all-in-one malwarebytes Products Removal tool !

I have a new suggestion ! It is a new all-in-one malwarebytes Products Removal tool, instead of having to have so many separate tools for a software removal tool ! just Kaspersky do ! :blush:

I am with this :D hope we get it soon ! :D

and we’d like to be a GUI too ! almost I forget  D : :D:P

Edited by mrdodrop
more was added

4 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Well users can certainly request or vote on it but we've seen very little interest is such a tool. All of our products do a reasonably good job on removing themselves to the point that such a tool isn't typically requested.

thank you for your reply admin ! yeah Agree with you here ! and we can make it a vote if you ready ! :)

There is something to be said for an uninstaller that is compliant with uninstall/repair methods that most other programs use.

Control Panel > Programs & Features > (select it) > (do it)

Would end up being a lot fewer support calls and forum posts too.

So basically, a .msi installer for Malwarebytes products, instead of an executable (.exe)? If I'm not mistaken, .msi installers have the repair option (so when you right-click on the program in the list of installed programs, you can select "Modify" or "Repair").

• Root Admin

Not all MSI have the ability. During creation it needs to be configured for such. As said previously, just don't see the need. Look around, do some google searches. Do you see users posting looking for a manual removal tool for multiple MBAM products at one time?

4 hours ago, Aura said:

Personally I don't. I don't see the need in such a tool, however the idea of using .msi installers for Malwarebytes programs (ones that allow a repair) is interesting.

My main concern with MSIs is their dependency on the Windows Installer service.  If it's broken or disabled (by malware or as it is by default in Safe Mode for example) then users would have trouble installing (or uninstalling, for that matter) the software.  That's one reason I really like our current installation files which use InnoSetup as it's fairly simple, universal and can even be extracted manually via InnoUnp if you've got a copy of it should you desire to analyze the installation package's contents prior to actually installing the software or if you simply need to grab one of the files should you be attempting to repair a broken installation by hand for any reason.  It also has fairly decent command line support (as do MSIs, of course).

Which is why you cannot uninstall programs relying on MSI in Safe Mode, since the Windows Installer service is disabled (and I'm pretty sure it cannot be enabled). In that case, the users would have to rely on the mbam-cleanup.exe tool and Chameleon (for a uninstall/reinstall + scan in situations where Malwarebytes is corrupt, needs to be uninstalled/reinstalled and the Windows Installer service isn't running).

There is actually a registry modification which can be made to enable the Windows Installer service in Safe Mode so that MSIs may be run, but by default of course it does not run in Safe Mode.  Our current mbam-clean tool actually does execute our uninstaller at the beginning of the cleanup process, it simply also includes additional steps to ensure everything gets removed and also deletes some items which would otherwise be left behind by the normal installer (such as license info, logs etc. which are left behind deliberately normally in case the user intends to reinstall the software later or if they're uninstalling the current version in order to install a new version afterwards as some prefer to).

If we were to make such a universal uninstall tool for all of our software then it would be my preference that it force the user to choose (via checkboxes in a UI) which software they wish to remove that way it can't simply be scripted to run by a piece of malware or malicious hacker via CLI/scripting to remove all of our software from a user's system, though personally I'd rather play it safe and simply have a separate cleanup tool for each product should users of each product feel they need one.

mbam-clean.exe (which previously was actually simply mbam-clean.bat, a file that I had a hand in writing myself) was created specifically because we had instances where there were some issues with the software leaving files behind that it would normally remove (such as drivers and/or executables) or one of the software's registry settings would be corrupted/misconfigured causing problems when attempting to repair them via normal means of uninstalling/rebooting/reinstalling the software so the clean tool became necessary to manually remove all traces of the product from the system so that we could be sure everything was cleaned up prior to attempting to get the software working again by reinstalling it fresh.  It really didn't have anything to do with a desire to deliberately remove all traces of our product from a user's system (with the exception of removing the license key of course for the sake of migration of a license prior to us having an option to deactivate the license built into the product itself) for the sake of neatness or anything like that.  It really was designed as a repair tool for our product which is why I believe we have not yet created any similar tools for our other products/software as far as I know (because no issue has emerged which has required it, at least not to my knowledge).

On 4/7/2016 at 9:03 PM, gonzo said:

There is something to be said for an uninstaller that is compliant with uninstall/repair methods that most other programs use.

Control Panel > Programs & Features > (select it) > (do it)

Would end up being a lot fewer support calls and forum posts too.

this a good methods for most of users ! but how of they having a problem to use this way to uninstall a program with getting an error while they trying to do so ? I think that’s why we have Mbam cleanup tool D- :D so how we can to know which of registry-key and program track begin removal ? this tool ain’t show which one’s for program begin cleanup ?

The mbam-clean.exe isn't supposed to show you what it removes, simply remove all remnants of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on your system so you can install it cleanly after. Like I said in another thread, if you don't see Malwarebytes Anti-Malware listed in the Control Panel, and don't want to use clean-mbam.exe (for whatever reason), you can always go in the Malwarebytes folder in Program Files (x86) and launch unins000.exe from there.

25 minutes ago, Aura said:

The mbam-clean.exe isn't supposed to show you what it removes, simply remove all remnants of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on your system so you can install it cleanly after. Like I said in another thread, if you don't see Malwarebytes Anti-Malware listed in the Control Panel, and don't want to use clean-mbam.exe (for whatever reason), you can always go in the Malwarebytes folder in Program Files (x86) and launch unins000.exe from there.

I will try this out when it happen next time ! thx