Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Update to 2.1.6

Hi,

I think I will wait a short while longer until it has bedded in and I can see from the forums that there are no "easter eggs" of the "gone bad" variety :-)

One thing that is quite annoying - the constant nag box telling me to update the version.  I click "later" and a few seconds later it nags me again and this goes on and on.  

Please appreciate that not everyone wants to update their software immediately and I (we) could do without the constant nag box.  

After some bad experiences with Windows updates and also some with MBAM I have a policy of wait and see for 2 weeks (unless it is a critical security patch that I would be foolish to ignore). 

Cheers,

Paul

Hi:

I usually do a clean upgrade.

I just now updated to 2.1.6 on top of 2.1.4 on "DT1" (see specs in my sig block).

(SP was not enabled before the upgrade.)

The following 2 settings were not retained/honored after the required reboot:

• General -- "Close notifications after X seconds" -- it reverted back to the 3-second default (I had it set at 7 seconds before the upgrade)
  • Scheduler -- "Show notifications after successful update" reverted to disabled (I had it enabled before the upgrade)

I'm not sure if this is expected behavior, and/or if these behaviors have been previously reported as bugs??

Easy enough to fix.

So this is largely "FYI".

Cheers,

Hi:

got mine 2 days ago from an rss feed to: http://www.filehippo.com/search?q=Malwarebytes+Anti-Exploit - Installed over the top, 1019, no issues

???

Did you mean to post this in the MBAE forum section? :)

(This thread is the MBAM 2.1.6 news/announcement thread.  Just sayin'.  Also, staff will correct me if I am wrong, but I think MBAE updates to 1.06.1.1019 were discontinued because of a bug, and they are internally testing another build?)

I could well be wrong....

Cheers,

This update has caused all manner of problems:

System date reset to some weird date way back in the past

System time incorrect

The above caused other issues in themselves.

In addition, the sys tray has had program icons affected - now some of them are missing (in some cases its just the icon, in others its the program),

Programs that previously ran on startup now no longer run.

I haven't been able to troubleshoot everything but one thing is certain - this 2.1.6.1022 has to go. I will try and fix the errors/and then revert to 2.1.14.

Not happy about paid software causing so many, many problems. :angry:

Hello and :welcome: , @blackvan:

Sorry you are having problems.

We have not seen any reports of similar issues (changing the computer's system date or time, preventing other programs from running, etc.).

However, we would be more than happy to assist you in the support area of the forum.

(This particular thread is a "news" thread and the uploading of attachments, such as diagnostic logs, is not permitted here).

We could better assist you if you could please start a NEW, SEPARATE forum topic in the MBAM Help area, using this clickable >> cjfj.png button.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

• General -- "Close notifications after X seconds" -- it reverted back to the 3-second default (I had it set at 7 seconds before the upgrade)
  • Scheduler -- "Show notifications after successful update" reverted to disabled (I had it enabled before the upgrade)

I'm not sure if this is expected behavior, and/or if these behaviors have been previously reported as bugs??

Hi daledoc1 - 

The "Close notifications..." setting should only be changing when going to any MBAM 2.1 version from an earlier version.  It shouldn't happen when going from 2.1.4 to 2.1.6, so thanks for reporting this!

The other issue for "Show notifications..." has already been reported.   :)

Thanks for letting us know!

Hi:

???

Did you mean to post this in the MBAE forum section? :)

(This thread is the MBAM 2.1.6 news/announcement thread.  Just sayin'.  Also, staff will correct me if I am wrong, but I think MBAE updates to 1.06.1.1019 were discontinued because of a bug, and they are internally testing another build?)

I could well be wrong....

Cheers,

thx. for the correction,  wrong product posted in wrong forum?  sorry

• Staff

Hi:

I usually do a clean upgrade.

I just now updated to 2.1.6 on top of 2.1.4 on "DT1" (see specs in my sig block).

(SP was not enabled before the upgrade.)

Easy enough to fix.

So this is largely "FYI".

Cheers,

Daledoc,

Hey there!  We are aware of these issues and will do what we can to pull them into the next release.  Thanks for reporting :)

The reason this still exists is because the default value of Close Notification used to be 7 seconds, but now the default value is 3 seconds.  If you install over the top and it sees 7 seconds, it will think "I need to set this from the old default value to the new default value".

I know this update is being rolled out gradually but I was offered it on one system the day it was released.  On my other system, 8 days later, it still hasn't shown.  I know I can get it manually but I wonder if something isn't working with the update mechanism on system two.

Considering that there are tens (if not hundreds) of millions of products out in the wild, its working fine. I got my update notification on one computer yesterday, but two are still waiting. If issues on 2.1.4 didn't impact me, I'm in no rush.  Don't know why anyone else would be either.

Considering that there are tens (if not hundreds) of millions of products out in the wild, its working fine. I got my update notification on one computer yesterday, but two are still waiting. If issues on 2.1.4 didn't impact me, I'm in no rush.  Don't know why anyone else would be either.

