what 2nd antivirus app can I run alongside Malwarebytes?

First off, Malwarebytes is not an antivirus app. Malwarebytes is designed to run along side your antivirus app as a second layer of defense.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as virus droppers, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. That being said, there are many infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not detect or remove which any antivirus software will, such as file infectors. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

That being said, just about all of them run well with Malwarebytes. Sometimes you have to enter exclusions, but that's on a case by case basis. If you let us know what antivirus program you go with, we can help you from there.

Hi bsacco,

As firefox already wrote: Malwarebytes Anti-malware (MBAM) is not an Anti-virus product, it's supposed to work alongside one. That said, here some advise in finding a nice Anti-virus application (AV) that MBAM can run alongside with.

Malwarebytes did conduct a compatability test with some Anti-virus products. You can find the results here. (If an AV is not listed it does not mean it's incompatible with MBAM.)

To find a suitable anti-virus aplication you can look here. Just click on your operating system and sort the anti-virus aplications on their protection score. Give a couple of the high scoring AV's a try (their trail version) and choose the one you feel the most comfortable with. I'd advise to buy the 'internet security'-version (and not just the anit-virus version) of the vendor you chose as the '"internet security"-versions include a firewall and an Intrusion prevention system as well. If you don't know what those are, I'll keep it to a: "you'll want those". They help you to keep your computer secure.

There are a lot of Anti-virus testing sites, I chose for AV-test here, as it uses as little technical talk as possible (e.g. virtually none) and their testing-methodologies seem valid to me. A lot of discussion is going on about what testing sites are good which are not, but I like this one.

I hope this will help you to find a nice piece of anti-virus software. I've tried to keep my post as jargon free as possible but if you have any questions, please ask.

Be prepared for anti-virus vendors to tell you that their programs are incompatible with MBAM. Bitdefender in their forum and their support tells you to not use MBAM Pro. I pressed them for details and their response finally was "a beta tester reported slowness". Anyway, a few of us on their forum run Bitdefender and MBAM Pro with no issues. Some have excluded processes from in both packages but I've never experienced an issue.

Be prepared for anti-virus vendors to tell you that their programs are incompatible with MBAM. Bitdefender in their forum and their support tells you to not use MBAM Pro. I pressed them for details and their response finally was "a beta tester reported slowness". Anyway, a few of us on their forum run Bitdefender and MBAM Pro with no issues. Some have excluded processes from in both packages but I've never experienced an issue.

As a Norton user, I can say that you're 100% right about the AV forums maintain that position, non-compatibility.

I've asked for test data at the Norton forum as well as an Admin here, and the Norton forum mods/members have not provided any test data to substantiate their recommendation.  They're certain about it too over there.

Hi,

the general rule is NOT to run two or more antimalware programs with a real time engines.

"never experienced an issue" while running MBAM Pro along any other AV in real time is not an advice to follow; the "issue" may not be evident but for sure you will notice a difference uninstalling MBAM Pro.

Use a well known AV with detection rate above 95% and run time to time MBAM free, TDS Killer, Hitman Pro.

In so many years of running MBAM Pro along an AV in real time I never had a detection triggered by MBAM before the AV I used.

The "general rule" a.k.a. FUD is insufficient for me to base my security decisons on and you are incorrect that I notice a difference without MBAM Pro. Instead of relying on assumptions I cannot find a shred of evidence or technical detail to support your claims in the context of this thread. Malwarebytes certifies their software works alongside AV software so please let them know if you've discovered an incompatibility.

Bitdefender is arguably one of the top AV packages with a detection rate well above 95%. They have a section in their forum for their customers who aquired malware while using Bitdefender. BD and MBAM are two different products with two different purposes that are compatible and work well together. I'll continue to enjoy multilayer protection while waiting for anything that causes me concern using the two packages together.

I'd like to make a small remark about proton's post.

That a test indicates that it stopped 100% of the malware in the test does not mean 100% protection. As AV-comperatives wrote in their Realworld protection test of 2013:

"We would like to point out that while some products were able to reach 100% protection rates in a test, it does not mean that these products will always protect against all threats on the web. It just means that they were able to block 100% of the wide spread malicious samples used in a test."

There will always be something left to detect.

By the way: has anyone found the testing methodologies used for the test proton mentioned?

have you noticed the latest AV 

Comparatives report?

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen anything later than August. Bitdefender appears to be struggling to keep up as the year goes on. They came out of the gate strong in 2013 and by the grace of an alphabetized list came in 1st at least once. I almost went with F-Secure which is generally in a statistical tie with BD but is pricey. I bought an older version of BD from Amazon for US$7 for three licenses for 2 years and then upgraded to their latest and greatest.

BTW: Nice avatar. :)