Wojtek

protecting Windows XP after April 2014

9 posts in this topic

please consider protecting the operating system Windows XP from exploits

after April 2014 when the Microsoft updates will stop.

Yes, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit will continue providing and supporting anti-exploit protection for Windows XP even after Microsoft drops support for this platform.

thank you.  the official MS support for Windows XP will be stopped on April 2014,

but Win XP is still used by about 35% of PC users

one more question: MBAE protects several programs and applications against exploits:

browsers, adobe, MS office, and so on,

but what about operating systems (Win XP, Vista, 7, etc.) - are they also protected by MBAE?

There are certain OS components that we do shield, as is the case of Windows Scripting Host and Windows Help, as those may be used or have been used in the past by exploits in-the-wild. But we do not shield the entire system (i.e. all running processes) as that could cause system instability. Our technology shields applications and while it is generic/proactive in nature, it is applied on a per application basis.

Hello !

I'm sorry for my English.

Do you mean that missing security updates will be partly covered by MBAE ?

MBAE will protect against exploits that target vulnerabilities, regardless if the security updates are installed or not. So to answer the question, yes MBAE will protect against exploits targeting XP once Microsoft drops support for it. But as mentioned above, it will not protect against exploits against for example privilege escalation type of exploits, only remote code execution exploits against a list of applications (browsers, addons, java, flash, acrobat, office, etc.). More info at the MBAE FAQs.

MBAE will protect against exploits that target vulnerabilities, regardless if the security updates are installed or not. So to answer the question, yes MBAE will protect against exploits targeting XP once Microsoft drops support for it. But as mentioned above, it will not protect against exploits against for example privilege escalation type of exploits, only remote code execution exploits against a list of applications (browsers, addons, java, flash, acrobat, office, etc.). More info at the MBAE FAQs.

But It Won't Last For A Long Time Period, Will It?

I don't understand what you mean... What won't last?