Then I guess I should consider myself honored that one computer received the update immediately. I certainly beat the odds. ;-) . 

But seriously this one must being distributed differently as the previous two or three updates, including the significant change from v1 to v2, all arrived to my computers essentially simultaneously.

edit:  Update presented itself on system 2 today.  Good thing as system 2 was feeling inferior to system 1. ;) 

Hi daledoc1 - 

The "Close notifications..." setting should only be changing when going to any MBAM 2.1 version from an earlier version.  It shouldn't happen when going from 2.1.4 to 2.1.6, so thanks for reporting this!

The other issue for "Show notifications..." has already been reported.   :)

Thanks for letting us know!

Daledoc,

Hey there!  We are aware of these issues and will do what we can to pull them into the next release.  Thanks for reporting :)

The reason this still exists is because the default value of Close Notification used to be 7 seconds, but now the default value is 3 seconds.  If you install over the top and it sees 7 seconds, it will think "I need to set this from the old default value to the new default value".

OK, thanks!

Sorry for the redundant reporting.

FURTHER UPDATE:

I just noticed that "Show Notification after Successful Update" settings are NOT sticking after the on-top upgrade from 2.1.4 to 2.1.6.

I just cold-booted my main desktop to find that the setting was once again disabled, even though I had set it to enabled a few days ago when I upgraded.

So, in addition to reverting to "disabled", it appears that enabling it is not honored after a system reboot.

It reverts to "disabled" again, at least in the GUI (I haven't run mbam-check to see what the log shows and I haven't seen a db update, yet, during this Windows user session).

I guess I will either live without the notifications or I will try a clean reinstall of 2.1.6.

Thanks,

• Staff

OK, thanks!

Sorry for the redundant reporting.

FURTHER UPDATE:

I just noticed that "Show Notification after Successful Update" settings are NOT sticking after the on-top upgrade from 2.1.4 to 2.1.6.

I just cold-booted my main desktop to find that the setting was once again disabled, even though I had set it to enabled a few days ago when I upgraded.

So, in addition to reverting to "disabled", it appears that enabling it is not honored after a system reboot.

It reverts to "disabled" again, at least in the GUI (I haven't run mbam-check to see what the log shows and I haven't seen a db update, yet, during this Windows user session).

I guess I will either live without the notifications or I will try a clean reinstall of 2.1.6.

Thanks,

Hi daledoc,

I don't think you need to go so far as to do an mbam-clean.  Try removing the existing scheduled update, and add a new one.

• 3 weeks later...

My not up for renewal till Oct, 3-pc's anti-malware will not update as of the 14th May?

I just double checked and I thought it said version 2.1.5 but it is actually 2.1.6.1022

It warns me it is out of date but it will not update I press Fix Now or update and nothing happens.

I put in a support request via your email form on your site (that has a link for the forum that has two slashes at the end so it gives a page not found btw - I detailed that on your FB page you might want to fix that auto-responder email - be interesting to see if you suddenly get more forum members when it's fixed!)

Anyway is this update the reason my anti-malware has suddenly stopped working?

If so what can I do to fix it?

I might mention that I updated windows yesterday (30 updates) I have windows 7 Ultimate.

Tina

Hello and :welcome: , tina:

The current program version is indeed 2.1.6.1022.
The problem you describe is one with database updating.

We can't really help here in this particular news thread (it does not permit attachments).

Please start a NEW, SEPARATE forum topic in the MBAM Help section using this clickable >> cjfj.png button.
The staff and experts will be able to more easily assist you there.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

To be sure (due to my anxiety and paranoia)... Tonight I went in MBAM free for the regular scanning. It stated a new version of MBAM was available and I downloaded it. The new version has a smiley face on the dash toward the left and the title of the program is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home (Free) 2.1.6.1022. Essentially, the look of the interface has changed. This is the intended update, correct?

Hi:

To be sure (due to my anxiety and paranoia)... Tonight I went in MBAM free for the regular scanning. It stated a new version of MBAM was available and I downloaded it. The new version has a smiley face on the dash toward the left and the title of the program is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home (Free) 2.1.6.1022. Essentially, the look of the interface has changed. This is the intended update, correct?

Yes, the GUI was significantly changed for version 2.1

No need to worry

More info about v2.1.6 HERE
User Guide ONLINE
User Guide PDF
FAQ: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Thank you,

• 1 month later...

Very satisfied user here. Been using 2.1.8 for a while, and runs very stable in all regards. Only thorn in the eye is of course being unable to currently hide account details (stopping me from updating to any of the recent versions on the rest of my machines), but I'm very happy with all the new features added. Malwarebytes actually implemented all the features they said they were going to. Amazing that such companies still exist. ;)

• Root Admin

As this is an old topic now and 2.18 has been released I'm going to go ahead and close this topic now so that new users are not confused and think this is the latest version.

Please check the following link for the latest version.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/3283-malwarebytes-anti-malware-history-updates/?view=getlastpost

Thank you everyone for all the help, advice, reports, well wishes, etc. greatly appreciated.

Ron