Search stops when windows/servicepackfiles/i386/viewprov.dll is reached

Hello everybody,

when I do a System-Search, Malwarebytes stops when the file windows/servicepackfiles/i386/viewprov.dll is reached. It doesn't respond anymore and I have to shut the program down. (I tried it 3 times, always the same situation). So I can't end the Search what makes me a little nervous.

(I have to metion here, that I use Malwarebytes as a secon Search-tool; it is however not my standard anti-virus-program. My standard program does not find anything when I do a System-Search.)

Additionally lately the following message popped up severel times:

"rundll32.exe - Error in Application
The exception 'unknown software exception' (0xc00000fd) occured in the application at location 0x00acd25e. Click OK to terminate the program.
"

When I searched my computer for 'rundll32.exe' I came across the file C:\Programs\Malwarebytes'Anti-Malware\Chameleon and again a file named windows/servicepackfiles/i386 (like the one that stops the System-Search).

My problem now is that I don't know if that is connected or what's the case.

So, do you happen to know something about that? Is it a bug? Is it a virus? What else is it?

Thanks for your answer in advance,

Rudiger

Hello and :welcome:

First let me state that Malwarebytes is not an antivirus software, its designed to augment your antivirus software as a second defense system.

There could be several reasons for it stopping on the file you mentioned, could be some corruption of files on the hard drive. Try running a chkdsk on the drive and see if it finds any errors and if the scan will finish.

So we can look further into the system we would need some logs....

Please run the tools below and ATTACH (do not copy and paste) the logs so someone can better assist you.

Please post an mbam-check log:

Create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please attach the CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next reply
Next:

Please run the following scanner and send back the logs.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt

You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

• Root Admin

Something has stopped access to the Event Logs and there are some signs of infection.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thanks