BSoD because of "mwac.sys" or "Malwarebytes Web Access Control"

I've gotten blue screens "BAD_POOL_HEADER" and sometimes even "BAD_POOL_CALLER" (I don't know the difference). I always brushed them aside as they only happened once every month, randomly. I looked up how to solve this and have not found any recent solutions, just people saying they will inform the devs.

PC Specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9w83Vn

I have fully updated drivers, and I just updated the BIOS too.

In the attached image, you can see the WhoCrashed log. In the screenshot, two of the 3 crashes displayed have bad pool header errors. The other one has a bad pool caller error. All of them say the error is from Malware bytes web access control is at fault. I love Malware bytes. I don't want to stop using it, but these blue screens are unbearable.

I manually updated Malware bytes at first because I thought that was the problem, however blue screens happen more frequently now. It is worth mentioning that it seems I have blue screens when using my main login account (standard user), rather than me admin accound (admin-user). I do this for security reasons, such as programs not downloading files without my permission (admin password).

Thank you so much in advance,

-Jerry

whocrashed snip.PNG

:welcome:

Hi JerrBear,

Each machine has its own unique configuration and a unique mix of apps, etc.  Before we start, we do need diagnostic reports. Those will have no personal information.  Just attach them to the post, as we go along.  The reports will have information that will help to get this resolved.

please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2016 at 6:12 AM, Maurice Naggar said:

Hello JerrBear,

Are you still needing help ?

Yes, it's just that it's been busy with my personal life and all. I disabled web protection so I don't get BSOD and I forgot all about it. I will try PM you the files.

You appear to be running Windows with a login of a limited user.  Please logoff from that,  You need to be logged in with the Admin account.

For the tasks that need to be done, you must be running Windows with a login that has administrator-level access rights.  Please do that.

1 hour ago, Maurice Naggar said:

You appear to be running Windows with a login of a limited user.  Please logoff from that,  You need to be logged in with the Admin account.

For the tasks that need to be done, you must be running Windows with a login that has administrator-level access rights.  Please do that.

Done. Here they are!

Addition.txt

CheckResults.txt

FRST.txt

There is a lot of work to be done and we need to do it in parts.  The very first thing is that you must insure to be logged in with the Admin account.

If for some reason you cannot do that, please Stop and tell me about that !

There is a huge amount of BitDefender re-install files from both March & April, apparently from repeated install attempts or perhaps failed installs.

In addition, the Windows Windows Management Instrumentation is not on & it has to be in order for things to work smoothly.

And these last parts will involve a fix run in the next pass.  The first pass here is to uninstall both BitDefender and also Malwarebytes M B A M.

( re-installs will be done later).   This pass is to do the uninstalls.

1. Fully uninstall Bitdefender 2016 Total Security via the Program and Features ( installed programs) in Control Panel.
You can press and hold the Windows-key + tap *R* key to get the RUN option.
then type in

appwiz.cpl

and tap Enter. Locate *Bitdefender* in the list.  Click the line to select it. Then select Uninstall.
Be sure it finishes the uninstall.

2. Then download and run the following Bitdefender removal tool

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/Bitdefender_2016_UninstallTool.exe

3. Then reboot the computer. Then follow the directions below to do a clean removal of MBAM but do not reinstall just yet.

link fo "MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x"

4. After you've removed MBAM using those directions then run the following temp file cleaner.

Please Run this tool to clear temporary files:
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune, saving it to your desktop.
"From-this-link-page"

It is used to cleanout temporary files & temp areas used by internet browsers.
Start "ATF-Cleaner.exe" to run the program.

Under *Main* choose: **Select All**

Click the **Empty Selected** button.

If you use Firefox browser, do this also:
Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All

Click the Empty Selected button.

NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

If you use Opera browser, do this also:
Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All

Click the Empty Selected button.

NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Restart the computer one more time.   At this point, the Windows 10 Windows Defender should be on.  But please, NO web surfing , loose web browsing, nor online shopping.

There is more to follow and I will post that later.   I will need t know that you managed to do this section.   Thanks.

This is part # 2.   Please be sure you finished the preceding part before this.

I am sending a Fix script which is going to be used by the FRST64 tool. They will both work together as a pair.  You need to be the files on the DOWNLOADS folder

Please SAVE the FIXLIST.zip  that is attached ( as is) in the same general location as where you have FRST64    ( DOWNLOADS )

Then extract the content of that zip file also to the Downloads folder.

If you are unsure how to extract the contents of the .zip folder, please see this tutorial from Microsoft:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compress-uncompress-files-zip-files

*NOTE*: Both FRST64.exe  and the fixlist.txt must be in the same location or the fix will not work.

Double click FRST64 to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log (*Fixlog.txt*) in the same location from where it was run. Please attach the *Fixlog.txt* in your reply.

Fixlist.zip

This is part # 3.  Do this after having finished the prior two procedures.  This here involves doing new Installs for BitDefender and also Malwarebytes.

reinstall Bitdefender 2016 Total Security, check for updates. Then reboot the computer one more time now.

At this point go ahead and reinstall MBAM again and update it .

You can download the latest version from this link

Save the setup first, to your disc. After that, do a right-click on the setup-exe file and select RUN as Administrator and reply YES to allow it to proceed.

Be sure to do one Update run in our program to get the latest database updates.  Then also Restart Windows so that it is in a new session after all this.