2.0.2 crashing on update or scan. Runtime Error, Visual C++ Library, "terminate it in an unusual way"

I'm running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Trial) 2.0.2.1012 on a Windows XP Home Edition sp3 Dell Inspiron laptop.  This is a fresh installation of Malwarebytes on a computer I haven't used in over a year. The installation appeared successful, but the database is out of date and when I try to update it I get a dialog with the following text:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Selecting "OK" on the dialog will close it and kill the Malwarebytes application.  If I try to start a scan I get the same behavior.

I've used mbam-clean-2.0.2.0.exe to uninstall Malwarebytes and then did a fresh install and the problem persists.

I tried mbam-clean again, then installed with Malwarebytes Chameleon (ver. 1.62.1.1000).  The installation appeared successful, during which there is a dialog that says the database was successfully updated from version v2013.04.04.07 to version v2014.06.17.12, then ran a full scan successfully, but the final version installed is 1.75.0.1300.

I uninstalled version 1.75.0.1300 and downloaded Chameleon ver. 3.1.4, but when the latest chameleon is installing mbam I get the same Runtime Error dialog that happens when I try to update or scan with 2.0.2, at which point the installation dies.

Any help to get the latest Malwarebytes Anty-Malware installed and running would be appreciated (I have a premium account, but I don't want to waste an activation on this laptop if the latest mbam is going to have problems with the older Windows OS).

Thank you,

Michael

Hello Michael and :welcome:

Since your XP Home SP3 system probably hadn't been permitted Windows updates in its period of semi-retirement, have you recently updated that system?

If you believe the XP's Operating System has been made current, then please allow MBAM 2.0.2.1012 to remain and gather the below diagnostic log sets and attach the 3 requested log files in a reply to this thread.

Re: Diagnostic Logs

Thank you.