A short time ago I heard about the Torch web browser. It seemed pretty interesting and better than Internet Explorer so I wanted to try it out. I went and tried to download it on the Torch website. However, when I downloaded it, McAfee and Malwarebytes went crazy and were able to stop Torch from causing an harm. After that experience I did some research. As it turns out a small number of users (and I mean really scarce) reported that it contain Adware and other kinds of crazy stuff.

So beware of the Torch web browser and don't be stupid like me.

always check files you download here before you run   www.virustotal.com  /  www.metascan-online.com 

seems it comes bundled with PUP

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/3bc4e4fda7c695374b97fdb5cc26e24d99ae02934f4d0f0cce535071431da31f/analysis/1421000120/

Malwarebytes PUP criteria  https://www.malwarebytes.org/pup/

As with anything you download from the internet, you have to do some research first, and when you download a file you can always upload the files to Virus Total to have the file analyzed for malware.

If you would have submitted the file you would have seen that the file was not safe as the results would have it HERE

Thx for the advice.

my question is : why would anyone want to install an "ad supported" browser ?

about the only reason i can think of would be if there were some form of remuneration or "savings/discounts" available to users of the browser .

i dunno ... to my way of thinking it is like the city morgue giving out free samples .