MWB stuck scanning fthsvc.dll

HI,

I have reset my daughter's ACER Win7 laptop back to factory defaults following a ransomware attack.  I have installed MWB and when I run the threat scan it gets stuck on C:\WINDOWS\SYSTM32\fthsvc.dll  I scanned 45,556 objects in around 45mins but has now been at this stae for over an hour (now 01:45:12 and counting).

How do I get MWB to complete the scan, can I safely remove fthsvc.dll.  Should I re-instal MWB?

Kind regards

Martin

ACER i5-2410M 2.3GHZ, turbo Boost to 2.9GHz, Intel HD graphics car 3000, 1760Mb, 6GB DDR3 memory, 750GB HDD

Hello and welcome::)

I would abort the scan for now.

There may be corrupt files, bad disk blocks or malware remnants preventing the scan from completing.

For further assistance, I suggest that you please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
It explains the options for free, expert help >>AND<< the suggested, preliminary steps to expedite the process.
A malware analyst will assist you with looking into your issue - the helper will guide you through scanning, cleanup and repair.
The helper will also assist you with getting MBAM up and running.

Thank you,

Many thanks daledoc1,

I got the computer up and running at 2:30 Sunday morning!  I cleaned up as much as possible then did a full factory reset and have reinstalled just the basic office software that she needs.

I have a file shredder, on my two computers is there something similar that could be recommended to go through my daughters computer to shred any malicious files.  I just am worried that there might be something lurking ion the back-ground that she might invoke.  Also, when I got her email working Outlook downloaded nearly 2000 emails since 20th January (the date of the attack) most of these were spam and I assume a significant number malicious.  She doesn't want to change her email address if possible as she has loads of contacts. I use a program 'Ma******er' to preview all my emails and reject suspects (not sure if I am allowed to mention other software) can you recommend a similar software?

Thank you again for your help, panic over, most important files were backed up so no huge damage done but a valuable lesson learned!

M

Hi,

Thanks for the update.  It sounds as if you have made good progress.

5 minutes ago, Riftvalley said:

is there something similar that could be recommended to go through my daughters computer to shred any malicious files.  I just am worried that there might be something lurking ion the back-ground that she might invoke.

I suggest having a read of this pinned topic and then heading over to the malware removal area of the forum.  The helpers there can assist you with any needed scanning and cleanup.  They can likewise assist with selecting counter-measures to harden the system against further attack.  The help is free and will only cost you a bit of your time.

6 minutes ago, Riftvalley said:

I use a program 'Ma******er' to preview all my emails and reject suspects (not sure if I am allowed to mention other software) can you recommend a similar software?

Yep, I have been a Mailwasher Pro fan since its beta days. I have lifetime licenses and cannot live without it.  I get precious little spam these days, but MWP does provide an extra layer of email safety and it permits me to preview/reply/forward all messages from all accounts in one dashboard.  IMHO there is nothing better out there.

Ultimately, however, no security application or collection of applications can protect 100% of computers from 100% of malware 100% of the time.  The computer part between the chair and the keyboard constitutes the most critical line of defense.;)  It's all about "safe hex".;)

Thanks again,