportunity for one to fill it with mindless commentary .

i guess it is not "trendy" enough (aka : hip , slick and cool) ... much like zoot suits were .

"... but unfortunately our forums just don't generate nearly as much traffic as places like FB, Twitter and Reddit."

yeah ... it must be because it does not give the opportunity for one to fill it with mindless commentary .

i guess it is not "trendy" enough (aka : hip , slick and cool) ... much like zoot suits were .

Well, that and the fact that forums are generally much more focused on a single company or subject matter. This is our official Malwarebytes Support forum. It's here to offer assistance and information to our users, customers and those generally interested in PC security, but for the most part (except for those darn spam bots :P) no one's coming here just to check it out and socialize. Even our forum regulars are here for a reason, usually because they want to learn, enjoy helping others, or a combination of the two. Places like FB, Twitter, Reddit etc. offer something very different. They're general social content websites. In terms of forums, it would be like having one massive super forum where every forum on the internet was a sub-forum of it. Anyone interested in anything would be likely to hang out there and see what's going on. Most internet users hang out on places like Reddit regularly, and many of them also hang out on forums, but most of them obviously do not hang out on THIS forum which can be observed by our user count (which includes quite a few of those darn spammers I referred to since we have to keep their accounts around once they're banned to prevent them from creating new duplicate accounts).

It's just another way to reach out to the masses, just like getting an article in PCMag or on CNET. We want to reach as many users as we can, not just to get more products sold, but also to get the world informed about security, the bad stuff out there on the net and how to be safe.

By the way, where were all these complaints when Marcin did his AMA on Reddit a while back?

I kept my mouth shut, however I personally have no use for Reddit. It was obviously a PR move when Marcin did that, and if he wants to then that's his decision. I assumed at the time that it was Robert's idea, but you know what they say about assumptions. :P

Why go to Reddit when Malwarebytes has a forum "here" where he can discuss the topic subject matter ?

The Topic Matter was for anything. You could just drop me a line via PM or hit me up via the various social media channels if you really wanted to know something. =P Reddit was a good place to pop our heads in and say hello. I don't really frequent Reddit, too busy fighting malware =P.

The Topic Matter was for anything.

< facetious on >

You mean like...

Whether Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works will be able to solve the Nuclear Fusion dilemma within the decade

or

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow

or

How the Gromozon malware used Windows reserved names to stealth their malware in conjunction with Alternate Data Streams

< facetious off >