Malwarebytes just removed IOBit Driver Booster from my computer. I never installed IOBit.

1 hour ago, Aura said:

Quarantine removes the detection (threat) by moving the file/folder and/or key/entry in the quarantine section of Malwarebytes. If you want, you can delete the content of the quarantine after.

So it basically can't do anything while it's in the quarantine folder, right?

Tracking cookies aren't malicious, at most, they are a "privacy" issue so you're fine :)

Regarding these detections, more programs will start being detected by Malwarebytes following their PUP criteria changes, some programs that you wouldn't think are PUPs as well. So if you're not sure, you're always welcome to ask about them here and wait for a confirmation.

10 minutes ago, Aura said:

Tracking cookies aren't malicious, at most, they are a "privacy" issue so you're fine :)

Regarding these detections, more programs will start being detected by Malwarebytes following their PUP criteria changes, some programs that you wouldn't think are PUPs as well. So if you're not sure, you're always welcome to ask about them here and wait for a confirmation.

I'll just keep it in quarantine for now.

Thanks.

• Root Admin

Even though we've had a bad experience with iObit in the past we've not detected most of their products as PUP or otherwise. As @Aura already mentioned we've taken a stronger stance on PUPs and the Driver Booster falls into the category and why it's detected now and not in the past.

The information below was from our previous experience. As said, even though we've had this prior experience we've not detected iObit products as PUP or threat.

The company behind this product was found to be stealing the MBAM database.
Personally I would not trust installing any software from a company that resorts to stealing someone's technology to sell their product.
Please see the following links and make up your own mind if you want to keep this on your system. If needed, your malware helper can help you remove it.

What "threat" is a registered version of IObits applications? Because you had a beef with them they are now POTENTIALLY unwanted and therefore you need to quarantine them so the buyer - ALSO YOUR CUSTOMER - can't use their software? This is some kind of feud retaliation move you made against that software, as it just started today. Please reverse this and upgrade my software immediately.

From my understanding, IObit Driver Booster falls under the new PUP criteria listed by Malwarebytes earlier this week since it's one of these "driver updater" program.

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/cybercrime/2015/06/driver-updaters-digital-snake-oil-part-2/

And I doubt this is a retaliation from Malwarebytes, since the incident with IObit occured 7 years ago. Don't you think it's a bit late to use that term? Also, I answered your questions in the other thread. This should help you restore your IObit's program functionality.

Edited by Aura

Yes, well maybe you should let the company speak for itself. The article you sent me to was an additional waste of time warning me about potentially an "unscrupulous driver updater program" and suggesting that old drivers aren't that bad. Thanks, but no thanks on that advice. Either say they are doing something underhanded on my computer or leave the application alone.

P.S. Don't use phony logic to make a point - it's lame. If the feud over the definitions wasn't an issue because it was seven years ago, then Malwarebytes staff (Root Admin) wouldn't have brought it up TWO HOURS AGO!

2 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Even though we've had a bad experience with iObit in the past we've not detected most of their products as PUP or otherwise. As @Aura already mentioned we've taken a stronger stance on PUPs and the Driver Booster falls into the category and why it's detected now and not in the past.

The information below was from our previous experience. As said, even though we've had this prior experience we've not detected iObit products as PUP or threat.

The company behind this product was found to be stealing the MBAM database.
Personally I would not trust installing any software from a company that resorts to stealing someone's technology to sell their product.
Please see the following links and make up your own mind if you want to keep this on your system. If needed, your malware helper can help you remove it.

Ron clearly stated in his post that this information was to reflect prior experience with IObit, not "present" experience.

I'm also a computer technician, and I can tell you that most IObit software are useless and borderline dangerous to use. You don't have to take my word for it if you don't want to, but you should know that I'm speaking of experience when I say that. 

Also, I've asked for an employee to step in to answer your questions, for now, we just have to wait.

The instructions you left in your other post don't work. Repeatedly get "Unable to restore quarantined item..." error messages.

(BTW, thanks MODERATOR for shutting down the conversation instead of addressing my concerns - real nice.)

If you don't have anything other than anecdotal evidence and you can't prove there is anything wrong with the software, yet you keep telling the public it is dangerous, that's commonly referred to as libel. Just fix it or process my refund.

malwarebytes.png