Assistance Needed Removing Malware

Ayemac

I can be wordy, so I'll keep this short on purpose. Please let me know if there are specifics that I need to put in this thread.

Long story short, my PC has something - malware, a virus, something. In my experience with others, a clean install/rebuild is about the only clear solution. I'd rather avoid that due to the Windows 10 install no longer being free.

I have McAfee Multi Access Total Protection (PC) that is free from Cox's Security Suite. Not only did it not prevent the issue from loading, a full scan still shows that there are no issues. I also grabbed Malwarebytes and it, too, states no issues. Both are fully up to date, so this is the most perplexing thing to me. On occasion, Malwarebytes will detect something, but the overall issue still exists.

If I open IE11, the main page is hijacked. It seemingly changes just about every time. MS Edge seems to be functioning normally (meaning I can navigate to other sites and the homepage is not hijacked), but IE is the issue.

The initial site seems to be web-start.org, but the random pages it reroutes me to can be (but not limited to) the following:
* support.techonline.com-security.site
* www.uber.com
* smartnewtab.com
* satisfaction-surveys.org
* ridmiffed.xyz (this site prompts for a Flash Player Update, but it's clearly not from Adobe.)

Now interestingly enough, about 1 out of 5 attempts to open IE will prompt me with McAfee's "Whoa! Are you sure you want to go there?" It's their www.siteadvisor.com site. The latest one it recognized was web-start.org, however it doesn't ALWAYS prompt.

Clearly there's an issue. I'd rather not rebuild for a number of reasons. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and :welcome:

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button. button.

x5o4gh.png

• It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.

• The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.