Upgrading to 2 PC's

So I purchased a 1 year copy of MWB a couple weeks ago. Well turns out my in-laws wanted a new PC so I built them a new one so they could get rid of their old virus-ridden computer. With that in mind I wanted to put MWB premium on their new PC. Is it possible to instead of buying a completely separate key for them, to upgrade mine to work on two PC's instead?

Hello and :welcome:, @RugerX:

7 minutes ago, RugerX said:

Is it possible to instead of buying a completely separate key for them, to upgrade mine to work on two PC's instead?

No, I'm afraid not.

If you have a 1-PC license (either lifetime or subscription) it can be legally activated on only 1 system at a time.
A 1-PC license is always a 1-PC license.

You will need a new license for your in-laws' PC.

Sale of "up to 3 PCs" subscription licenses via the Malwarebytes online store ended in September 2015.  However, there *might* be a few legitimate subscription licenses available at selected online or brick/mortar stores.  See this thread for details.  Having said that: "buyer beware" for a deal that sounds too good to be true.

If you purchase the new license through the Malwarebytes online store, there are discounts for multiple licenses purchased at the same transaction, and there is an option to buy a 2-year subscription, to lock in the current price.

Hope this helps,

Addendum/clarification:

Theoretically, if you can locate a valid/legal, "up to 3 PCs" license, another option would be to allow YOUR license to expire, and to replace it on your computer with one of the 3 activations on the new "up to 3 PCs" license.  You could use another activation on your in-laws' computer.  And you would still have 1 activation left for another system in the same household.

(Technically, the computers are supposed to be in the "same household", but I presume your situation would meet that requirement.)

Just another thought....

5 minutes ago, daledoc1 said:

Addendum/clarification:

Theoretically, if you can locate a valid/legal, "up to 3 PCs" license, another option would be to allow YOUR license to expire, and to replace it on your computer with one of the 3 activations on the new "up to 3 PCs" license.  You could use another activation on your in-laws' computer.  And you would still have 1 activation left for another system in the same household.

(Technically, the computers are supposed to be in the "same household", but I presume your situation would meet that requirement.)

Just another thought....

If I can find a "up to 3 PCs" license that would be optimal, but out of curiosity, would it be possible to refund my 10 day old license (purchased through MWB site) and then purchase a 2 PC license, again from MWB site?

8 minutes ago, RugerX said:

If I can find a "up to 3 PCs" license that would be optimal,

Just be careful.  There are some legit subscription, "up to 3 PCs" licenses available both online and at certain brick/mortar vendors. If you do purchase from these sellers, there may be a "No Return" policy and you will have limited/no recourse, if license problems develop.  Whatever you do, do NOT buy on ebay. And do not buy any multi-PC, "lifetime" license, as that sort of license was NEVER available legally.

It may be safer to purchase two separate, 1-PC subscription licenses (for 1 or 2 years each) from the Malwarebytes online store -- there is a discount for multiple licenses purchased at the same transaction.

8 minutes ago, RugerX said:

would it be possible to refund my 10 day old license (purchased through MWB site) and then purchase a 2 PC license, again from MWB site?

Yes, Malwarebytes offers a 30-day return policy, if you purchased MBAM from the Malwarebytes online store.
We cannot process that here in the forum.
I suggest that you please contact the Help Desk and provide your transaction details; or, if you have a confirmation email from the transaction, there may be refund details in that email.

Hope this helps,

Edited by daledoc1
clarify

5 minutes ago, daledoc1 said:

Yes, Malwarebytes offers a 30-day return policy, if you purchased MBAM from the Malwarebytes online store.
We cannot process that here in the forum.
I suggest that you please contact the Help Desk and provide your transaction details; or, if you have a confirmation email from the transaction, there may be refund details in that email.

Hope this helps,

Yes, oddly enough, MBAM support returned my emails from yesterday with this suggestion as well, which works perfectly for me and I will purchase a 2 or 3 PC subscription.

Thanks again!

Edited by RugerX

Yes, our posts were crossing in cyberspace.:D

Technically speaking, there is no such thing as a "2 PC" or "3 PC" license.
It's really a volume discount for multiple, 1-PC licenses, WHEN purchased directly from the Malwarebytes online store.
I guess it's a semantic thing.
I just don't want anyone reading this thread later to ask about a "2-PC license" or a "3-PC license" for MBAM.

It is a bit confusing, as the licensing model for MBAM Home version has changed several times over the years.

In any event, it sounds as if you are on your way to getting things all settled.:)

Thank you again,

2016-07-25_17-37-32.png

Edited by daledoc1
clarify?

33 minutes ago, daledoc1 said:

Yes, our posts were crossing in cyberspace.:D

Technically speaking, there is no such thing as a "2 PC" or "3 PC" license.
It's really a volume discount for multiple, 1-PC licenses, WHEN purchased directly from the Malwarebytes online store.
I guess it's a semantic thing.
I just don't want anyone reading this thread later to ask about a "2-PC license" or a "3-PC license" for MBAM.

It is a bit confusing, as the licensing model for MBAM Home version has changed several times over the years.

In any event, it sounds as if you are on your way to getting things all settled.:)

Thank you again,

Yeah I know, I meant to say volume discount not a 3 PC subscription key, thanks for clarifying.

So I actually took your suggestion as well and started looking online for retail copies of the old 3PC/1YRs subscription MBAM. Well turns out my local Staples had three left in stock so I picked one up a few minutes ago (as you can tell, I am in a rush as I need to get this PC done by EOD). Looking inside the box I have an ID and a Key; so if I use one on mine and another one on my in-laws' PC, can I use the third one to renew mine for a second year or does it have to go on a separate PC?

Thanks.

The "up to 3 PC" activations run simultaneously, not consecutively.
So, no, you cannot save the 3rd activation for a second year on your computer.

AFAIK, the clock begins when the license is activated on the first system.  At least that is how most other security software vendors manage their multi-system licenses.
And, to adhere to the EULA, all 3 systems need to be in the "same household".

If you want a 2-year subscription, I think the only place to get that legally is probably via the Malwarebytes online store.  I could be wrong, but I do not think there are any 1-PC or "up to 3 PC" licenses for 2 years available via retail.

More info about v2.2.1 HERE; User Guide ONLINE; User Guide PDF; FAQ: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Thanks again,

7 minutes ago, daledoc1 said:

The "up to 3 PC" activations run simultaneously, not consecutively.
So, no, you cannot save the 3rd activation for a second year on your computer.

AFAIK, the clock begins when the license is activated on the first system.  At least that is how most other security software vendors manage their multi-system licenses.
And, to adhere to the EULA, all 3 systems need to be in the "same household".

If you want a 2-year subscription, I think the only place to get that legally is probably via the Malwarebytes online store.  I could be wrong, but I do not think there are any 1-PC or "up to 3 PC" licenses for 2 years available via retail.

More info about v2.2.1 HERE; User Guide ONLINE; User Guide PDF; FAQ: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Thanks again,

Ah that makes sense, running consecutively would be too good to be true.

I guess my parents are getting a free license!