Trotux Malware

Hello and :welcome:

I will be guiding you as we go forward. I would like to ask that you always attach any report or file I ask for, from time to time. Just a regular attachment, just like you did already.

• Make sure you're subscribed to this topic:
  • Click on the Follow This Topic Button (at the top right of this page), make sure that the Receive notification box is checked and that it is set to Instantly
  • Removing malware can be unpredictable...It is unlikely but things can go very wrong! Please make sure you Backup all files that cannot be replaced if something were to happen. You can copy them to a CD/DVD, external drive or a pen drive
  • Please don't run any other scans, download, install or uninstall any programs unless requested by me while I'm working with you.
  • The removal of malware is not instantaneous, please be patient. Often we are also on a different Time Zone.
  • Perform everything in the correct order. Sometimes one step requires the previous one.
  • If you have any problems while following my instructions, Stop there and tell me the exact nature of the issue.
  • Please enable your system to show hidden files: How to see hidden files in Windows
  • Please disable your antivirus while running any requested scanners so that they do not interfere with the scanners.
  • When we are done, I'll give you instructions on how to cleanup all the tools and logs
  • Please stick with me until I give you the "all clear" and Please don't waste my time by leaving before that.
  • Your topic will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

You have already run a bunch of tools: AdwCleaner, Malware Bytes and Hitman.   Please do not run any more.  Where is it you notice "Trotux"?

Kindly provide a copy of the latest scan from Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Click on the History tab > Application Logs button.
Double click on the scan log which shows the Date and time of the last SCAN performed. Please make sure the word SCAN is shown and also that you grab the very latest Date. the most recent Scan run.
You can double click the line to get it on screen. Then use the menu at bottom of the window.

Click the EXPORT button at the bottom left.
Click TEXT file

Be very aware as to what folder and what NAME you give this report.  You have to make a note so you can send it.

Then attach that file with your next reply.

Trotux was only being used within a web browser. It basically took over some applications (Meaning when i tried launching Authy for example, it opened the web browser for Trotux). It basically looked like a modified Chrome browser, stripped all my plugins. Ever since all my scans, it hasn't returned and I've had Chrome running normally.

I've attached before and after scans. The before is when I had the Malware, after is after I had run all the tools.

Before-Scan.txt

After-Scan.txt

That has been tagged as PUP.Optional.Trotux  by our software.
P U P are potentially unwanted add-ons.  Those are not in the class of malicious malware.  These are more like pests.  Unwanted pests.

The "trotux"  was a website address that kept coming up on your Mozilla Firefox browser.
The pest was removed as shown on your last scan report.

This pest should now be gone. Let me make these following suggestions so that you have some added browser safety.
Go into the Options ( settings) of Internet Explorer  ( and any other web browser you have).
Make sure that the POPUP blocker is ON.
Set the option on for rejecting (decline) 3rd-party cookies.

And in addition to all that:
Use a good browser extension ( add on) ad blocker.  If your pc has no ad blocker add-on for your browser(s), I would suggest uBlock Origin.
For Mozilla Firefox, use the Mozilla page at this link
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/ublock-origin/

For Google Chrome, see
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm

For Internet Explorer browser:
https://adblockplus.org/en/internet-explorer

ALSO this too
To help totally block these types of  "popups" I would recommend to only use Firefox browser that also has the addon for NoScript Suite Lite.
and just only use that when surfing the web.
Tips and how to's for Noscript suite are on this page link
http://mybrowseraddon.com/noscript-lite.html

We have a free version Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) that protects against exploit attacks in your browsers and Java, and a paid version that also protects additional applications such as MS Office.
https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbae_current/

I would recommend you install the Anti-Exploit in free use mode.   ( that is, if you do not have it from before).

Glad we could help. :)If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!