Windows 7 update KB3175443 failure

Hello Yoan,

I installed each of the 16 Important Updates that were present on the Control Panel > Windows Update window, In accordance with the directions you gave me this morning. I sent to you a screen shot of it.  Now, it says that Windows 10 upgrade is reserved, but no new updates are listed.

I don't understand your last comment about malware not causing this problem I'm having and that I wasn't infected in the first place. No I did't realize that.

Jeff

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Yoan,

OK startup to login, no messages popped up. Thank you much for 17 days of work. I have a number of questions, if you can answer for me, or advise me where to get the answers.  They are:

• MBAM is installed on my laptop. Is the Free Ed. ok for my use? How often should I manually run a scan?
  • What anti-virus program do you recommend I use?
  • What protection do you recommend for my Samsung S4 android phone?
  • A while ago you posted to me that you might help solve my USB-connected-not-recognized-by-Windows-problem. Please help.
  • Can I delete all the files produced by the programs you asked me to run, as well as the programs Microsoft Community asked me to run for fixing this problem?
  • Can I download FlashPlayer update?
  • Is Win 10 Upgrade really reserved still for me? Do you recommend I upgrade to Win 10?
  • In my post about 9 hours ago, (see my post), I got a message that my computer had a failure configuring updates and was reverting the changes. Attached are screenshots of failed updates and of updates available. Please advise.

Again, thanks much.

Jeff

Updates available 9-17-2016Doc1.docx

Failed Updates 9-17-2016 Doc1.docx

I'll be answering your questions in the order you've asked them.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free is a good Antimalware solution. If you use the free version, I would run a Threat Scan at least once a week, though you can run one every few days if you wish. However, I strongly suggest you to invest in a licence for it in order to obtain real-time protection and enhance your protection. It's really worth it. You never know what you can be hit with, and the damage it'll cost you could be worth more than investing in a Malwarebytes licence.

I'll get back to you on that one, I need to ask something to the Staff first.

Same as above, I'll get back to you on that one. Obviously, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mobile would be a good thing to have. Also, don't allow third-party apps (from outside the Google Play Store) to be installed, and always, always look at the permissions an app is asking for before installing it.

I can give you a hand with this issue once we're done here. I'll just ask you to create a new thread for it in the General Windows PC Help section below however, since this isn't a malware related issue.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/forum/6-general-windows-pc-help/

Yes, you can delete all the files and tools that were used during this clean-up. I'll make you run DelFix soon which will help get rid of those.

Which Flash Update are you talking about? I don't see it in the available updates you're showing me.

Even though the free upgrade offer ended on July 29th, it seems that Microsoft is still allowing users to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. I recommend upgrading to it since Windows 10 is newer and offers many enhancement, as well as additional security and protection features. When it comes to computing, you always want to be up-to-date in order to get the best protection possible.

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. Personally, unless the update keeps trying to install itself in a loop, or you really, really need to install that update, I don't touch an update that failed to install. It could be because a newer version of that update (replacement) was already installed or your system didn't need it.

Do not delete the pagefile.sys file, since it's a system file. It's what we call your pagefile. You can however manage it and reduce it size if needed. See the link below for more information.

http://www.howtogeek.com/126430/htg-explains-what-is-the-windows-page-file-and-should-you-disable-it/

This being said, if you have any Windows Update related issues in the future, you might want to take a look at Sysnative forums. It's the only forum which offers Windows Update Expertise (I also assist there).

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/

Though, you can also seek assistance for these kind of issues here, in the General Windows PC Help section.

Thanks Yoan, you have been a great help.

I will await your recommendation on the anti virus, and for my mobile device.  The Samsung rep at BestBuy is the person who suggested MBAM to me about a year ago for my laptop, but also said nothing is needed for my S4 phone. None on my phone doesn't make sense so that is why I asked you.

The FlashPlayer update is unknown to me.  I might get the notice again and I will ask your advise then. I used to get a popup about a scrip is busy, and seemed to slow the webpage refresh speed too.  See attached screenshot.  It happened for a long time only on this particular webpage shown in the screenshot (jsonline.com) attached until I uninstalled FlashPlayer. Is there some connection there?

If you assist there, I'll be sure to check out Sysnative.

Thanks,

Jeff

A script on this page may be busy Doc1.docx

Probably because JSOnline.com uses a lot of Flash content on their web and this could cause issue. Personally, I don't trust Flash content anymore since there's too many security risks (exploits) associated with it. I also use Google Chrome as my main web browser, which has a built-in Flash plug-in and I only enable it when I really need it. Otherwise, it's disabled.

Alright! Since your logs are clean and your Windows Update issue has been solved, I guess we are done with our clean-up here. We'll just run DelFix to delete the tools used and logs produced during the troubleshooting.

BWuhenj.pngDelFix
Follow the instructions below to download and execute DelFix.

