Bitdefender and MBAM issues

I really don't know as I'm not involved in malware/anti-malware development.

I'd either turn off the MalwareBytes Pro version (that'll shut off the memory resident component) or I'd remove BitDefender.

You can run MalwareBytes scans on demand - and this'll avoid the BSOD's for now.

Then, once BitDefender 2016 is certified, you can go back to your usual setup.

Here I chose to keep MBAM running with Real-Time Protection.

I uninstalled BD 2016 and installed BD 2015.

So far, no more BSOD's

When things get stable with the combo BD 2016 + MBAM, I will give a second try on BD 2016.

PS. @rdorian Actually im tracking (subscribed to) your 2 threads (here and on MBAM forums). Very good job gathering all the information! :)

• 3 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 1:36 PM, crisoliv said:

Since yesterday I am running MBAM (2.2.1.1043) + BIS 2016 (20.0.26.1418) under Win10 PRO (10586.164), So far no BSOD yet. I will post here if i have a BoSD.

Hi Crisoliv,

Congratulations.  I would just add a tip, about "trust settings".

In order for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Bitdefender  to work together instead of conflicting, you ought to adjust both applications. 

How to configure Bitdefender  to exclude Malwarebytes files -
Step 1. Open Bitdefender
Step 2. Click on "Protection"
Step 3. Click on the little white cog icon beside the "Antivirus" options
Step 4. Go to "Exclusions"
Step 5. Turn on "Exclusions for files" by pressing the dark square
Step 6. Click on "Excluded files and folders"
Step 7. Click "Add" and select "Browse"
Step 8. Navigate to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware' or 'C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware', select desired folder and click "OK"
Step 9. Make sure that the option "Both" is checked and select "Add"
Step 10. Click "OK"
Step 11. Reboot your computer <--Very Important!

How to add your Bitdefender  folder to Malwarebytes "Malware Exclusions" list -
Step 1. Open the Malwarebytes application
Step 2. Click on "Settings"
Step 3. Click "Malware Exclusions" in the left column
Step 4. Click on "Add Folder"
Step 5. Navigate to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\'  or  'C:\Program Files\'
Step 6. Click once on "Bitdefender" folder to highlight it
Step 7. Click on "Select Folder"
Step 8. Close Malwarebytes
Step 9. Reboot your computer <--Very Important!

Cheers.

I am a staunch Win 7 Pro user - avoiding Windows 10 like the plague - but BD 2016 and the latest MalwareBytes anti-malware are incompatible.  After a marathon tech support session with Microsoft over repeated BSOD "bad_pool_header" errors, they used a cool tool from www.resplendence.com called "who Crashed" which immediately identified the culprit as MBAM in the last 30 crashes of my system.  I really liked MBAM, but also liked what BD 2016 does for me overall, so I uninstalled MBAM for the time being, until they figure out how to make the two apps compatible.  Still running MBAE with BD 2016, and no problems at all with that.  I read the note above that attempts to tell BD and MBAM to play nice - but that was written for the WIN 10 users - i wonder if that is also true of those of us who prefer Win 7.

:welcome:

Hi, LD.   Which specific 2016 version do you have ?  That is the first thing I am curious about.  I think Bitdefender has 3 different 2016 suites.  ( technically 4 if one counts BD Total Security Multi-Device 2016 ).   So I would like to know just which one is on your rig.

BD Antivirus Plus 2016   { this has a anti-rasomware component, which I would imagine is a new feature. They do say it is new.}

BD Internet Security 2016  ( * )

BD Total Security 2016 ( * ) ,   BD Total Security Multi-Device 2016 ( * )

as far as the trust exclusions, they are basically the same regardless of Windows 7 or 10.

NOTE: the latter suites marked with * also have a Firewall and a anti-ransomware.   which to me, indicates the likelihood of having to insure that those 2 components are also insure to be listed as trusted exceptions.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

On 3/26/2016 at 0:21 PM, LP_Temple said:

..... I read the note above that attempts to tell BD and MBAM to play nice - but that was written for the WIN 10 users - i wonder if that is also true of those of us who prefer Win 7.

First, It does appear that the most recent versions of BitDefender have shifted where they have the GUI tabs for setting the "trust exclusions".  My bad for not catching that earlier.

I would like to help you if possible.  I need to know whether your Windows is 32-bit or 64-bit.  It does not matter whether you have Windows 7 or Windows 10.

Actually I forgot to tell that I'm no longer running Bitdefender. Since March, 19th, I am running the new (old) Norton Security with MBAM.

I have to say that I am very happy about this change: 1. So far, no more BSoDs at all. 2. Norton consumes away lower computer resources than Bitdefender.

Maybe I am losing some protection in not running Bitdefender, but I trust on Norton + MBAM (+ common sense) combo!

About the Vulnerability Scan from Bitdefender, you can replace that using Secunia.

That's it. Thank you guys for all support!

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2016 at 10:56 PM, Maurice Naggar said:

Ok.  You re welcome.  Just as information for the benefit of other readers, I have been running both Premium Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as well as BitDefender Total Security 2016 on one of my rigs for a few days now.  No crashes at all.

Just Curious,

1. Do u still Have crash problem?

2. Are these your last settings? :

How to configure Bitdefender  to exclude Malwarebytes files -
Step 1. Open Bitdefender
Step 2. Click on "Protection"
Step 3. Click on the little white cog icon beside the "Antivirus" options
Step 4. Go to "Exclusions"
Step 5. Turn on "Exclusions for files" by pressing the dark square
Step 6. Click on "Excluded files and folders"
Step 7. Click "Add" and select "Browse"
Step 8. Navigate to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware' or 'C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware', select desired folder and click "OK"
Step 9. Make sure that the option "Both" is checked and select "Add"
Step 10. Click "OK"
Step 11. Reboot your computer <--Very Important!

How to add your Bitdefender  folder to Malwarebytes "Malware Exclusions" list -
Step 1. Open the Malwarebytes application
Step 2. Click on "Settings"
Step 3. Click "Malware Exclusions" in the left column
Step 4. Click on "Add Folder"
Step 5. Navigate to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\'  or  'C:\Program Files\'
Step 6. Click once on "Bitdefender" folder to highlight it
Step 7. Click on "Select Folder"
Step 8. Close Malwarebytes
Step 9. Reboot your computer <--Very Important!

No crashes whatever.   Yes, those setting for Trust exclusions are good.

Another customer advised some other adjustments, which I have also adopted.

Click the Modules button on the main screen of BitDefender.
This takes you to the Protection tab.  Click the gear-icon for *Antivirus*.
You will have a new window with 3 tabs named across the top.  Click the one marked *Exclusions*
Next click the blue line marked *Excluded processes*

You ought to see about having the EXE files of Malwarebytes listed there and showing action of *Allow*.
Use the attached image as a guide.  You would need to ADD each EXE one at a time.     When done press Close.

For 64 bit versions of Windows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

Once that is done, I would suggest that you Reboot the machine.

BD_av_excludes.png

Ok.  You re welcome.  Just as information for the benefit of other readers, I have been running both Premium Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as well as BitDefender Total Security 2016 on one of my rigs for a few days now.  No crashes at all.

Ok I got it, Really thanks 4 your advice

ok, my bit defender has updated already. FYI : Two months ago, I have BSOD problem so i decided to uninstall MBAM and the problem was gone. Now, i really need to install MBAM and Bit Defender Total Security 2016 together to protect my fresh install system.

Thank U brother