Why Anti-Exploit and not part of Anti-Malware?

NathanielA

I guess I'm just confused and simple-minded.... but I have just become aware of the Anti-Exploit program and was wondering why it isn't added onto Anti-Malware... either integrated or as a optional add-on?  It can look like Malwarebytes is looking for ways to boost revenue for the people who are grand-fathered in who bought the program before they went to an annual fee setup. Will there be 3 or 4 more programs, instead of "enhancements" to Anti-Malware?  Pretty soon with 3 or 4 $24.95/yr it can get pretty pricey for what could be a "suite" approach.

I'm happy that they're looking out for XP users.... and I don't know if the Anti-Exploit is also of use for non XP users... I just find the 'pieces' approach confusing and wonder how many more pieces there may be? On the other hand, I'm happy to support Malwarebytes... I just wish there was just one program instead of not knowing if I'm protected with just Anti-Malware, or if and when there are other programs or modules that I should have some way of knowing if I even need them or not?

I'm confused. How many anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-exploit, anti-whatever thingies do I really need and why aren't they or can't they be rolled into one program or suite?

Just wondering in Oceanside, CA

Anti-Exploit is the product of Zero Vulnerability Labs, which Malwarebytes bought in 2013.  It is definitely of value for non-XP users, including server users.  The easiest way to think about the difference between Anti-Malware and Anti-Exploit (in very general terms) is that Anti-Malware guards against WHAT you are being attacked with, and Anti-Exploit guards against HOW you are being attacked.  Two entirely different approaches to keeping you safe.

Anti-Malware just had a major program update.  Anti-Exploit was just introduced.  Both are the result of long processes.  Trying to mold them together into a single piece would have resulted in a mess, given the amount of time involved and the complexity.  Maybe one day they'll be one, but not now.