Gramblr false positive

gramblr

We launched a new version of Gramblr with a scheduler and auto-updater. Some of its installation files and keys are now listed in Malwarebytes, causing application errors for users.

Trojan.Downloader, C:\Program Files\Gramblr\gramblr.exe, 7132, , [13e678e10c7fc2743dd9e0b00df46e92]
Trojan.Downloader, HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\gramblrclient, , [13e678e10c7fc2743dd9e0b00df46e92], 
Trojan.Downloader, HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\UNINSTALL\Gramblr, , [13e678e10c7fc2743dd9e0b00df46e92], 
Trojan.Downloader, C:\Program Files\Gramblr\gramblr.exe, , [13e678e10c7fc2743dd9e0b00df46e92], 

You will find the executable attached.

Thanks for your help

gramblr.zip

• 8 months later...

mieki, can you comment if this program is actually safe? 

I have used Gramblr with the understanding that it's a software for uploading to Instagram. To use the program, you launch it. There is no functional need to have it doing anything while it is not being used. 

I am uncomfortable with the way this program metastasize through my computer and planting a root kit that starts up with Windows and refuse to stay closed. When i close it in task manager, it immediately restarts and it does not show up in startup items.  

• Staff

It will restart because it runs as a service & most likely the service is configured to restart if it is forcibly stopped, crashes or otherwise fails for some reason. The service is likely there to just make the connection faster to do the upload(s), check for updates, etc.

Terms & conditions on this page, under "software installation" state it will install a Windows service.

http://gramblr.com/uploader/terms.html

You can stop the service by running services.msc, hilighting " Windows Connectivity Manager for Gramblr " then clicking stop service. (not sure how well the app will work by doing this)