operating stystems and drivers

greyowl

I have a Dell laptop that has Vista on it.  There is a problem with the computer so I need to remove the operating system and reinstall it.

I no longer have the Vista disc so I will have to use an XP disc.  I am wondering if XP will work OK on the laptop.

Dell only has drivers for Vista on their website.  I am wondering if these drivers are likely to work with XP.

Thank you.

most likely the XP drivers will not work .

some computers will not "downgrade" to XP ... and if there are no XP drivers listed at dell then this is a good sign that the laptop will not work with XP .

(i have run into this in the past)

also ... laptops are only good for the OS and COA/activation code they came with (you were not clear on this point) .

in other words , you cannot load the XP OS and plug in the activation code for the vista os (that is on the bottom of the laptop) .

The Dell Latitude E6400 is capable of;  XP/32 and XP/64, Vista/32 and Vista/64 as well as Win7/32 and Win7/64.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/latitude-e6400/drivers

All you need is a Dell branded OS installation disk for XP, Vista or Win7.

Yes, just for XP/32.

No for Vista and Win7:  Max it to 4GB for x32. 

The minimum suggested is 4GB for x64.  Max RAM of E6400 is 8GB (PC2-6400).

EDIT:  The latter OS' will "crawl" or "limp" at best and not "run" with 1.5GB.  RAM is cheap now -- Go for the RAM.

The Dell Latitude E6400 is capable of;  XP/32 and XP/64, Vista/32 and Vista/64 as well as Win7/32 and Win7/64.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/latitude-e6400/drivers

All you need is a Dell branded OS installation disk for XP, Vista or Win7.

Thank you so much for this link.

When I looked it up, I could only find drivers for Vista.  Maybe, I was on the Canadian Dell site.

I have now successfully reformated the hard drive and installed XP.  Just need to now install the drivers.

Thanks so much for the help.

If I run into anymore problems, I will post again.