New AV from McAfee

pondus

On 10/4/2016 at 11:42 AM, Aura said:

They should just kill the McAfee name and build a new product from scratch at this point.

In all likelihood that's probably what it is (a new product except for the name).  I realize that some of the more technically inclined folks may have a low opinion of McAfee, but it is one of the "big two" in the AV space (along with Norton/Symantec) and is practically a household name, so I'm guessing that Intel intends to keep the McAfee branding on their AV/security products/tools for the sake of marketing.

They've also got a lightweight little portable HIPS app that I've been testing for a while now.  I can't say much about it positive or negative as it hasn't really done much, though it did FP on an installer thanks to its heuristics (classified as "Artemis", which if you check their website, is the name/classification given to objects detected via their heuristics).

Sounds like a all the program does and upload your files to virus total and report any detections. 

There was a similar product that did the same thing. 

I worry about security solutions like these as it takes time to transfer a file from point a to point b, run a scan and send back the results... 

What could happen during this time? If it freezes the file, or locks it during this time... how does it work for larger files that may be malicious or may not be? How long are we waiting for results... 

24 minutes ago, Aura said:

Pretty sure it's against VirusTotal terms of use to do that.

Well there have been "Anti-Virus" applications that have done it in the past. 

Considering this is McAfee, they must just upload it to their own scan engine for results then. Either way there is still going to be a delay in regards to scan time and actually detecting the threat. 

1 minute ago, Aura said:

Which Antivirus did it? I doubt any popular ones actually tried to pull that off.

It wasn't a big name brand AV, I can't remember where I saw it, it was on a security blog like TheHackerNews. It was written in C# I believe and all it did was upload files to VT check the results on the fly. 

If I can figure out the name of it, I'll let you know. 

On 10/11/2016 at 2:55 AM, JordanHook said:

It wasn't a big name brand AV, I can't remember where I saw it, it was on a security blog like TheHackerNews. It was written in C# I believe and all it did was upload files to VT check the results on the fly. 

If I can figure out the name of it, I'll let you know. 

Was it herdProtect? > http://www.herdprotect.com/index.aspx

Edited by pondus

On 10/11/2016 at 1:46 AM, JordanHook said:

Sounds like a all the program does and upload your files to virus total and report any detections. 

There was a similar product that did the same thing. 

I worry about security solutions like these as it takes time to transfer a file from point a to point b, run a scan and send back the results... 

What could happen during this time? If it freezes the file, or locks it during this time... how does it work for larger files that may be malicious or may not be? How long are we waiting for results... 

Arguments against cloud-based antivirus > http://www.pandasecurity.com/mediacenter/malware/arguments-against-cloud-based-antivirus/

What’s The Deal With Machine Learning? >  https://labsblog.f-secure.com/2016/08/26/whats-the-deal-with-machine-learning/

CrowdStrike Machine Learning and VirusTotal > https://www.crowdstrike.com/blog/crowdstrike-machine-learning-virustotal/

Edited by pondus

• 4 weeks later...