windows defender

WD does offer some useful system monitoring capabilities, especially if you join SpyNet as contributing member (can't remember the name of the user level). This has the effect of turning WD to lightweight HIPS. Besides that it does offer background protection, something very few free antispyware offer.

Besides that, its load on modern system should be negligible.

WD does offer some useful system monitoring capabilities, especially if you join SpyNet as contributing member (can't remember the name of the user level). This has the effect of turning WD to lightweight HIPS. Besides that it does offer background protection, something very few free antispyware offer.

Besides that, its load on modern system should be negligible.

do you think it's worth it to just get something like ad-aware and disable defender since I don't use explorer?

• Root Admin
is there a better option

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware :P

You should have an Anti-Virus product like Avira or Avast or NOD32, etc. and add a product like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to assist in detecting and preventing stuff from getting on the box in the first place.

I like Layered Protection

avast! anti virus

Finjan SecureBrowsing

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Windows Defender updated daily from its portal

WinPatrol Security Monitor

Here's what I use (see signature below). I don't use TeaTimer. Kaspersky, MBAM, SAS, Windows Defender and Vista Firewall Control all run in realtime and it's very light on resources.

is there a way you can tell if they are interfering with one and other

Yes, just by monitoring CPU usage of their processes and also by downloading test files like Eicar and Spycar to see what happens when they get detected. I've done thorough testing with this configuration and have had no conflicts or issues, although most people would say my setup is probably overkill.

Yes, just by monitoring CPU usage of their processes and also by downloading test files like Eicar and Spycar to see what happens when they get detected. I've done thorough testing with this configuration and have had no conflicts or issues, although most people would say my setup is probably overkill.

so if the cpu usage is high thats a bad thing, they are intersecting?

The possibility of a conflict remains to be seen with me. In 2007 Trend Micro Internet Security said, you have to remove Windows Defender. I'm still using the TM program 2009. So I pretty much forgot about Windows Defender ... but I can get away with using the monthly Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool ...

just my 2 cents.

EDIT: which ms should have something for us to patch up tuesday