Yet Another Cleaner, Yet Another Stealer

• Root Admin

For those of you that have been around a while you may remember iObit stealing our database years ago. Seems we have a new player with the same game. Please read more about it on our Blog posting below.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Corrected font issue
  • 3 weeks later...

Well -

Now I know why, when I tested it and reviewed it the results were so good.

I was just testing a program that I already had, even though I did this quite a while back.

People called it a PUP then, and wanted help to remove it, but I was able to install it twice, over several months, and just followed the given uninstall method at the time.

I'm tired of YAC downloading by itself

Yes, it is installed with other programs, never by itself unless you ask it (as always read the fine print), but their site was quite open about that at the time.

It had a very "active" heuristic type of method towards many programs, and this is most likely how you trapped them.

It did not impress me above M.S.E. and MBAM combined, but it just had a few more "bells and whistles"....... Like a smiley face now on MBAM.. :)

:welcome:  << This may have been better ?? Sorry I did not put it up earlier :rolleyes: ..

For those of you that have been around a while you may remember iObit stealing our database years ago. Seems we have a new player with the same game. Please read more about it on our Blog posting below.

Is there anything that MBAM can do, sue them or whatever?  I vividly remember something similar going on with Iobit in 2009.  It was discussed at great length at MajorGeeks' forum. That's the reason I have not and will never install any software by Iobit.  And now this one.  YUCK!!

Yes, IObit was stealing Malwarebytes database definitions to use on their own product, IObit Malware Fighter. The original thread on Malwarebytes explaining this is located here:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/29681-iobit-steals-malwarebytes-intellectual-property/

I don't know how this resolved, but IObit products are now blacklisted for me and I strongly encourage everyone to uninstall them. Plus, most of their products are "junkware", programs you don't need like driver updaters and PC Boosters. They won't do anything good to your system, just bloat it down at one point, maybe break it.

• Root Admin

Though this post is not about iObit (it was many years ago now) the links below provide more information regarding the iObit theft for those interested.

This is a Chinese company that has long since removed all reference to their location but not sure why.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Corrected font issue
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, IObit was stealing Malwarebytes database definitions to use on their own product, IObit Malware Fighter. The original thread on Malwarebytes explaining this is located here:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/29681-iobit-steals-malwarebytes-intellectual-property/

I don't know how this resolved, but IObit products are now blacklisted for me and I strongly encourage everyone to uninstall them. Plus, most of their products are "junkware", programs you don't need like driver updaters and PC Boosters. They won't do anything good to your system, just bloat it down at one point, maybe break it.

It was actually IObit Security 360, IObit Malware Fighter never used stolen signatures (but who knows?)

• 4 weeks later...

Imagine they made a YAC forums, which is pretty much a copy of MBAM forums.

Anyway MBAM Team, what are you going to do about this? 

There needs to be a way to protect the databases from copiers.

• 3 weeks later...

It was actually IObit Security 360, IObit Malware Fighter never used stolen signatures (but who knows?)

and it shows too. Lol! I don't think they stole those databases for IObit Malware Fighter as well as IOBit security 360. The reason I suspect this is because IOBit Malware Fighter sucks by comparison to MBAM. It's actually quite pathetic as a free malware scanner and likely as a paid one too. I have used all the good and bad malware/spyware/adware scanners that have free versions and believe me when I say, that MBAM free is far and away the best. Next to that would be Spybot and Superantispyware and Viper Rescue. Nobody else even comes close to Mbam quality for a free scanner. I am a computer technician by trade, who runs my own business and I use and recommend many free tools. MBAM is a staple in my arsenal. Always has been and always will be. I recommend it above any other. That said, IOBit has some awesome free programs that I simply love. Smart Defrag, Advanced System Care and Driver Booster are quite good and powerful for free programs. Malware Fighter however, doesn't hold a candle to MBAM! I love MBAM. It has tackled some of the toughest malware and successfully removed them. It just does not get any better. Especially for a free scanner. Keep up the good work guys! I recommend you all the time and so do other experts I know. :)

I should clarify the first sentence in my previous comment. I read it and realized that it "possibly" conveyed that I did not believe that IOBit stole MBAM's databases. I believe they certainly did steal them for IOBit Security 360. It was better than their new Malware Fighter and now I know why. Lol. Thank's for clearing that up Root Admin. I now have a very different opinion of IOBit knowing what I know now. That's pretty sad that they stole your tech.