Follow us on Twitter!

Are they bad? I use facebook and myspace, and both redirected me to the antimalwarescanner website... once. :/

I don't really trust them ever since but I am hesitant to get rid of them because its how I keep in touch with some people.

Agreed, I avoid social networking sites like the plague.

It can be a risk, particularly for the reason you are wary. Their sites are getting hacked all the time and pages get modified to host malicious code, both because it's easy for the malware makers to do and because the sites get so much traffic, thus increasing their chances of infecting more users, which is their goal, either to use the infected PC's in a bot net or to steal personal and financial info, or both, not to mention swindling money out of unsuspecting users with their rogue security software.

Ugh. Yeah I did get a browser hijack on both sites :/

I want to be able to use them but at the same time I find them a risk! I don't even really use them at home anymore, although that hasn't happened again since the few times that I have used the sites at home.

Oh, here is something that I wanted to tell you in another thread, but it kind of applies here too so I'll paste it in. I wrote it to Victimized originally, but I thought that you might be able to help me too :P

It can be a risk, particularly for the reason you are wary. Their sites are getting hacked all the time and pages get modified to host malicious code, both because it's easy for the malware makers to do and because the sites get so much traffic, thus increasing their chances of infecting more users, which is their goal, either to use the infected PC's in a bot net or to steal personal and financial info, or both, not to mention swindling money out of unsuspecting users with their rogue security software.

Honestly it depends on when you did the online stuff and when the computer was infected. If a lot of time went by between when you did it and the time it became infected then it should be safe, of course it could have been infected with something else before that so it's never a good idea to use a machine you don't completely trust, if not, you might just make sure you check your credit every once in a while to make sure nothing that shouldn't be there pops up (a good idea for everyone anyway). I do online banking, online shopping and I do my taxes online every year, but I take extensive precautions (as you can tell by my signature below). Most would say it's overkill and it probably is, but it makes me feel safe and I'v had absolutely 0 infections in the past 3 years, which is nice :P . To be honest though, if you feel insecure about online transactions, then just don't do it as it isn't necessary. There's always phone and regular mail transactions, and of course good old face to face contact in stores and offices :D .

Exile:

Thanks again!

Oh, and by the way, I just learned of a new lovely Facebook virus... Koobface or something. UGH! I think you only get it by clicking on a so-called youtube link, but I am not sure.

Wow I just don't know so many things yet but hopefully that will change with time :P

:P I am a Fan and a Follower of Malwarebytes. Never had a problem with Social Networking sites, but yes, you need to be mindful of security and your privacy settings. Reading discussions on security sites that have forums dedicated to Social Media Security is a good idea as well.