• Download DelFix and move the executable to your Desktop;
  • Right-click on DelFix.exe and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator (for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 users);
  • Check the following options :
    • Activate UAC;
    • Remove disinfection tools;
    • Create registry backup;
    • Purge system restore;
    • Reset system settings;
  • Once all the options mentionned above are checked, click on Run;
  • After DelFix is done running, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

Qt25440.pngTips, tricks, advice and recommendations

Now it's time to give you some tips, tricks, advice and recommendations on how to protect your system and prevent you from being infected in the future. This is where I'll explain basic security measures that you should take to protect and harden your system, and also make sure it stays as safe and secure as possible against hackers and malware. You are free to ignore the recommendations listed below, although I obviously do not recommend it. If you have any questions about one of the points covered in the speech below, feel free to ask me your questions here directly so I can answer them and guide you.

Windows Updates

Keeping Windows up to date is one of the first steps in having a safe and secure system. The Security Updates that Windows receives are meant to fix exploits and flaws in it that makes it more secure and not exploitable by hackers. In order to do that, you should always install the Security Updates, known as "Important Updates" on your Windows system. These updates are released on the second Tuesday of every month, but some are also released before if they are emergency/critical Security Updates. Let's make sure that you have all your Important Updates and Recommended Updates installed and that your Windows Updates are set to be installed automatically.

Keeping your programs up-to-date

Like keeping Windows updated, keeping your installed programs up-to-date is another important step in having a safe and secure system. Outdated programs can be exploited by hackers and malware to infect a system and take it over. This is especially true today with the rise of Exploit Kits which is one of the biggest attack vectors to distribute malware. Therefore, you should always keep vulnerable programs like Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Shockwave Player, Java, Silverlight, etc. updated to their most recent version (even better, you don't have to install them if you don't use them). Programs like eLDnJfI.pngSecuniaPSI and dqVs5wj.pngHeimdal Free will scan your system for outdated programs, and help you identify them, as well as update them.

Antivirus, Antimalware, Firewall and Anti-Exploit/Ransomware

Having a decent security setup (led by an Antivirus) is the most crucial step to protect a system. These programs are a layer of defence that will prevent a system from being infected, or if it somehow ends up infected, help mitigate the infection and remediate it. Ideally, you should have on your system one Antivirus (never more than one installed at the time), one Antimalware (you can install multiple of these, assuming they do not conflict with each other and the other security programs installed), one Firewall and if you wish, one Anti-Exploit and/or Anti-Ransomware (since Ransomware are currently the most dangerous threat around and it can hit anywhere). Here are a few programs worth checking out if you don't have one yet.

Note: The programs listed below are all free to use or they have some sort of trial. Some of them have a paid version that provides more features, while a lot of other good programs only have a paid version but aren't listed there (such as Kaspersky and ESET Antivirus products).

Antivirus

Antimalware

Firewall
Starting in Windows Vista, the Windows Firewall greatly improved and will satisfy the needs of most users. If you do not have an Internet Suite Antivirus program (which includes a firewall) and you want to use a 3rd party firewall, you can consider the options below.

• 7p3JzTS.pngGlassWire - Has both a free and paid version (with different packages);
  • MQIMh6k.pngWindows Firewall Control - Gives you more control over your Windows Firewall;
  • 5RXGshU.pngTinyWall - Lightweight firewall implementing the Windows Firewall and giving you more control over it;

Anti-Exploit/Anti-Ransomware

Web Browsers and Web Browsing

Web Browsers could be considered as the closest door between a malware and your system. This is where most malware goes through to infect a system, and therefore it should be the program(s) you want to secure the most. There are two ways of going about it: hardening your web browser via extensions, and having good browsing habits. 

Hardening your web browser means to install extensions that will help it protect itself (and your system on the same occasion) against Exploit Kits, MiTM attacks, etc. but also you at the same time. Here are a few extensions that I recommend you to install.

• uBlock Origin: Efficient multi-purpose blocker that is lightweight on RAM and CPU usage (Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, called uBlock on Opera);
  • HTTPS Everywhere: Extension that converts your HTTP (unencrypted) requests to HTTPS (encrypted) ones (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera);
  • Web of Trust: Website reputation, rating and review extension that will help you quickly identify bad and suspicious sites from good ones (every web browsers);
  • NoScript: NoScript is a script blocker (Java, Flash, JavaScript, etc.) for Mozilla Firefox and Firefox-based browsers (Mozilla Firefox and Firefox-based web browsers);
  • uMatrix: For advanced users, a point and click matrix-like extensions that allow you to control requests done on a webpage (based on source, destination and type) (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera);
  • LastPass: Secure password manager allowing you to create, manage, and use passwords you save in your LastPass account (every web browser);

As for safe browsing habits, you can find tons of guides, tutorials, articles, etc. online that will highlight the basics you need to follow (only visit websites you trust, do not click on ads, do not download files from untrusted sources, use a password manager, always verify the URL of a website and make sure it's correctly typed, etc.), and even what you can do if you want to take it a step further (create a fake email address for spam emails, browse the web in a privacy mode, etc.). Here are a few:

As you can see, there are plenty of resources out there. Simply Googling "good browsing habits" or "safe browsing habits" should allow you to find a lot of them.

