Can't Delete "mbar" Folder?

I had Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit and it would scan perfectly fine. I then got a notice to update my program, so I did. The new version that I have does not scan correctly, and get's stuck all time. After it gets stuck, I can't close it, and I must restart my computer just to close it. I, also, can't delete the folder that the program auto-generated, "mbar". I go to delete it, with the error message: "You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from J-PC/J to make changes to this folder." I am using an administrator account, so there should be no problem. Thanks in advance.

• Staff

Please run Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit (MBAR), but we need to run it a special way. Open the \mbar folder, then hold the right shift key and right click a blank space in the folder.

•Select "open command window here"

•In the black command prompt box, type in the following and press Enter:
mbar.exe /r

(note - there is a space between mbar.exe and /r)

You should see a message indicating the protection driver was removed. In some cases, you may need to run the command more than once.

Once you are done with that step, you should be able to delete the mbar folder.

Sorry for the late response, I ended up fixing it by running a command prompt as an administrator and using the del command to get rid of it. Is there any reason why it would only get stuck on this version? It used to work perfectly.

Edit: I'm running Windows 8.1

• Staff

Hi Valor.

Without further diagnostics it would be difficult to say. I've not had any such issues on my live systems or many VMs when I tested this build. Do you recall where it was stalling?

Just as a reminder, MBAR Beta is not something that typically needs to be run regularly and should be used only when rootkits or other hidden infections are suspected.

• 5 months later...