Malwarebytes freezes up my computer

After downloading Malwarbytes I can not get it to run as it freezes and locks up computer about 7 secondes into the scan. It does in on both full and quick. It completely locks up computer and the only way out is to turn off the power and cold re-boot.

I have tried to run the clean utility but I get the error code, "SHGetValue failed with error code 0." Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hello,

I'm having a similar problem. I'm running mbam because my machine is infected with uniccodec. I am running a full scan in safe mode, so my other anti-virus software is symantec is not on. All network connections are disconnected.

The full scan runs for about 52 minutes then freezes. The computer itself has not frozen, just the scan. It has done this 4 times now, not always on the same file, but at about the same time.

Please advise; my further concern is it's not finding any infected files & by the time it is stalling it is already nearly finished. I know that this virus is on my computer though. So if you have any thoughts about that as well I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much for all your help!

Jess

I forgot to use the MBAM clean utility after uninstalling Endpoint. So I uninstalled MBAM again rebooted and ran the cleaning utility. I rebooted and reinstalled MBAM and it is now working. No more freezing!

I have replaced Endpoint with Avast based on the many recommendations.

Please advise; my further concern is it's not finding any infected files & by the time it is stalling it is already nearly finished. I know that this virus is on my computer though. So if you have any thoughts about that as well I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much for all your help!

Jess

Hi,

If it is stalling towards the end of ths scan at the same point then there is the potential for one scenario that i have witnessed whilst using MBAM to clean out infections dropped by P2P worms.

The last part of the MBAM scan is what we call Heur+EXTRA's and is what we hit alot of malware out with.

The issue i experienced was there was a folder with over 22,000 copies of a worm inside of it so when MBAM encountered this folder it took it some 40mins to enumerate and check all the files within(of which all were detected as Worm.Archive).

The time it took to enumerate all the files in the folder would have given the appearance of the software stalling but in fact it was just working overtime due to the sheer volume of extra workload on it.

Try scanning again in regular mode then leaving the pc alone for a couple of hours to see if MBAM is able to complete the scan.

Be prewarned if this is the same scenario as what is occuring on your pc then it will also take a long time also for MBAM to delete the files at the end of the scan because of the sheer volume of removals. We are talking gb's of worm replicated files.

Hello,

Thanks so much for your response, I really appreciate the help. When the scan stalled, I was assuming that it had frozen because it wasn't tracking the time any more, it wasn't counting any more files being scanned, & none of the buttons (pause scan, abort scan) responded to hovering or clicking.

I tried running a quick scan, & that worked fine. It found 8 infected files, none that included the name UNICCODEC in them anywhere, but stuff I'm sure I'm glad I don't have anymore; mbam was able to delete these 8 with no problem. I'm running Vista, so I decided to retry the full scan, only this time, deselecting the D (recovery) drive from the scan. It ran a full scan of the C drive perfectly, although it only came across one infected file; this one did have UNICCODEC in the file name. After that, I ran a full scan just on the D drive, and it was stalling again. So I'm not sure if the problem is similar to what you're talking about--it's finding something big on the D drive that needs more time--or if there is just something about the D drive that isn't letting mbam scan it.

After the successful full scan of mbam on the C drive, I decided to start taking a look around my computer to see what the damage from the virus was. I was able to open some documents and programs that I hadn't been able to open when the infection started causing its damage. I thought maybe I was in the clear.

Not the case. I decided that I wanted to remove Symantec Antivirus 10.2 and instead install Norton Antivirus 2009, mostly because the former is what came installed on my computer but the latter is what I've always used & was familiar with. I purchased Norton but couldn't install it because it wanted Symantec uninstalled first. But I can't seem to uninstall Symantec; the uninstall stalls/freezes up & I'm forced to shut my computer down completely. I even got from Symantec their cleaning utility cleanwipe, & that stalled as well. I tried updating my Lavasoft AdAware program as well, the program itself & the virus definitions, but couldn't do either.

Something is preventing me from making any changes to my protection software. I'm having other problems too--Google seems hijacked; when I click on search results I'm redirected to different URLs, I can only go to any particular website by manually entering the URL or clicking on a direct link, can't do anything through Google.

It's obvious to me that either the UNICCODEC is gone, but caused some damage somewhere, or the UNICCODEC or some other malware is still on here somewhere and I can't find it to get rid of it. I don't think that if there were something on my D drive that it would have these effects--but I'm no tech expert, so what do I know. I can't even run a scan with my Symantec Anti-virus software at all; it gives me various errors. MBAM has been the only software I've been able to run at all to try & get rid of whatever is on my machine.

Ok, so I know I've now branched out into stuff that goes beyond my initial issue with mbam stalling, but I really appreciate that there are people here willing to talk me through stuff & help me out. If you have any other ideas about what is wrong with my computer or what I need to try next, I would be ecstatic to hear it. If there are other forums you recommend I post this in, please let me know, I'll be glad to. I'm really stuck here, because I'm working on my bachelor's degree online--I'm in the middle of a semester & this is grinding me to a halt. I need to be back in business here, like, yesterday. :D Any help would be appreciated. If it comes down to having to scrub my hard drive & start fresh, that's what I'll do.

Thanks again,

Jess

---------------------------------------

Hi,

If it is stalling towards the end of ths scan at the same point then there is the potential for one scenario that i have witnessed whilst using MBAM to clean out infections dropped by P2P worms.

The last part of the MBAM scan is what we call Heur+EXTRA's and is what we hit alot of malware out with.

The issue i experienced was there was a folder with over 22,000 copies of a worm inside of it so when MBAM encountered this folder it took it some 40mins to enumerate and check all the files within(of which all were detected as Worm.Archive).

The time it took to enumerate all the files in the folder would have given the appearance of the software stalling but in fact it was just working overtime due to the sheer volume of extra workload on it.

Try scanning again in regular mode then leaving the pc alone for a couple of hours to see if MBAM is able to complete the scan.

Be prewarned if this is the same scenario as what is occuring on your pc then it will also take a long time also for MBAM to delete the files at the end of the scan because of the sheer volume of removals. We are talking gb's of worm replicated files.

Any suggestions to solve my problem?

If you start Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) before you start your scan, you can confirm whether your problem and mine are the same. Mine also locks up at the 7 second point. If Task Manager tells you that WinMgmt.exe and CSRSS.EXE are getting all the CPU time, then we have the same problem.

Dave S.