Other recommendations

Even if you follow every recommendation that I listed here, in the end, it's also your job to be careful when browsing the web and downloading files if you don't want to get infected. Therefore, if you use your brain (common sense) when browsing the web, downloading programs and files, etc., you have far less chances to get infected by a malware. If for example you're not sure if a website is legitimate or not, or if a file is safe to download and execute, or if a program looks "too good" to be free, I suggest you to avoid going to that website, downloading that file or using that program.

Here are a few guides, tutorials, articles, etc. that you could read in order to learn more about computer protection and security to improve your current computer protection setup but also improve your good web browsing and computer usage practices :

gRvSooB.pngThe End!

And that's it! Now that you know more about how to protect your computer and secure it, you're good to go back to your online activities, but in a safe and secure way! You are also free to stay on BleepingComputer and ask for help in different topics if you ever need to. Just make sure that you post your question/issue in the right section to get the best assistance possible. And if you ever get infected again (which I hope you wont!), you can always comeback in this section to get another checkup with one of our trained malware removal member.

Do you have any questions before I close this thread? :)

Hello Yoan,

Here is the Delfix results.  I noticed that some of the program files are still installed.

Thank you,

Jeff

# DelFix v1.013 - Logfile created 19/09/2016 at 23:34:06
# Updated 17/04/2016 by Xplode
# Username : Miller - ASUS-LAPTOP
# Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (64 bits)

~ Activating UAC ... OK

~ Removing disinfection tools ...

Deleted : C:\FRST
Deleted : C:\Users\Miller\Desktop\FRST-OlderVersion
Deleted : C:\Users\Miller\Desktop\Addition.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\Miller\Desktop\AdwCleaner.exe
Deleted : C:\Users\Miller\Desktop\Fixlog 9-10-16.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\Miller\Desktop\Fixlog 9-13-16  5pm.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\Miller\Desktop\Fixlog.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\Miller\Desktop\FRST.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\Miller\Desktop\FRST64.exe
Deleted : C:\Users\Miller\Desktop\GrantPerms64.zip
Deleted : C:\Users\Miller\Desktop\JRT.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\Miller\Desktop\rkill -terminated.com
Deleted : C:\Users\Miller\Desktop\Rkill log file - terminated.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\Miller\Desktop\rkill.exe -terminated.exe
Deleted : C:\Users\Miller\Desktop\Rkill.exe log file - terminated.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\Miller\Desktop\rkill.scr - terminated.scr
Deleted : C:\Users\Miller\Desktop\Rkill.scr log file - terminated.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\Miller\Desktop\TFC.exe
Deleted : C:\Users\Miller\Desktop\WiNlOgOn.exe - terminated.exe
Deleted : C:\Users\Miller\Desktop\WiNlOgOn.exe log file - terminated.txt
Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\OldTimer Tools

~ Creating registry backup ... OK

~ Cleaning system restore ...

New restore point created !

~ Resetting system settings ... OK

########## - EOF - ##########

Hello Yoan,

Files remaining are:

HitmanPro x64 3.7, eXplorer.exe, JunkwareRemovalTool.exe, FixTool64.exe, spsetup129.exe, Speccy64.exe, uSeRiNiT.exe, iExplore.exe, esetonlinescanner_enu.exe, Windows6.1-KB947821-v34-x64.msu, GrantPerms64, a number of text files and log files, and quarrantine folders and files.

Also, I ran Secunia, and two of eight needing updates are Microsoft SQL Server 2003 Compact Edition, and Microsoft XML Core Services MSXML 4.x.  I don't know what these programs are, and I am wondering if they can be uninstalled or deleted without affecting some other programs or processes.

Thanks, Jeff

HitmanPro is most likely installed, so you need to uninstall it from your Control Panel.

JunkwareRemovalTool.exe, FixTool64.exe, spsetup129.exe, Speccy64.exe, uSeRiNiT.exe, iExplore.exe, esetonlinescanner_eu.exe, Windows6.1-KB947821-v34-x64.msu, GrantPerms64 and the text files, quarantine folders, etc. can all be deleted manually. 

As for SQL Server and XML Core Services, it's possible that they cannot be uninstalled, since I don't see them listed as installed programs on your system. However, a program you use (I don't know which one) could have dropped some of their components on your system because it needs them in order to work. I used to have them both on an old Windows 8.1 install and it didn't bother me (I detected them via SecuniaPSI as well).

Hello Yoan,

Thank you. Today, I got notice from an automatic update of iTunes that it failed due to insufficient C disk space, and Disk Cleanup popup said it can free up to 1.9 GB on C: disk.  I would ordinarily do this without question, but I thought best to ask you if it is ok to do, given all this work to solve my problem. I have 113 mb free space on C disk now before deleting the files listed in your latest post.

Jeff

Hello Yoan,

I have deleted the files per your instructions.  I reinstalled my printer setup successfully.  However, my laptop doesn't recognize my Samsung S4 android device through the USB cable. It is charging the device, but I also want data transfer, so that I can transfer my images to my laptop. This function was disabled sometime during the fix of my problem.  Earlier, you stated you might be able to help with this issue. Please advise.

Thanks,

Jeff

Glad we could help. :)If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!