Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frankmcatee

Hijack.ControlPanel Style

7 posts in this topic

I received this error and another that stated Heuristics.reserved.Word.Expoloit.

Malware bytes scanned and deleted them... but the user that I support and I would like to know what this malware "does" to your PC.

What is it's intended purpose? Besides frustrating the user?

It a heuristic hit on something that was using a known exploit. There is nothing there that specifically says what malware it was, so we can't really say what the does.

It a heuristic hit on something that was using a known exploit. There is nothing there that specifically says what malware it was, so we can't really say what the does.

If he gets the virus again and I am able to get a Hijack this log... would that tell you?

If he gets the virus again and I am able to get a Hijack this log... would that tell you?

We'd have to have a copy of the malicious file to be able to say what it does, but since I'm not part of the research team I can't really guarantee that I would be able to tell you what it did.

You can always upload it to VirusTotal, and see if other security software detects it. Sometimes that can give you a clue as to what type of malware it is.

It would seem that the virus attaches itself somehow to the installation of Windows Update agent as when Malwarebytes cleans the malware Windows updates stop working. I then have to go through and do the following to get updates to work again:

Open a Command Prompt and forced a re-install of the Windows Update Agent with the following command:

C:\WUAGENT\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce

Attempt to download and install the Windows Updates again.

Malwarebytes may need/want to look at their clean up procedure regarding this as it actually opens up a huge vulnerabiltiy with Windows Updates not being installed...

Can you send this issue to your team please?

I will send the Hijack this log. Not sure what else I can send you.