Windows Vista - Restore Factory Settings

(null)

Hey, first of all, I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but I'm running Windows Vista and I do not have the recovery CD any longer.

I wish to restore the factory settings of this PC, so I can use it for Skype, etc. I currently am on Safe Mode, and while I'm not, it's incredibly slow.

I did just remove a bunch of crapware from here, yet am still having the slowdowns. I do not need any of the files I've downloaded, so...

My question is: Can I do this without the CD? I've tried holding down the '0' key, and a ton of function buttons, but still am having problems.

I'm not really wanting to order a CD, as I just paid over 150 USD on a new Battery and Charger. Please, do help if you have any experience doing so.

P.S: My PC Model is: Toshiba Satelite A215 S5837

I apologize for a triple post, but I've posted this question on one other place (SuperAntiSpyware forums) and they have not replied either. If this question is just a simple no, please just post something so you don't have to keep hearing from me. I just need to know if it's possible to restore factory settings on my Windows Vista 32 Bit Toshiba Satelite A215 S5837

Please help, and thanks for your time.

or ...

seeing as how vista is no longer supported by M$ ... you might consider checking to see if the machine is capable of running W7 .

the second item would be the availability of drivers and such from toshiba .

with a slow machine and no *easy* way to do a re-installation or "factory reset" (or a full wipe and re-install from an OS disk) it might be a good idea to head over to the "malware help" forum and make sure that the machine is free from infection(s) .

another point ... if the backup/restore files/partition on the hard drive is infected all one would be doing is re-installing the/a/an infection .

if you decide to have the machine checked out , start here :

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=9573

Okay, first off, thanks for the replies. I think I have a CD for another windows 7 Computer. Can I try to install that one from the disk drive? And about the malware thing, I'm pretty sure that there's still something on here, but I've scanned with my anti-virus (Avast), SAS, and MBAM and nothing more comes up. It's incredibly slow without safe mode and scanners freeze when I do a complete scan of my computer. I think it's some sort of rootkit or something, but I don't care if I'm going to do a fresh install of Windows 7, as the problems will be gone, correct?

Thanks!

A few things....

Yes if you do a fresh install, that will take care of the infection, but make sure you delete the partitions and create new ones, this will take care of rootkit and MBR infections.

I do not know what type of Windows 7 CD you have, but legally you can only use one license of Windows 7 on ONE computer. It may allow you to install it on another computer, but you will still have to have a valid License to be able to activate it on the computer. Also the CD you have may be a restore/recovery CD which then would not work on the second computer.

Best thing to do is get on specifically for the computer you want to install it on, a fresh Windows 7 CD/DVD to use on the new computer with a valid License.

A few things....

Yes if you do a fresh install, that will take care of the infection, but make sure you delete the partitions and create new ones, this will take care of rootkit and MBR infections.

I do not know what type of Windows 7 CD you have, but legally you can only use one license of Windows 7 on ONE computer. It may allow you to install it on another computer, but you will still have to have a valid License to be able to activate it on the computer. Also the CD you have may be a restore/recovery CD which then would not work on the second computer.

Best thing to do is get on specifically for the computer you want to install it on, a fresh Windows 7 CD/DVD to use on the new computer with a valid License.

Alright, I appreciate the help. I'll see about buying a W7 license.

it never hurts to check things out ahead of time .

i recently had an HP laptop that would not move from vista to W7 or W8.1 (XP being a non-issue) .

i checked the HP site and there were no drivers (video/graphics being on the top of the list) written for W7 or 8.1 .

sure , i could/did load W8.1 but the display would not work correctly without the correct graphics drivers .

i checked the HP forums and exercised my google-fu for a possible answer ...

i found references to others querying HP about the same model and finding out what i did .

there is/was no BIOS flash to fix this and a couple of other comparatively minor issues .

from around the internet i found references of trying vista drivers ...

this/these did not work and resulted in "flicker-flicker-blackscreen" then nothing .

surprise surprise ... the laptop ran linux mint (maya 13 w/mate desktop LTS) flawlessly ... sans one thing ...

the display looked good but would only support the "non-effects" mode (no transparencies , etc .) .

• 5 months later...

I would agree with Firefox on this one CWB. My grandmother had vista and just added Win7 for dual boot after I told her. Also win7 has more security then vista because of IE updates to 11 and has more security updates then Vista. P.S. M$ still supports Vista but doesn't update as often